4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: New member and owner
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:56 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Hello members,

Today I became a member of the 4g61t community but more importantly, tonight I'll become an owner of an 89' Colt GT. It all started when I was only sixteen (circa 2000) when my father bought me an 89' colt 4g15 5 speed. Well my car enthusiast friend informed me of the 4g63 engine swap. From there I was amazed from reading about how ridiculous the power gains are. I just didn't have the money, tools nor the garage space at the time. Sadly I burnt out the clutch and gave it to good will. I know stupid mistake but I recently came across a Colt GT on craiglist for sale. Mostly all original and a rare find. Asking price 1500

Post subject: Re: New member and owner
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:07 pm 

Welcome! But please note, just because it's badged as a GT doesn't mean its one of the super rare turbo ones. Hope it is though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:44 am 
2nd Banana

Please put a location in your profile, and post up some pics of that car!

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:49 am 
Some call me a god

Welcome! And yes post some pics, I too am wondering if it is indeed an origional turbo car..

07 ZX6R

Post subject: Proud owner
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:06 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Well guys here she is...

She even came with the original manuals.

The seats are a little torn at the seams.

The dash has a few cracks in it and so does the windshield.

Her body is in good condition.

The engine is in fair conditions

I picked her up Saturday night and drove her home. She handled very well. I was amazed how this car gets up. I drove it the first night I got to see her but was able to really feel the power in her. When I pulled her in the garage i notice she has a slow oil leak. Haven't pin pointed where its coming from yet. As you can see the engine needs degreased and a tune up. The problems with the car are it doesn't have an ac compressor (but I do have it) The e-brake doesn't work (Would that fail a safety inspection?) The power mirrors do not work. Cracked dash and windshield. The seats are torn in the front. Other than that she rides well. I'm getting her registered this week to become my daily driver. Please guys let me know what you think and where should i begin as far as tuning her up. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but I don't know everything about this car so any help is appreciated. I plan on keeping it pretty much stock until I can afford to put money into parts. Thanks again, David

Last edited by dfranklin5891 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:44 am 
Some call me a god

Very nice, wish mine was white. I would start off with spark plugs, air filter, timing belt, oil change.

When mod funds come I would then do exhaust, intake, turbo upgrade (14bs can be had for cheap) dsm injectors maf and ecu. that should make for a fun reliable daily driver :D

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:10 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Well. I've got bad new. My windshield failed safety inspection as well as two tires. I need to get a cat and muffler installed. But all this will have to wait until funds are available. For now she will sit in the garage. Saturday night i plan to get a good look under the hood and try to clean things up a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:30 am 
Restricted Newbie

Current update: A few months after the purchase (circa fall 2012) I finally got the colt registered. Had a buddy that worked for a garage illegally pass it due to the exhaust being straight piped all the way through. He welded on a glass pack to quiet it down and passed the crack in the windshield. So shortly after that I had new tires put on just for basic daily driving use. I went with Kuhmo GT65a 185/65/14. I changed out the oil pressure sensor because that is where the leak was from. Upon removing the exhaust manifold heat shield I notice a crack in the exhaust manifold. Doesn't appear to be nothing major but I will be wanting to address it. Now I've noticed a humming (or how ever you want to describe it) while driving coming from the rear driver wheel. For the longest time I assumed it was a wheel bearing issue. I now believe it has something to do with the disk brake caliper. I took the wheel off and noticed slight pressure on the rotor from the pads. Also I should add that the e-brake doesnt engaged. Took the center console out and tried to engage the brake but the driver side cable is seized. The passenger has play but not the driver. I tried to spray PB on both ends but couldn't get it to adjust. The brake caliper mechanical parts also seem to be seized, sprayed it down and nothing. I'm planning on buying a new e-brake cables. As far as the brake calipers go I'm open to opinions. I do have a slow brake fluid leak coming from the front driver side that I haven't pin point yet. In the pass I had to add brake fluid. It does smoke but I only notice it from an Idle or stop to 1st gear. I think I have bad piston rings. It doesn't smoke all the time just from a stop to 1st leaving a small white cloud. The hatch glass has three bad heat strips. Is there any fixing to this problem. I don't know much about suspensions but it rides rough in extreme cold climate.

