4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 1:27 pm 

Hello everyone,

I drive a '91 Colt with a 4G15 12 valve. I've done a few mods to it. At the moment, I'm into reprogramming the ECU, constructing logger cables, and so on.
Reprogramming the ECU means I tweak the ignition advance and AFR tables, utilizing different MAFs. Even think about adding launch control. :lol: In theory that ECU software can be run on any 1st generation MPI ECU, think Galant and DSM with 4G63 SOHC and 4G37. Really great for mods like turbocharging.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:52 am 
The Silent Administrator

Hi GTiProll,

Breath of fresh air to see someone new and willing to modify the ECU.

Many have found a little more power with slight timing changes to match a larger throttle body and injectors like from the Hyundai Sonata SOHC but any throttle body with larger opening, can have the same effect.

Also, a free flowing muffler and a 1/8" upsize in exhaust diameter can make for better flow out and not lose torque.

I did the 4g37 mods with MAF, muffler and exhaust and the car drove kind of funny because of the timing and fuel tables not being matched to the cams but it was somewhat peppy.

IF I had to do it again, the exhaust I would do.

For the intake, it is good you can tune the ECU to account for the changes, because MAF and injector swaps are hard to work around if the ECU cannot be hard written into new code, like using SAFCII devices to fool the ECU air flow circuit - big issues at higher HP levels, less so at 92 HP.

Quite a few members from Germany are here and in the FB group CSM Performance.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 11:46 am 
Restricted Newbie

Welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 6:03 pm 

Thank you for the welcome.

The larger bore throttle body you are referring to is what I have in mind. It also has the provisions for the EGR system, the A and E labelled ports. Mine's off a Galant. I'm looking forward to retrofitting an EGR system, using this throttle body and the intake manifold of a Proton 315. Wiring up the EGR solenoid and forcing the ECU into CA emissions mode it should all work out in theory.
Not only will it reduce nasty NOx emissions, it will enable me to run more spark advance at part throttle.

My stock injectors should be enough for 110-120 HP @80% duty cycle. At the moment I never logged them over 67%.
With the right MAF compensations/tables programmed into the ECU's EPROM, it should work flawlessly with the larger MAF. I plan to use one from a Lancer GTi (C68) which is rougly comparable to a 1G DSM NT MAF.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:41 pm 
The Silent Administrator

You will be knee deep in no time, but you are well prepared ... more prepared than most. Sounds like a really fun project.

Keep us posted as things progress!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 5:23 am 

It will be knee deep indeed. The road map so far looks as follows:

* Tweak timing and AFR maps to look whether I can get that working nicely. Momentarily I run 98 RON fuel but will revert to 95 RON soon. The car pulls HARD but on the verge of knock.

* Modify MAF comp tables to the bigger MAF and run it - once I have the correct tables.

* Check if the software I run on my ECU can be programmed to support EGR

* Get correct values for calculated airflow from the ECU. At the moment I'm estimating them from my logs by rpm, MAF Hz, and TPS. I also think of adding a MAP sensor and logging that on the EGR temperature input

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:29 pm 

Quote:
It will be knee deep indeed. The road map so far looks as follows:

* Tweak timing and AFR maps to look whether I can get that working nicely. Momentarily I run 98 RON fuel but will revert to 95 RON soon. The car pulls HARD but on the verge of knock.

* Modify MAF comp tables to the bigger MAF and run it - once I have the correct tables.

* Check if the software I run on my ECU can be programmed to support EGR

* Get correct values for calculated airflow from the ECU. At the moment I'm estimating them from my logs by rpm, MAF Hz, and TPS. I also think of adding a MAP sensor and logging that on the EGR temperature input
1. Seems I can get that up and running

2. We'll see; maybe I'll rather use the 1G Turbo MAF as I have its data

3. IT WORKS! I can log load.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 1:10 pm 

I'm trying to modify the rev limiter. Can't find the bloody part of the code disassembling in manually. I'll have to invent something.
Got scared the other day because the car wouldn't pull anymore - like hitting a rev limiter. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:06 am 
The Silent Administrator

There may be something similar in the 1G ECU code? I have some data files located here: Click Me

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:04 pm 

Thanks for the heads up. But the code isn't even close to the DSM one. It has a lot of similarities. Sometimes down to exactly the same code. But it differs in the memory locations used and especially the crank angle calculation handler routine. I don't understand what they are doing. Their code doesn't make any sense at all. Like stupid jumps that only mess up the stack.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:27 pm 
The Silent Administrator

I think you are 100% further into this than 99.995% of the people that traditionally browse the forum.

I am trying to think of the name of the website and founder/operator of Mitsubishi self tuning ECU software. I believe the fellow has a GVR4, and was in Scandinavia - I was a member of the site and collective that had access to chat about the product and how to develop it, but the names escape me currently. It was something like Klaxon .....

I put out a feeler on a FB group to see if anyone remembers the name and the site where he was developing a self tuning 4g63 software/program. He would be savvy like you too.

Found him: Kim H - Swedensity

YT https://www.youtube.com/user/basshead2496/

Galantvr4.org site link to show his membership name

KaxLon

http://www.kaxlon.com/?fbclid=IwAR3YAIw ... XvWgdOduSA

https://www.facebook.com/swededensity

Hope his contact info helps in some way. He knows his way around the 4g63 ecu's, and can maybe help reverse engineer a similar setup - albeit a chaotic one as you have mentioned.

www.dsmecu.com

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:51 am 

Why didn't I think of that? I actually know his Youtube channel. I should try to contact him.
Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:13 am 

Meanwhile I got ahold of another version of the 4G15 ECU software. It is even more confused than what I work with. It appears to be an older, less refined version. No new knowledge gained here.

My Palm based logger works great so far. Except that it keeps wiggling in the cradle while driving, loosing connection every now and then. It has been annoying me enough so that I constructed and buildt an USB logger cable. It works just fine. TunerPro RT is my software of choice as it is powerful and easily accessable. I use KaxLon's ADX until I get everything up and going for my own ADX file.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:59 am 
The Silent Administrator

Maybe you can construct something like an elastic or bungee cord type removable hold down accessory for your palm logger?
Short of a contraption that has some sort of swing over lock down bar, it seems like the most useful DIY thing I could imagine doing.
Our cars aren't exactly as smooth over bumps as the new multi link cars and even newer MacPherson strut versions.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:11 pm 

I was thinking about Velcro type fasteners glued to the Cradle and Palm. Maybe I will go cheap and use duct tape for the time being until I have creted an ADX that suits my needs.
My car is lowered as well and I run a high tire pressure - convenient is something else....!

In the meanwhile I got sidetracked yet again and started constructing an adapter to run 1G DSM MAFs. I wonder if it idles well at all? The scalings are off by at least 20 - 27%, depending upon method of calculation used.