Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:01 am 
The Silent Administrator

We are still watching and listening ... and excited to see updates. :popcorn:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:26 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

...and another update to finish out the weekend. The lower intercooler pipe is complete and fits perfect! Cutting and fitting the pipe was the easy part. I still need a LOT of practice welding aluminum!

Bad picture angle - getting the pipes perfectly aligned was a challenge, but not bad.

First tack weld

Now here’s the pipe tacked up. Notice some failed attempts to tack the pipes together where I burned a hole instead of getting filler in the weld. This was a constant problem even at low amps (60 amps). The edges of the pipe liked to pull in, away from the torch, when they started to melt making it really tough to fill the weld and get it to connect to the other pipe. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong, but this pipe took a LONG time to weld and I had to take a few breaks before I threw the welder in the trash. The final product is a perfect-fitting pipe at least!

It fits!

Probably my best weld on the whole pipe. I need lots of practice.

I have a pipe beader on the way and I’m cleaning up the welds since most of them are not presentable. At least the pipe is sealed and will hold pressure!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:43 pm 
Some call me a god

your pictures are HUGE

2003 Lancer Evolution 57k original miles
1992 Montero LS
1989 Plymouth Colt GT (AWD project)
1989 Dodge Colt GT

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:52 am 

The cheaper aluminum pipes are tough for someone whos new to tig. The alloy seems softer than others I've tried, good job sticking with it. Did you do any cleaning or prep work to the pipe before starting?

White Colt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:16 pm 

I post using my cellphone and imgur hosting. Not sure how to change the sizes! Looks good on my phone but I checked it out on PC and see how huge they are.

Wheatley, these chinabay pipes SUCK, but I was able to make it work. I also have zero experience Tig welding but I’m pretty confident I can avoid the mistakes I made with this pipe. For starters, yes I did clean it but in the future I will ensure that I clean the inside of the pipe also, because that was a big issue. Second, heat is everything with this thin crap, I burned through a few times and made a big mess. I almost had to throw the pipe away but was able to salvage it. It’s not pretty, but it’s sealed. I think I may remake the pipe in the future with some better stuff

Here’s a picture of the fiasco. I burned a hole in the pipe because it was very thin, got contamination in the metal from the inside of the pipe, and I continued making it worse. I finally figured out to let the pipe completely cool down, hit it hard and fast with amperage and filler, and then work the torch around to get it to flow out. It’s ugly. The pipe alloy is crap.

Got it filled in eventually. I learned a LOT with this problem...

Also got a cool bead roller. It’s the Jeg’s tool off amazon. Seems to be exactly the same as a bunch of others under different brand names. These used to go for what, $300? I got it for about $100. We’ll worth it in my opinion.

Pipe is complete besides a little cleanup work. I’ll be making the upper IC pipe today/tomorrow and I’m sure it will go faster and with fewer problems!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:12 pm 

Another one.

Upper intercooler pipe is complete! I’m getting better at Tig welding aluminum, but obviously not a pro. Not bad for just buying a welder and jumping into it I suppose.

Mocked up the pipe and tacked it.

Welded on the bench

Actually got a decent bead. Maybe one day I can produce something presentable.. for now this works.

Pipe fits well. No interference issues with anything.

Next up was to weld the IAT sensor bung. It was a challenge but not too bad.

Again, welds aren’t perfect but they work!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:06 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Keep it up!

It is all coming together.