4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:57 pm 
CSM Junkie

love the pic of the shards on the pick up tube. wow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:54 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Quote:
love the pic of the shards on the pick up tube. wow
The bearing on the bent rod was 99% gone.. others were spun & trashed lol. Motor seemed to be hurt from the get go but I just ignored it and turned the boost up.

Got that rad & fan kind of mocked in place.. might melt the fan might not idk

Also got the passenger side bolted up. Hopefully get the drives side done and rad mounted tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:37 am 

fast forward a week. have put about 20 miles on the car. new motor seems very healthy.

couple hiccups so far.. balance shaft check bolt never made its way back in so it puked a bit of oil and freaked me out.
160 t-stat i had in the car for last shootout was stuck open along with the single rad fan wasnt enough to keep the car cool. did some more modding, got the radiator tucked into the core support, went back to summit and picked up 2 spal fans that hopefully alleviate my overheating problems. last night i let the car idle for a good half hour and temps stayed right at 180. didn't drive it but plan on taking a bit of a cruise tonight to see if it's going to be ok or not. plan C is to chop a hole in the hood above the turbo/manifold to help get some heat out of the bay.

a rad shroud wouldnt hurt either

plan for tonight is to give it a bath and get some more miles on it. my wideband sensor appears to be dead, have a new one coming and wont be here until tomorrow. gauge will read like normal for a few minutes and then randomly pegs full rich to 7.5 and the car gets upset (simulating o2 from wideband)

idle video for your viewing pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnr1v5OqRyQ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:14 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Question: do you have a spill free funnel to get the system fully bled of air?

Trying to think of ways to burp the system, or rather keep the air moving to the highest point and not get sucked back in once you want to cap it. I use the big yellow spill free "funnel", and it worls wonders.

Also, how much do you trust the rad cap you are using?
I have only been trusting OEM thermostats and rad caps where applicable, and am having better results.

I wonder how many CFM those Spals are good for; must move a metric ton of air each!! I like it.

Definitely consider a heat wrap of some sort for the headers and or a ceramic treatment to top it off. Even just a giant blanket would do winded for your underhood temps.

Hve you blocked all pathways around the sides of the radiator? I would think that would help air go through the path of least resistance and by that I mean radiator (fans on or not). My fans are not shrouded and with a 50mm core, seem to do well so far even with the AC condenser in place. Your setup makes way more power, so I'm trying to figure out what you and I have done differently. I do also have foam at the rad support underside that keeps any air directed into the core, so it can't go over the top, bottom or sides. Well, as little as possible.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:57 am 

Quote:
Question: do you have a spill free funnel to get the system fully bled of air?

Trying to think of ways to burp the system, or rather keep the air moving to the highest point and not get sucked back in once you want to cap it. I use the big yellow spill free "funnel", and it worls wonders.

Also, how much do you trust the rad cap you are using?
I have only been trusting OEM thermostats and rad caps where applicable, and am having better results.

I wonder how many CFM those Spals are good for; must move a metric ton of air each!! I like it.

Definitely consider a heat wrap of some sort for the headers and or a ceramic treatment to top it off. Even just a giant blanket would do winded for your underhood temps.

Hve you blocked all pathways around the sides of the radiator? I would think that would help air go through the path of least resistance and by that I mean radiator (fans on or not). My fans are not shrouded and with a 50mm core, seem to do well so far even with the AC condenser in place. Your setup makes way more power, so I'm trying to figure out what you and I have done differently. I do also have foam at the rad support underside that keeps any air directed into the core, so it can't go over the top, bottom or sides. Well, as little as possible.
Yea I have that big yellow funnel as well. I'm pretty confident most of the air is out of the system.

After driving around last night, temps still seem to want to creep to 200+ on the highway. Also my LC1 keeps getting stuck at 7.5 even with a new sensor. That + simulating narrowband = a bad time.

The spal on the pass side is rated at 625cfm, drivers side is 590 (summit only had 1 of the higher cfm fan :()

This is the third diff rad cap I've tried, doesn't seem to make a difference. Second t-stat.

I haven't done any ducting yet, that is the plan for tonight. The two differences w/ the car from when I originally got it (and it ran at 180 degrees no matter what) is I no longer have a colt bumper with a huge mouth on it, and I have a different FMIC. There's very little holding me back from punching a bunch of 3" holes in the bumper right in front of the radiator at this point. I'd really like to be able to drive the car without staring at the water temp gauge non-stop.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:53 am 

Ducted the crap out of it, hole sawed the front bumper, put a reverse hood scoop right above turbo/manifold. Car just likes to run at 200 degrees now (even with a 180 t-stat)

I don't get it but I'm just living with it for now.

