4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:51 am 

So, my list of projects just got interrupted by another project that was supposed to be further down the list. It was either get rid of the 93 vista with no motor or transmission or build it. I choose build it!

I began on Friday with a degrease and pulled the wire harness, (going to be using a 2g talon harness 2g brains)

Next, I installed a 7 bolt 4g63 with a 2ga auto trans and transfer case (will be using 2g turbo TCU as well)

Most likely the turbo will be from an RVR but i have a T28 here that i would like to try at some point as well, we'll see on that one.
Evo3 exhaust mani with E3 o2 housing and 2 1/2 - 3" turbo back.

So far over the weekend I have set the motor in place and customized a couple motor mounts. The rear mount was a mutant assembly of two different mounts and the passenger side transmission mount was the original 4g64 mount but cut up and re-fabbed into a slightly different alignment. Not sure if there was another passenger mount that would have worked better for me at this point but this is what i did cause, well, I didn't learn to weld for no reason.

Engine bay wires are coming along but I have yet to start splicing the interior side of the harness.

Still have to locate my intercooler that i have for this project (as i put it somewhere safe) and then i can order the radiator I want. Probably going with a Scirocco style rad from Summit.

Axles and driveshaft are installed and front brakes and suspension will be upgraded but I'll wait a bit on that.

How are we doing pictures here now? I was using photobucket but not any longer.
I'll post some when i get it figured out or maybe just link to instagram.

I wasn't planning on doing this project right now but I am glad to get started. It has helped me clean a few things out of the garage. Turns out i have 8 fruit and banana motors out there! haha.

Anyhow, I have to run for now. Wish me luck! 8) :supz: :supz:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:12 am 
The Silent Administrator

You can upload photos to the onsite photo album. It is a single file upload process, but they will stick around unlike linking to other sites.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:31 pm 

Pic of intercooler, etc... fitment so far.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:32 pm 

top view

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:18 pm 

I'm almost ready for startup. Tonight I'm going to post a few pics into my gallery and see if I can work out a couple of things before tomorrow. Hoping I can finalize my necessary connections in the morning and start working on an exhaust later in the day.

First is a few photos of my wiring identification merging a 1993 vista body harness with a 95 talon engine harness There may be some conflicting info as i was pretty tired when i started it but i'm pretty sure it is accurate.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:36 pm 

Well, that sucks. gallery isn't working. Unable to handle request......

Here are two that worked.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:12 am 

Ok, so in regards to the above post.

B64 looks to be nearly all cruise control related. I don't think I'll need to use anything from here. Although, there are still 4 wires to identify on this one.

Not as many connections to make on A32 - A47 as it first seems. Wires marked with an x are considered not needed, mostly A/C wiring which i dont have.

Wire 5 on A32 still needs ID .

I am curious about the necessity of the two alternator wires. I have installed the Vista alternator so the wiring is slightly different. Does the ECU require this info and if so can I still use the Vista alternator or will I need to switch to a 2g alt.?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:28 am 

I'm not sure anymore. But I think the ECU doesn't care about the two wires. Think it uses one to disable the voltage regulator during cranking and startup (less load). The other to bump up the idle when there is a high load on the alternator.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:59 am 

Ah, thanks GtiProll.

Got the car "running" today. I only ran it for ten seconds or so but a sweet ten seconds it was! So now its time to clean up the wiring and put the exhaust together, then the real testing can begin. Booya!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:49 pm 

You need lightning so you can scream "IT'S ALIVE!"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:34 am 

Tied off a few loose ends today. Extended a few wires, clamped all the boots together, installed brake booster and master, some of the exhaust got welded, sorted out the vacuum lines, installed a rad fan, blah, blah, blah.

Test drive is inevitable! Just need to decide on fuse box / battery locations.

After that, it is time for AFPR, fuel pump rewire, boost gauge, wideband, ECU programming, the list goes on........

Then I will start working on the suspension, brakes, wheels, I guess I should do something about my dented fender.

By the way, still having troubles uploading pics. I uploaded one today but others don't seem to want to work.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:50 pm 

This build looks incredibly nice. What kind of ECU will you be using? Do you consider ECMlink or an Evo ECU with Openport/Ecuflash?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:21 am 

Thanks, to start with, it will be a stock 98 ECU until I'm ready to tune, then flashed as needed with Ecuflash. Later on down the road I will be using ECMLink V3 or perhaps TunerPro RT.

Car now moves under its own power so I started pulling out gauges and pods that I want to use. Looks like I'll be working on finishing the exhaust next, with Wideband O2 bung, AFPR, boost gauge, etc....

Getting exciting!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:43 pm 

I use TunerPro RT with my custom ADX file for logging my 4G15 Colt. I doubt it will replace ECMLink or Ecuflash for your purposes.
Ecmlink is expensive but powerful.
Ecuflash is reasonably expensive but for my taste too confused.

This build is awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:46 am 

Thanks man.

ran into a small snag today. Seems like the transmission may be stuck in limp mode. Guess I'll have some more detective work to do. Drives great otherwise. :supz:

Question: I am using the Vista speedo cable so would the lack of a signal from the VSS cause the limp mode?