4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:16 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Quote:
Your a beast, it looks amazing and your still putting in more effort to perfect it lol. Props to you man I love the color too
Thanks man! I'm really liking how the car is coming along so far.

Video update #2. Got most of the engine bay sorted out and looking to drop the motor and transmission in soon.

https://youtu.be/jlj1VTV530M

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:11 pm 

Great job once again. Also you can buy cable ties with the little clips on them FYI. I have a bag here to replace the old brittle ones like that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:29 am 

Quote:
Great job once again. Also you can buy cable ties with the little clips on them FYI. I have a bag here to replace the old brittle ones like that.
Where do you get yours from? I haven't seen them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:02 pm 

Need some help. Which way does the sway bar mount? It can be installed 180* out and it works both ways.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:30 am 
The Silent Administrator

Only one way will clear the factory rear mount which is already a close shave near the hoop in the bar. I suppose it also barely installs one way (the correct way) with everything around it already installed in the car. That is the best advice I can give as I installed an Elantra bar with everything else installed around it, and my turbo setup just needed bushings when it got fiddled with.

The FSM only give a few clues as to orientation at the end points, Click ME

Here is partsouq's diagram ASA interpretation:

Click Me

I think I have it, the hoop that clears the rear mount, should be pointing up like a mountain in a landscape scenery scenario. This leaves the outer ends of the sway bar, angled slightly upwards, versus downwards compared to a flat plane with the ground.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:14 pm 

Thanks Flyin' Eagle - I'll keep bolting things up and make sure it still fits. I was having issues since 99% of diagrams I can find show the 1.5L vs the Turbo car. Thanks again, will post update soon.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:22 pm 
Some call me a god

Liking the blue!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:59 pm 

Long time no update!

I would check off a list of excuses but they're just that -excuses! I'll make an update video soon, but here's the cliff notes

I had to move to a new place. Luckily the garage is a little larger here.

I finished the engine.. made a solid bracket for the GM alternator. I'll have to go back and make a tensioner for it, but for now it's hand-tensioned and should be able to run like it is.

I installed the engine in the bay. It was actually a PITA to get all the mounts to line up. I've installed hundreds of 4G63's, mostly in 1G's. This is the hardest time I've had.

I worked on numerous other items on the car, most of which were small potatoes. One problem I need to find a final solution to is using the AWD half-shaft in the F5M33 FWD trans. I know it should be a "bolt in and go" item but for some reason it's not for my setup. I've been through 3-4 shafts, one of which may or may not work.

The latest endeavor was the fuel tank. I had an aftermarket tank:

Notice the holes for the fuel pump hanger and fuel level sending unit are both circular... the OEM pump hanger is pentagon-shaped, and the fuel sender I got for it is triangle-shaped...

I fitted a Walbro 450LPH to the pump hanger. It's taller than the OEM pump so at first I tried to separate the lower portion of the fuel pump cradle from the bracket and then extend it, but it would have been too tall and would not fit the tank which is 8" deep. So I cut the bottom of the bracket off, cut off the factory clamping mechanism that used to hold the OEM pump, and used a wormgear clamp to attach the pump. Of course, the next issue was that the wires from the fuel pump were too short to even make it out of the tank, so I extended the wires and attached the plug that came with it. I'll be using a pump rewire kit with a power wire directly to the battery.

The next hurdle was the fuel level sending unit. I didn't have the original sender at all, and as you would probably expect, they don't exist anywhere anymore. I started research with the Mitsu tech manuals and found that the 89' Mirage sending unit has a 0 ohm - 100 ohm range (Full - Empty). The older Mitsu's, like 1G eclipses had the same range, so I went to the junkyard to get one and figured I could modify it to work. Unfortunately the only one there was rusted beyond use, so I started pulling senders out of random Mitsu's. I didn't want to use a 2G Eclipse sender because the range was 0-75 ohm, meaning it would read "full" correctly but when the gauge read "empty" it would actually have around 1/4 tank.

I ended up leaving the junkyard with a fuel level sender from a 2003 Lancer. I had no idea at the time, but it actually had the same 0-100 ohm range as the Mirage. I don't usually get lucky and the good fortune was very welcome. Unfortunately the sender was too tall and had that triangle flange...

