4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Got a full house, huh?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:16 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Figured I'd post anyway.

Ok well, first things first. I live in a little hick town in IL; hopefully I'll be moving to Texas soon though. I got bit by the Mitsubishi bug a while ago. After a semi totalled my first car (97 Galant ES, just a high school commuter) and I ended up getting almost twice what I paid for the car since the wreck was the semi driver's fault, I set off to North Carolina one weekend to get my Galant VR4. Fell in love at first sight, bought it, and drove it back to IL with no problems. It has a hell of a story though... and that is why it's currently sitting until who knows when. Which is where the Colt comes in. I daily'd the vr4 for a year but I knew I'd need another dd if I wanted to get anything done with the vr4. My stepdad was looking at some men's garage sale page on facebook and said something about a Colt and if I'd be interested, and after a few days of trying to get ahold of and meet with the seller, we finally managed to go look at it and drive it. A grand later, it was mine. I've already done some overdue stuff, v/c gasket was puking all over, the timing belt was cracked to shit, the plugs and wires were pretty ratty, and some other little things. Still needs some tlc, but the last owner was pretty strict about the oil changes so it doesn't look too bad in there. My next things to fix are the driver side auto belt and a nasty exhaust leak. By the time those are fixed I'm sure I'll find more. :P

Picture time!

sorry in advance for the crappy pic quality, and if they're too big... I couldn't find a limit, if there is one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:00 pm 

Welcome! Both cars look great and props for dealing with the maintenance first before bolting on a huge turbo 8) .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:18 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Thanks! The little 4G15 will be in the Colt for a while, so I need it to be reliable. It's only got 131k on it so should have plenty of life left.

My vr4 wasn't so fortunate with the previous owners... long story short, I got sold a bs story of how the last turbo blew and some "mechanic" said it'd be easier to convert it to n/a than just throw another turbo on it. With as half assed as it already was, I was really hoping they didn't swap the engine. The water pipe was non turbo, the y pipe off the exhaust manifold was just shoved into the cat, and air intake was off a 2g dsm, the fmic was still in place just not hooked up obviously... but the vin on the block said otherwise. I was stubborn and it's had a 14b on it since last August but hasn't seen much for boost. Needless to say, the engine is getting torn out and rebuilt... really the entire car needs an overhaul and second chance. I think I'm going to keep the block since the only difference is the oil squirters, and obviously I plan to upgrade the pistons. I'm still not really sure what my goal is number wise. I know I don't want crazy power, and I'd like to do autocross, and I've also contemplated rallycross. I am thinking I want an E3 16G right now. My bf's vr4 has the 68hta and right now he's at about half of what that turbo is capable of, and traction is just about to become an issue on Goodyear Eagle GT's.

I'm on gvr4.org too, and I don't know if you saw but I managed to make myself look like an ass on there, so bear with me if I say anything stupid here, haha. I'm still learning like you guys; I'm just a little behind. I haven't been in the game that long yet (going to be 21 in Oct. and only had my vr4 a little over a year, though I've been around dsm'ers for a few years before that... they just weren't the smartest ones and I can easily see how dsms get the unreliable rep) but I know there is always more to learn. I'd like to learn all that I can and do all that I can myself. I don't want to be the typical girl that says she's into cars but has guys do all the work and couldn't tell you the first thing about the car she drives. Or the ones that expect you to think their stanced car with an exhaust and stickers everywhere is the shit just because the driver has a whoo-ha. :finga: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:26 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I'm almost positive I was looking to buy the Colt you now own before I ended buying my 4g61t. It was on a crappy used car lot in Madison, Il. Very clean car on the outside and under the hood but the hydraulic clutch had a leak and it had a broken wheel stud on one of the front wheels among other minor issues. Couldn't talk the used car lot salesman down from their asking price.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:23 am 

Wow, had no idea you were a female :lol: . As you could imagine we don't have many interested in these little cars. I think its cool that you want to take the time to learn about them and do your own work. My wife actually enjoys wrenching with me and trips to the junkyard, it's awesome!

I remember that GVR4 being on Carolina DSM a while back in NA mode. Thought about going to look at it myself but it was on the other side of the state and I honestly didn't need another project at that time.

Word of advice on the colt, pop the ecu out and look over the board really well. 99% sure its over due for a caps replacement. Once they start leaking the car will do weird things and eventually not run at all.

We actually saw a 3g csm on the road yesterday on the way home from the beach. I was stoked because its the first one I had seen in quite a while.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:03 am 
Some call me a god

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the FB request :wink:

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:53 am 
Restricted Newbie

Cuda-68: Looks the same but I don't think so. When did you look at it? The guy I bought mine off of said he had it for years and loved the gas mileage, but he was done with school and said it really just sat anymore so he figured it was time to sell it. I ran outside and checked my studs; they're all there. Also, I bought the car missing the driver side rear mudflap, and I see that one has it. Mine looks a little ragged on the outside...

This one really shows the roof and hood clear coat issues. The other side's stripes on the bottom are pretty flaky too. This is definitely her better side, haha.

89Mirageman: You're one of the lucky ones, haha. Appreciate her! I know way too many guys that have girls get jealous of the whole car obsession, and I've even had girls get bitchy with me simply because I'm there hanging out with the guys. I think they feel threatened because I understand the obsession, and it starts a bunch of bs drama so I tend to stay away. Though it probably doesn't help that I don't like most females anyway, haha.
I plan on checking both cars' ecus... gvr4.org has hammered checking the caps and ecu into my head. :P
There's another Colt that runs around my town, light blue and it's got some rust. I saw it today actually. I think an older guy drives it. I haven't spotted any others, but then again mostly everything around here is trucks, muscle and classics, more trucks, and what everyone else drives. Only a handful of imports.

xxNocturnalxx: Thanks. =]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:09 am 
The happy administrator

Welcome to the club! With all these WI/IL owners popping up, we'll be as big as the cleveland crew soon enough. :lol:

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd