4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:33 am 
The Silent Administrator

Thank you for that massive update!!!

You are one of the guys that inspired so many around the world. Pictures say it all!

Also, we constantly taut your use of the GVR4 twin pot upgrade as the first brake upgrade option.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:10 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Nice thank you for the update and pictures. I always wondered what happened to this car and glad it's still on the road

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:00 am 
The happy administrator

Quote:

It has been nearly 9 years since I had the car in a drivable mode and I am amazed at how old I’ve gotten. The car is raw, grumpy and takes a lot of effort to drive – god it’s fun – but this isn’t something I would appreciate driving every day and I don’t think it’s something I could.

I know this feeling, I've recently come across it myself after getting mine back on the road. I've started to miss the interior and the open dump is just ridiculously loud. The seats hurt my ass and I feel like a tuna crammed into a can. It rides like a lumber truck with the stiff springs and adjustable shocks cranked high. The steering is heavy, it cuts in too fast with too much camber, everything rattles and shakes. It's crude, loud, rough, and any rational person would be appalled to have to ride in it for longer than a few minutes. After racking up 140 miles in a few days of test+tune, I fell back in love with it. :flux:

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:01 pm 
Some call me a god

Awesome write up! I think I got my colt the same year, still don't plan on ever getting rid of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:46 pm 

12 years, let's see. I've probably had 15 other Mitsu's since then, possibly more :lol: .

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of health issues were you having and did you get them sorted?

This is one of the cars I remember from early on here. Always thought it was so cool. Please forgive me for asking as I'm sure you covered it somewhere here but what size wheels are those?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:25 am 
CSM Junkie

Hey Mirageman, dont think i've had that many cars in that time! certainly done a few mitsis' though.

92 V6 6A12 Galant - Loved this so smooth to drive, I had the Twin Turbo model when i lived in NZ 20 years ago.
98 V6 6G74 Diamante/Verada - Crusiey daily, was slammed and bounced around everywhere.
95 4G63T RVR Sports Gear- Absolute POS, terrible car, like driving and overpower shoebox.
2x 2007 V6 6G75 380's - Like the American Galant of that year but modified for Australia, fantastic cars but a bit thirsty on the fuels.

Moved onto Ford's now, missus has a new Focus S and i'm driving a new Fiesta ST - which i think is the perfect city commuter. The urge to sell all the Fords & Borg for a Focus RS has been very real!

As for health, a had a stroke about 3 years ago that left me with dozens of severe daily headaches. I spent about 3 months in bed after it happened and it took me 6 months before i could tie my shoes. Its been much better now though but my lifestyle has had to change significantly in order to keep it managed.

Wheels are 17"x7.5

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:01 pm 

Wow, a stroke! Glad you are all better man. I bet that was pretty damn scary to say the least.

I considered a Fiesta ST as well, they are sweet cars. But in the end we cheaped out and bought a used 15 Mirage ES to bump around on. Now the Focus RS, wow. Saw one in white at the Ford Dealership a few months ago. One of the best looking cars out there in my opinion.

I think you're the only guy here that can pull off 17's on a 3g. I always thought 16" would be the max but those look great. Especially with those big brakes sitting behind them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:01 am 
CSM Junkie

7 Months since the last update and a few things have happened to this nugget.

1. the clutch was "dragging" - it would shift okay'ish below 3krpm but anything above and it was almost impossible to change gears. Give the throttle a blip to 5krpm when stationary with the clutch in and 1st gear selected and the car would lurch forward. I spent months changing the whole clutch hydraulic system, new master, slave, braided lines adjusted and bleed dozens of times. but it just wouldnt fully disengage.

Ended up pulling the gearbox and found the brand new flywheel was 0.1mm out from the tight end of the specification, which is bloody stupid as i would have thought something new would have been correct out of the box. Had the flywheel machined down about 0.2mm, then reassembled and fruit and banana me, perfect clutch feel and shifting!