I am planning on going to some local junk yards (for the first time) this weekend with a buddy. I do understand that dsm parts from 90-94 will fit my generation csm. My near plans and what I'm leaning towards are
14b which a local craiglister has for sale in excellent condition for 150 http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/4331032284.html
FMIC or a side mount and piping
Injectors (450cc)?
4 lug to 5 lug conversion
exhaust system (the right way)
?MAF? massive air flow sensor

Eventually I will drop a 4g63t in but in the mean time I want to try and get this engine running healthy this spring. Even if I have to overhaul/rebuild it.

Also if you have any advice I should take with me when I do go to the yard, I would much appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:10 pm 

You're going to have a hard time finding a turbo DSM in the junkyard that hasn't been picked completely apart (unless you go to a secluded, lesser known yard). As far as manifold and turbo goes, I would look for a 2G DSM exhaust manifold and use that 14b and 450cc injectors with a 2G DSM 3" downpipe and go with a high flow cat and at least 2 1/2" cat back exhaust. Honestly, if it were up to me, I'd run a 2g DSM MAF, Apexi SAFC, 1G uncrushed recirc BOV and an aftermarket 2G recirc intake pipe and do yourself a favor and get a FMIC and intake piping for a DSM and adapt it to fit to your Colt. Those are pretty much the majority of your basic mods.
A different route would be to simply use a 2G exhaust manifold, a 14b, 450cc injectors, a 1g turbo manual DSM ecu, 2G 3" downpipe, and a SMIC (side mount intercooler), and piping. This'll make for a fun little car with quick spool up and a decent amount of power. Enough to put a smile on your face and should be good for 200 HP at the crank.

Caleb 3/17/12 8 lbs 15 ozs 20 inches

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:17 am 
The Silent Administrator

Avoid the SAFC's, as it taps into to the factory wiring. Eprom ECU (and a spare just because) socketed, will be the way to go. My preference is no piggybacking.

I bought an SAFCII, twice. I just didn't understand how easy it was to get another chip made for my expected airflow and installed modifications, including a dual runner Cyclone intake manifold.

If you go that route, we have a member here that can get you a chip setup, with lots of features, for a reasonable fee.

All those other parts will make the car quite fast.

I would suggest adding a transmission overhaul to the list of things to do, before tearing down the engine (if the timing belt is too old, worn or you have super excessive oil leakage).
Reason being, you are going to move the power band higher in the rev range, and where the motor is going to want to stay when you get on it.
This is where the older/worn out fibrous syncros in the early 89 Colt/Mirage Turbo and 90 DSM rear their ugly heads. They had a better shift feel when new (better grab with less shifter arm pressure) but wore out quicker when shifted in the high RPM ranges, for extended periods. Be careful to only use GL-4 trans fluids in this transmission also, GL-5 is too slick and will erode the non-ferrous metal in the syncro units. If you want to keep the dog teeth on the gears, intact, then this is where new syncro's comes into play. Food for thought. I'm rebuilding a trans just for this reason. I have never experienced anything but worn out, or close to worn out syncro's in two KM210 transmissions now. I am going FWD DSM now, to see what happens and to get away from the fibrous syncros.
Slightly stronger transmission, will drop right in after changing the shifter arms, and if the year is 91-92.5, it should have a 25 spline center diff to accept the turbo axle and halft/axle setup, or even an LSD with 25 splines.

Please consider adding your VIN to the VIN Registry.
General discussion, top of the page.
8)

These cars keep popping up on radar, so it's uber important to get them catalogued while they are still active here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:23 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Man good score on that White GT Colt, you got a pretty good deal IMO, keep posting updates!