4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous 119 20 21 22 23 Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:32 pm 

^ Sadly they are still in the shed unmounted. Haven't even polished the lips on the other 3 wheels yet. I've been a big slacker for sure :P . On the plus side the weather is perfect now, been in the mid 70's all week so I need to get out there.

I've been trying an elimination diet lately, still trying to cure the gut issues. Pretty much eating like a bird and feeling like crap. Better days are ahead though. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:54 am 

With all this beautiful weather that we've been having lately I finally got out there and messed with the colt a little. I got some measurements from Dan a while back from the M&S colt and wanted to do something slightly different when I mounted my rear subframe. Instead of using the stock mount that bolts to the back of the diff and bolt it to square tubing I wanted to make a custom one from scratch. I decided to make some templates of the frame rail and reinforce them with some 3/16" plate. While I was at it I drilled some mounting holes, welded some nuts on the backside and drilled the frame rail so that it would sit flush. This not only made it stronger but it now gives me 4 threaded bolt holes to bolt custom mounts to. The bolts are 1/2-13 grade 8 bolts, 4 on each side will be overkill for a puny mount but I want it to hold up.

bare frame rail

paper template

3/16" plate

clamped to the frame to check for fitment

realized the rails bend in slightly so I cut a relief in the back, put it in the vice and whacked it a few times with a hammer

drilled my 4 holes, grounds the nuts for welding

a little high temp anti-seize on the bolts before welding the nuts on

all welded up

view of threaded holes from the front

notched the rail with a step bit and my dremel tool to allow clearance for the nuts, there was a brace on the left side that I had to work around so I tapped it back slightly with a chisel

all welded in and shot with primer

made a matching rectangle plate out of 1/4" steel to bolt on

This will give me a strong, flat base to weld to. I'm thinking of using round tubing to run from here to the back of the diff. I will also incorporate some sort of bushing to allow for some flex. Yes I know just welding in the box steel would have served the same purpose and I could have the entire rear mounted in the same amout of time that it took me to fab this stuff up but I'm in no hurry and like to do things slighly different when possible. Once I get the rear mounted I will focus on something for the front of the subframe.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:48 pm 
Because Race Car

Fantastic Chris! Glad to see you are taking advantage of the nice weather to make some progress. Can't wait to see how this comes out :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:24 pm 

Another small update. I finished sanding and polishing the lip on the other wheel and got two of them mounted and balanced. Just need to run by Napa and get a pint of white paint to match the factory color, I already have a quart of clear left over from another job I did a while back. Now I can install the wheels and get the rear subframe all squared up and finish the mounts. I think they will look nice on there once they're done.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:35 pm 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

Quote:
Just need to run by Napa and get a pint of white paint to match the factory color, I already have a quart of clear left over from another job I did a while back.
Or just go the brushed alum. look! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:08 pm 
Because Race Car

I think the white will look more period correct. Nothing says "late 80's/early 90's" like a color matched "Premium" wheel option. Either way, if Chris is doing it then it will be done right and turn out fantastic.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:43 am 

Haha, thanks Anson. I love the look of the GVR4's and the talons with the matching wheels and figured it would look good on the colt too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:30 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Nice work Chris like always. I have looked at a bunch of the AWD builds on here and the one part I haven't seen any good pictures of is how everyone has mounted the front of the rear sub-frame. With me doing the AWD build myself soon I have been looking at seeing what can be done. When do you plan on getting to that part of the build?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:20 am 

Thanks Harvey, once I get something fabbed up to hold the rear diff in place and get it all squared up I will start looking into options for the front. Right now in my head I'm thinking about making cardboard templates to box it in on each side. Transfer those over to steel and weld a nut on the inside for a bolt to thread into. I have also thought about cutting the stock mounts off the front and extending it to mount up somehow to the bottom of the colt like it sits. Maybe using round tubing or something. This route would probably be easier.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:26 am 

My intentions were to start on the other frame rail this weekend but I keep looking at that rust forming under the braces and couldn't take it anymore. I decided to do something about that instead. I started by cutting the brace with my dremel and a cutoff wheel being careful not to cut into the roof skin.

After they were cut out I was left with the old adhesive

I got rid of it using my angle grinder and an old worn flap disc and then I painted on some rust converter.

and here is Rosie, she lets me know when something is on fire. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:34 am 
CSM Junkie

are u going to weld in those supports again?

-1992 Eagle Summit AWD 4g63t swap (SOLD)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:42 am 

Not the original ones. I will fab something up but I'm not sure what that will be just yet. I was mainly concerned with stopping the rust for now. Believe it or not the roof is quite strong without them but I will put something back in their place for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:57 am 

Awesome job Chris!!! I really admire the time and patience you put into your cars and projects, this one will definetly be a site to see when it is complete.

1989 Dodge Colt GT

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:25 am 
Some call me a god

A CSM guru and a weird cat person? No way....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:56 am 

Quote:
A CSM guru and a weird cat person? No way....

Haha, actually the cat belongs to my 13 y/o daughter Amber. But for some reason she likes to hang out with me when I work on the car. She really is a sweet cat but does get in the way I will admit.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous 119 20 21 22 23 Next