4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:59 pm 

the vss system should be on the back of the speedo gauge.. so unless the signal from the ecu to the tcu got cut it should see signal.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:26 pm 

I think it would. You can read the error codes from the TCU like you can from the ECU using a buzzer/LED/volt meter.

Much information is to be found here: https://w4a33.com/doku.php?id=tcu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:31 am 

slowdsm - i have yanked the whole ECU/TCU along with the harness and replaced it with a 2g turbo set up so the signals come from different locations and I am not completely sure the reed switch signal will be the same as the VSS signal from the 2g sensor.

From what i have gathered, I believe that I can make this work.

Gtiproll - still have to go and salvage a DLC from somewhere so i can check codes etc... more readily.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:59 am 

You can use an LED or a buzzer to read codes. It's really simple.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:34 pm 

Fair enough, I may use the LED method for now. I grabbed a DLC from one of my spare cars and lost it within a day. WTF? i think my cat stole it.

So, speedo is good and I have an in-line VSS coming at some point to provide the ECU with the proper signal.
Tach is operational and have no issues so far. I am using the 1990 tacho interface with no filter.

Everything appears good so far but i have a question. Does the brake light signal need to be tapped and provided to the 2g tcu? I think it may be needed for cruise control operation, which i deleted, but not sure if the TCU needs this signal for anything else.

Can't think of anything else right now..... time to start in on the suspension while i wait for the VSS.

Oh yes, i installed an Apexi muffler to keep it (somewhat) quiet while i finalize a bunch of items. Sounds good! I'll be putting a second one in line later.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:48 am 

Ok, I checked for codes.

ECU - So far the only codes are expected ones due to no rear O2 sensor and no MDP sensor.
TCU - no codes - just have steady heartbeat so everything appears OK. I guess a test drive is in order!

Funnily enough, i can use my scanner to pull up engine info but when I try to pull up transmission info it doesn't want to connect. I can still check the trans codes manually but as I said, I am just getting a steady pulse so far. I am using a Snap-on Verus.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:09 am 

Quick update... Wiring is 98% done. Interestingly enough, I ordered a VSS that will give me a signal like the 2g style and still retain the cable drive. I haven't recieved it yet but probably won't need it. As it turns out, the transmission is shifting through all the gears flawlessly right now. So it seems that with all the info out there, in my instance, the signal from the REED switch is compatible with the 2g TCU.

SCORE!

Also, forgot to wire the reverse lights in. Oops!