4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 1012 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:08 pm 

It's still running like a champ. I actually left my buddy's body shop the other night after midnight and it was 31 degrees and raining. Guess I was pretty confident in the car since it only has 3-4 hundred miles since the rebuild :P . It's so fun to drive!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:36 pm 
2nd Banana

Videos! We want videos!

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:16 pm 

With maybe 5-600 miles on it since the build the car was slightly rear ended on Friday :x . Thankfully the lady in her Tahoe was barely moving. I was inching up at the stop sign to make sure nothing was coming and she thought I was going and tapped me. Her bumper took off some paint and buckled the driver's side of the bumper a little where it bolts up to the 1/4 panel. Very minor damage for sure. She has an insurance company that I've never heard of and the adjuster should be calling me back shortly to come out and look at the damage.

The lady tried her best to just swap info but I wasn't having it and called the cops. She was already saying there was no damage and acted like I was trying to get over on her when I pointed out the damage where the bumper was buckled. I mean I know it's an older car with hardly any value but it's mine and I'm proud of it. Hell, I could have jumped out and laid on the road screaming "my neck, my neck" lol like a lot of other people would have. All I want is my car repaired to the same condition it was before she hit it, you know?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:01 pm 

Don't let the insurance company screw you. If you know anybody at a good body shop, bring it there and have them see the car there. If you don't he will write the low and say you will have to get adjustments as you go. If he sees it at a good autobody shop he will write the estimate for what it really should be (kind of) and you get more upfront. This works better for me because most times I can get it fixed for less and make out. Last time my wife was hit (I think she is magnetic or something, she has been hit 6 times in her Sienna) the adjuster did a drive by visit at her place of work without telling us. The estimate was so bad I demanded a new estimate at the body shop. The estimate went from $1,425 up to $3,233. He wrote up used parts and nothing for suspension damage, new rim, tire and hubcap. I then pocketed the $$, fixed the suspension and told her to drive it till it dies, boy do I hate that car!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:37 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Found KBB value: (92 dodge colt 1.5l 5speed)
http://www.kbb.com/dodge/colt/1992-dodg ... =excellent

I also found some interesting stuff on diminished value which I didnt know about. I am alway one to stick it to the man to an extent.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/880666/?start=0

Guys, you seem to be missing the point about diminished value. State law usually deal with whether or not an INSURANCE COMPANY has to compensate a person for the diminished value of a vehicle that was involved in an accident with their insured. Some states do allow recovery from the INSURANCE COMPANY while others do not. If you are upset about the accident, you should have the option of pursuing a claim against the DRIVER PERSONALLY. Proving diminished value can be tough. The way to prove diminished value is to get the difference in what you would get for a trade for your vehicle if it hadn't been in an accident versus having been in an accident. For OLDER VEHICLES with higer mileage, you probably have to use one of the services mentioned in previous posts.For relatively NEW VEHICLES, take your car is to go to a dealer who sells your make and model and ask them what you vehicle is worth having been in an accident and what is would have been worth had it not been in the accident. Most newer cars that are traded to a dealer can be CERTIFIED. However, most new cars that have been in accidents with a significant amount of damage (think a couple thousand) cannot be certified. If your vehicle falls into this case, you can save the money you would spend going with one of those companies by simply going to the dealer and having him tell you the difference between a vehicle being traded in that can be certified and one that cannot be certified. Don't forget to get a name and business card so that the insurance company can follow up and verify with the dealer.

I have had some experiences with this stuff and I know it sucks, especially when its a car that means something to you. Any plans of putting 2 12s in the back so mofos can hear/see you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:29 pm 

That is a very good point about just having the adjuster come to the body shop. Thankfully I have a good friend that runs a shop at his place. He's already looked at it and estimated the damage somewhere around $3-400 bucks at least. He said the rear crash bar needs to be replaced and the bumper needs to be removed, damage repaired, painted and put back on.

I know the lady is going to have a fit because she already said it would be no more than $100 to fix at the scene. The cop looked at her and said I've seen repairs that were $500 and you couldn't even see the damage, this likely will be more than $100. I know she was probably thinking just touch it up with some touch up paint and deal with the buckle in the bumper since its an older car.

Mitch, I can't believe the value on this car is that high. I guess having around 50k miles on it helps but it was close to $1700 in fair condition. Even with two 12's thumping she still would have hit me. She simply wasn't paying attention.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:10 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
That is a very good point about just having the adjuster come to the body shop. Thankfully I have a good friend that runs a shop at his place. He's already looked at it and estimated the damage somewhere around $3-400 bucks at least. He said the rear crash bar needs to be replaced and the bumper needs to be removed, damage repaired, painted and put back on.

I know the lady is going to have a fit because she already said it would be no more than $100 to fix at the scene. The cop looked at her and said I've seen repairs that were $500 and you couldn't even see the damage, this likely will be more than $100. I know she was probably thinking just touch it up with some touch up paint and deal with the buckle in the bumper since its an older car.

Mitch, I can't believe the value on this car is that high. I guess having around 50k miles on it helps but it was close to $1700 in fair condition. Even with two 12's thumping she still would have hit me. She simply wasn't paying attention.
You don't have the greatest of luck with freshly done cars and people hitting them. :ANAL:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:22 pm 

Steve (slowdsm) brought that up on another forum :lol: . I will say I had owned the summit wagon a year or so before it was backed into. Even though I know how to do bodywork I never did look at that car the same after that so I just sold it. Thank God the Colt was just tapped so it'll be an easy fix. I do hope this isn't a pattern though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:47 am 

Small update. I contacted her insurance and filed a claim. The adjuster sent me an app on the phone to take pics of the damage and my first thoughts were that this wasn't going to go well. I mean she wasn't even planning to come and see the car in person. So I take the pics and then 3 hours later I get an email saying the estimate was $461. A few days later and I had a check in my hand so I didn't argue.

Of course I'll be doing the repairs myself. Plus there was a dent on the bottom of the door and two small ones on the 1/4 panel. My buddy that has a bodyshop at his house was caught up and in between jobs so I decided to go ahead and fix it. It's all done and ready to mask up this afternoon and I'll paint it tomorrow. We actually buffed part of the car and it looked so good I'm not going to bother repainting it. I just fixed the damage and we'll blend it.

This is where the previous owner decided it would be a good idea to mount a handle using screws :lol:

I'll post up more pics once its painted and buffed. I also prepped my GT sideskirts, lip and spoiler too. Can't wait to get those painted and mounted on the car.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:25 am 

It's all painted and cleared, will be putting it all back together tonight Lord willing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:13 pm 
Some call me a god

That is one good looking car!

84 GMC K3500
85 Dodge D50 Diesel Swap
90 Mighty Max V6
89 Mirage Turbo
94 Mighty Max
99 Montero

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:45 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I'm so jealous, I can't wait to get the body work on my car. Yours is turning out great

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:12 pm 
CSM Junkie

Your an inspiration to car guys everywhere for being so motivated and ambitious on your project

Keane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:39 am 

Thanks guys! I got tired of the puny stock steering wheel and never could find anything in the JY that I really liked so I ordered me a FOMO wheel (fake MOMO) :lol: . A few guys have them on the mirage forums and say the quality is very nice. I mainly like it because it doesn't scream out aftermarket steering wheel. It reminds me of the factory wheels on the early evo's. I will be sure to get some good pics and do a review once I get it. For $85 shipped I'm really not expecting a lot though. Here is a pic.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:51 pm 

All put back together and washed up. Now it just needs some tint and my GT body pieces painted and mounted.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 1012 Next