4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject: Re: new colt owner in GA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:46 pm 

Just noticed fp's sale on the mani. Time to sell the old 4g15 parts to fund the manifold.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:49 pm 

Today was very productive. I felt like I modified almost every part. The engine is in, the intercooler piping, and tuning are the biggest parts left of this swap. I am trying to have the car running by he end of the week, since it is my daily. Anyways, here are the pics.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:15 pm 

Not a ton of progress today, but a bit. I installed the wiring harness with most of the engine sensors. Installed a civic radiator with the oem colt fan. The intercooler pipes will be easier than I thought since I have an old Evo hks upper cold pipe that fits with little modifications. I finished my speed density intake. I think it looks cool, in a goofy sorta way. So only the one pic today.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:53 am 
CSM Junkie

Awesome work. Looks like it's coming along nicely.

I gotta say though, if you plan on driving the car more than just to the drag strip and back, you might want to think about a bigger radiator. When I used a Civic radiator on my car, it wasn't capable of keeping the temps under control. Especially on the highway (even in 30F weather, I'd have to run the heater to keep the car from overheating).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:54 pm 

Quote:
Awesome work. Looks like it's coming along nicely.

I gotta say though, if you plan on driving the car more than just to the drag strip and back, you might want to think about a bigger radiator. When I used a Civic radiator on my car, it wasn't capable of keeping the temps under control. Especially on the highway (even in 30F weather, I'd have to run the heater to keep the car from overheating).
The car is my daily, so overheating can not happen. I have installed civic radiators in a few evo's with great success. One of witch made 4 digets at the wheels. None of them have overheating issues, so I figured it would be ok in the colt. I do think the oem fan will not be able to keep it cool.

Today was not very productive, but was able to do a few things. I had to re-boot 1 of the turbo axles I got. After that I swapped my cut springs onto my new shocks. The shocks are oem bilstein off an evo8 mr. The car sits a little higher in the front now, but I am planning on getting coilover sleeves for the car.

Stock 3G vs stock evo8 mr

Evo shock, cut colt spring, colt top hat and strut mount

And an underside pic of the car. Very clean (for now)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:01 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Great to see EVO8 parts installed and functioning properly!

Any need for spacers between the plates on the struts and where they sandwich the knuckle? Same fit as GR2's?

I have been wanting some better suspension, and a set of those may fit the bill, but I would still wonder about fitment of something valve similarly in the rear.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:44 pm 

Quote:
Great to see EVO8 parts installed and functioning properly!

Any need for spacers between the plates on the struts and where they sandwich the knuckle? Same fit as GR2's?

I have been wanting some better suspension, and a set of those may fit the bill, but I would still wonder about fitment of something valve similarly in the rear.
I had to slot them like I slotted the stock ones since I do not have the yoshifab camber plates. The camber bolt rests were ground flat. No spacers or anything odd had to be done to make them work. I will tackle the rear after I get the car running, I have the matching bilsteins that I plan on making work.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:04 am 

Car started today!!! It was down for 9 days. There is still a good bit of work left, but I have a way to get to work again. No dyno numbers yet, I am having connection issues with ecu flash, and ran out of time tonight. The neighborhood behind the shop likes to call the cops if we run the dyno too late. I still drove it on the dyno to see how far off the tune is. It runs alright until the turbo starts to spool, then it goes super rich. Anyways, here are some pics. The maf is only in place until I can go sd with the ceedy mods. I still have to tidy up a few things in the engine bay, so this is not the final look.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:13 pm 

nice build! very similar to my 92 colt. i like the color!

93 Talon TSI AWD (son's car)
04 Liberty DD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:24 pm 

Thank you guys for the kind words. I love the color too. Since I finished the swap, I have already gone 300 miles. There is a fuel pump/fpr issue that I have to sort out before any numbers can get posted. I love how the car handles now. It is almost an inch higher than before, so I think I will do coilover sleeves later. But now I will gladly give up looks for handling. The car was more bouncy on the oem/blown shocks than it is now. I highly recommend the Evo bilstien shock upgrade. Hopefully I will have a dyno chart and video soon.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:50 am 

So I fixed my issues. There was no fuel issue, the car would go lean under boost. The cause was a bad/ old cam sensor. I swapped to a 93/94 that I am borrowing from a friend and the car runs great. So I trimmed the fuel while on the dyno. 261whp, and 207 wtq, at 22psi. Tuning is not done I still have to tune timing, fine tune the 2nd runners for spool, and set up the speed density. On to the pics.

And I added a new sticker. Those add powa, right?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:13 pm 

Here is a little update. Half of it is cosmetic, half is functional. Onto the pics.

Evo8 mr factory gauges. Fully functional.

Hks ssqv bov, and blitz radiator cap.

Tomei oil cap. Makes me want to change the valve cover to something not polished.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:24 pm 

Today I installed the wrx bumper. I love how it looks. It makes the intercooler look small. Gotta wire up the fog lights still. But here are the pics.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:46 am 
Restricted Newbie

love this build!

witch brakeline's did you used for the brake swap? 1g eclipse?
nice project, like the front bumper! looks beter than stock.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:42 am 

Thank you for the kind words. I actually just measured the oem brake line, an ordered earls 3an brake lines that length, I think it was 12" or 16"with 1x 90, and 1x straight. Then an m10 to 3an adapter for the chassis side, and a 1/8npt to 3an adapter for the brake side. And I like the bumper more each day, it looks better in person.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next