Got it on the dyno yesterday, made 471/355 @ 33psi (bleeding off to ~30psi at ~8k rpm). Car is a riot. We also put a full 3" exhaust on the car with a resonator and muffler so now it's almost enjoyable to drive aside from the heim joint squeaks and rattles lol.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:32 pm 

pics since everyone loves pics:

flying high

holey holey holey (theres a summit wrx style hood scoop on top of the ugly now)

managed to sneak in a resonator and straight through magnaflow muffler that actually came on the colt when i bought it. it's almost too quiet at idle now lmao

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:37 pm 

Bringing back the reverse WRX scoop like Ray's back in the day. Almost same color scheme too.

I had similar overheating issues and chased it like you did. I ended up ditching the plastic end-tanked radiator ( very similar to the one you're running now) and found a Griffin Radiator on Craigslist. I went from two fans on my old setup to one 13" Permacool on the new one because that's all I could fit and it still solved my overheating immediately. I actually had to take out my 160 thermostat and put a 180 in it because it wouldn't get all the way up to temp.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:22 am 

Quote:
Bringing back the reverse WRX scoop like Ray's back in the day. Almost same color scheme too.

I had similar overheating issues and chased it like you did. I ended up ditching the plastic end-tanked radiator ( very similar to the one you're running now) and found a Griffin Radiator on Craigslist. I went from two fans on my old setup to one 13" Permacool on the new one because that's all I could fit and it still solved my overheating immediately. I actually had to take out my 160 thermostat and put a 180 in it because it wouldn't get all the way up to temp.
That was my next plan of attack.. summit has a scirocco-sized radiator w/ fan & shroud for $400-something - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gri- ... /overview/ No idea if it will fit, and it looks like the cap will be in the way.. but considering buying that.

Two nights ago I threw a clean piece of cardboard under the car to try and pin point what leaks I had and from where. Had a few oil leaks that I'm not too worried about, and one coolant leak. Looks like the hard lines coming from my heater core are not happy. Bypassed it for now, see if it makes a difference.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:36 pm 

Quote:
That was my next plan of attack.. summit has a scirocco-sized radiator w/ fan & shroud for $400-something - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gri- ... /overview/ No idea if it will fit, and it looks like the cap will be in the way.. but considering buying that.

Two nights ago I threw a clean piece of cardboard under the car to try and pin point what leaks I had and from where. Had a few oil leaks that I'm not too worried about, and one coolant leak. Looks like the hard lines coming from my heater core are not happy. Bypassed it for now, see if it makes a difference.
That's the same radiator it looks like. I can measure mine and see if you want me too. I just cut the cap off and welded it shut. I'll try and find some pics for you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:21 am 

Quote:
Quote:

That's the same radiator it looks like. I can measure mine and see if you want me too. I just cut the cap off and welded it shut. I'll try and find some pics for you.
I found one that afco makes without a cap so I might just go that route. After taking some measurements last night it seems like I'd have to fully commit to modding my front end to make it happen. I have the radiator pretty close to the intercooler as is. Either that or crushing my pass side wg dump tube in a vice or something lol

More pics = more better! If you have any pics that would help for sure.

For the time being it's very driveable and feels faster than it's ever been. I'll be at the shootout for the car show for sure on Friday. Not sure about the rest of the weekend but I'll pop in here and there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:08 pm 

I still have to go through all the videos but the car made 475whp/355tq on a mustang dyno @ 30 lbs (spiking to 35 and settling down to 30)

I believe it would of cracked 5 bills if I had more wg spring in it to push it to 40-45lbs. But with my 2 stage boost controller trying to find a balance between pump gas/110 I believe this is the best I can do. Right now its around 20lbs on low and the aforementioned boost levels on high. I'll invest in a better boost controller over the winter or when the car starts to feel slow but right now it's faster than it's ever been and I'm loving it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:33 pm 
CSM Junkie

Wow man congrats. I've never been in a 450hp car let alone a colt. I bet it huals ass

Keane

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:51 am 
The Silent Administrator

Be gentle on those 3rd and 4th gear pulls on the street. Dan and his red colt from Cali, went through a number of gear sets and transmissions, and yeah ... Super cool to see numbers like that!

How does the car shift at higher RPMS?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:18 pm 

Quote:
Be gentle on those 3rd and 4th gear pulls on the street. Dan and his red colt from Cali, went through a number of gear sets and transmissions, and yeah ... Super cool to see numbers like that!

How does the car shift at higher RPMS?

The one time ive really tried to bang gears in it so far I broke a shift cable lmao :(

Havent gotten a chance to drive it much since I got the new ones in either. Last year it was a bit crunchy > 7500rpms

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next