2. that fruit and banana sump and bloody oil leaks, made from the finest chinesium and unbeknown to me the reason the transfer case was hard to slide on was because it was self clearancing against the sump and making it look like swiss cheese. fruit and banana sake.

Put some chewing gum in the hole and finally, after how many years - the car is leak free!

Its all been fixed for the last few weeks and i've been driving it around a lot, its bloody hot going without air con, but so much fun!
I do love this picture, there hasnt been many days over the last 10 years where this car could be outside - but next to the RS (sold the Fiesta and regret it) it reminds me of an older sibling showing the youngin how it should be.

...anyway seems tomorrow, 3rd of Jan is a Mitsubishi vs Subaru night at Kwinanna Motorplex and well, that seems a fitting debut for this thing. No idea what it will run down the quarter, but if it survives a pass without killing me i'll be happy!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:03 am 
CSM Junkie

It's a good days racing when you can drive to the strip and back home again all in one piece!

No major issues at the motorplex today, I only did two runs with the first being a 12.9 @ 112mph and the second was a 14.2 @ 101mph - due to 3 crunched gears in a row but both with 2.1s 60'.

It was the first time i've taken this car to the strip so i did learn a lot, especially about how to better setup the car.
  1. Launch Control needs enabling, will make it a lot easier than bouncing the revs around.
  2. "No Lift to Shift" would help a lot with the turbo lagg between gear changes.
  3. Shift point should be just below 7krpm the gearbox doesn't like anything above that (single syncros)
  4. Rev limiter needs changing from "Soft" to "Hard", near the end of the run i'm tapping out 4th gear into the Soft limit
  5. Need something to keep the W2A water circulating with the fans going while the motors off, there was quite a bit of heat soak.
  6. Engine Coolant Sensor seems buggered, it bounces around all over the shop during the run.
  7. Boost was recorded at 18psi, so there is still 3 or 4psi more in this tune.
I setup the ECU to log the run and have a bunch of data to review later, but I did notice the Wideband didnt log for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q2rux2nkZU < in car video

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:21 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Nice to see some updates. Must be kind of nice to get it out and about, and down the track and back!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:54 am 
CSM Junkie

Yea its good alright! but taken far too long.

I will get back soon though, with a few small tweaks - there is plenty left in there!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:06 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Hey, out of curiosity I have been seeing some issues with a possible HG switch with RS owners that had gaskets go bad. Any relation to your model? [ur;=https://jalopnik.com/did-ford-install-t ... 1821665968]Click me[/url]

Hoping there is a way for some owners to find out which gasket is in their car, AS built at the factory.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:16 am 
CSM Junkie

Hey MrEagle,

Yes been following that closely, seems the early model RS (< May 2017) have a Mustang EcoBoost head gasket installed that has some unneeded coolant passages between the cylinders. Doesnt seem to be an issue with "blowing" head gaskets, but when the cars are turned off the coolant boils in cylinder bore bridge causing the failure.

There are some videos on youtube showing how to check the version of the headgasket thats installed, mine has the one prone to failure so i've suspended any plans to tune it as i dont want a shit fight later.

Rumour is a fix is coming in a few months so i will hold tight until then, or perhaps trade it in - not sure yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:15 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Quote:
Hey MrEagle,

Yes been following that closely, seems the early model RS (< May 2017) have a Mustang EcoBoost head gasket installed that has some unneeded coolant passages between the cylinders. Doesnt seem to be an issue with "blowing" head gaskets, but when the cars are turned off the coolant boils in cylinder bore bridge causing the failure.

There are some videos on youtube showing how to check the version of the headgasket thats installed, mine has the one prone to failure so i've suspended any plans to tune it as i dont want a shit fight later.

Rumour is a fix is coming in a few months so i will hold tight until then, or perhaps trade it in - not sure yet.
Very happy to hear there may be a fix, obviously no one is please that any owner should have to go through issues like this, but let us all hope there is light at the end of the tunnel.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:20 am 

Very awesome car!

White Colt

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next