I needed to shorten the assembly up by about 1/2" and luckily this unit was easy to modify. I just cut the slit larger with a cut-off wheel and moved it all upwards. I drilled a new screw hole to lock it in and everything fits now.

Now, miraculously the screw holes on the sending unit's triangle-shaped flange matched up with the screwholes in the circular ring on the tank perfectly. Unfortunately, the float would have been blocked when the tank was filled and it would have never read "full". I had to re-position the sending unit and drill/tap 3 new holes.

Now I need to get a new filler hose and mount the tank.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:31 pm 

Awesome find on the fuel level sender! Especially now that 3rd gens are so damn rare and finding parts is getting next to impossible.

It's coming along nicely too!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:07 pm 

Thanks 89Mirageman. I always think about how clean your builds are and how cruddy mine are 😂.

In this case, I did take a lot of time on the engine bay and did a thorough clean of the interior compartment, but the exterior of the car and undercarriage is being left alone for the most part. It had pretty bad roof rust that I cut out and have yet to finish patching the roof. I’m also planning to AWD swap it in the future, so I figure I can get the car rolling for now and when I paint and swap it I’ll completely go through the exterior.

Small update: fuel tank completely installed and -6AN fuel line is up to the engine bay. I have to fabricate a new bracket for the fuel filter because the -6AN line can’t run the exact same path as the original fuel line and it’s hard to keep it from rubbing on the rack & pinion boots with the filter sitting the same way as stock.

I also installed new KYB struts in the rear and put new rear brakes in.

I’m starting to turn attention towards fabricating an intake system and received a universal intercooler pipe kit from “blackhorse Racing” on Amazon. For $105 I got a pretty decent aluminum pipe kit that I can use for the intercooler.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:59 am 
Some call me a god

I'm so glad this thing is still getting love!!!

84 GMC K3500
85 Dodge D50 Diesel Swap
90 Mighty Max V6
89 Mirage Turbo
94 Mighty Max
99 Montero

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:24 pm 

Quote:
I'm so glad this thing is still getting love!!!

Haha yeah man. I don’t know how many years this thing little guy has been out of commission but it’s going to be alive again one of these days! I still have the Evo poster you gave me - all framed up and everything. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:59 pm 

ZOINKS!

This is SERIOUS! :o Truly great schtuff... Thanks for taking the time to archive this! :wtg:

Cheers!,

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:29 pm 

Looks pretty clean to me lol but thanks for the compliment. I really need to start a build thread on this 95 Summit coupe turd that I picked up about a year ago. It truly should have been crushed or parted but hey I was bored and it was $250 running and driving.

After working a few dents out and replacing the doors and fender from my 94 parts car. Also scored a better hood and D/S fender at the yard. Still a ton of work needed but way better.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:14 pm 

WHAT’S UP BOYS!!!

Long delay in the updates but this project is still going. Since my last post, I finished a master’s degree, changed career fields and moved twice. Now we’re happily settled in the Southwest where there is ZERO humidity and, apparently, beautiful weather all the time. Progress on the build has been made:

I got one of the nice STM racing oil coolers and mounted it:

I took the old intercooler from my Evo and re-purposed it on the Mirage. Had to cut the center mounting bracket and re-weld it so it could be mounted on the radiator support. Then chopped the passenger-side outlet and welded a 90-degree elbow. Short-route piping will be a breeze.

IC mounted before welding on the new mounting bracket and elbow. This would have never worked with a short-route pipe setup.

I got the bracket re-welded to center the IC correctly and then cut and welded the new elbow on:

The welds aren’t aesthetically perfect, this elbow was my first time welding aluminum. Oh yeah, I bought a TIG to do this.

I’m starting out with a 16G, had a DSM j-pipe laying around and of course it didn’t clear the radiator, so I chopped and re-worked it. I’m sure this will still be in the way of something, but I wanted to do my best with it since I’ve never welded stainless either. The rod I used worked great, but I don’t believe it’s the kind of filler rod most companies use for aesthetics. I picked up a rod that is compatible with a wide range of stainless alloys so I wouldn’t have any issues with incompatibility. Anyway, the J-pipe works now.

I’m waiting on a 45-degree coupler for the NT throttle body and then I’ll make the upper IC pipe. Working on the lower now... it’s a pain. More updates soon!