4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:27 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

why the hell would this minivan be in a build section? well, my brother picked this jewel up for a song a while ago, but the 3 speed auto tranny was just terrible for anything other that burning excess gas.

this car came equipped with an 8valve sohc 4g63, so the next question was: could we swap a turbo 63t in it?
PROBABLY!

Instead we decided to transplant a quality F5M33 from a 90 talon donor car.

now this auto to 5 speed conversion is not for the faint of heart, as the stock 5 speed versions of these only came in AWD format. The relative rarity of these "spacewagons" makes sourcing clutch pedal parts difficult, if not near improssibuh! BE PREPARED TO FABRICATE!

So on with it then!

parts used:
F5M33, early models with large splined diff.
stock vista wagon axles! <---was a big worry, but the diff offset and depth were spot on between the new and old tranny
slave cylinder and all hydraulic lines from above tranny
clutch and flywheel from above tranny
FWD starter alignment plate (auto/awd ones have wrong starter hole position)
shifter box/cable from above trans
vista wagon clutch master cylinder
talon clutch master cylinder reservoir (vista reservoir is a separate unit with a hose)
talon water pipe
DC integra clutch pedal with bracketry (<---is that even a word?)
shifter extenstion of some sort

well here it is!
take out the old tranny, it's pretty straightforward

my brother, into the wine before we even start...

license plate VS prybar + sledgehammer.... hmmm

remove the starter plate and install the 5 speed version
remove the torque converter pilot bushing, it's pressed onto the cranshaft, and you'll have to do the punch/grease trick to hydraulically remove it

put in new tranny, it's not at all straightforward, you'll have to drain the coolant and remove the lower rad hose, and unbolt the front crossmember as it is very cramped in the engine bay once the talon clutch ass'y is installed.

clearance? yup, one pinky finger worth

you'll have to modify the stock tranny mount to work with the new tranny. just a simple ovaling the bolt holes, and adding new steel to the upper portion and drilling a hole does the trick.

another issue is the tranny end case clearance to the frame rail. The talon tranny is longer than colt turbo/hyundai sonata unit as they have a reverse syncro instead of a simple block off plate. You'll have to cut it out and tack weld the 3 layers of sheet metal together once you have clearance. I used an airsaw for the main cuts, and a die grinder with a lolipop cutter for fine cuts.

you'll have to mod the lower rad hose to clear the shift mechanism. i cut up a spare talon steel water tube and used the bend to clear the shifter.

the shifter cables are straightforward, just remove the stock gear selector from the car and pull the auto cable through the hole. feed in the 5 speed cable from the engine bay to the cabin as the hole is too small to fit the tranny end through. The cables will be long and the shifter box will want to sit almost behind you but you can make em work in the stock location. The holes won't line up, but a drillbit helps. bolt her down and extend the shifter to reach. I used a honda shifter, cut it and slid it over the stock shifter, and welded it up
unmodded shifter, before i added height

OK here's the shitty part:

Clutch pedal
this took me 6 hours of pissing around to make work. I took an integra pedal, cut it up to fit around a factory wiring harness, cut up the underdash support ass'y, and made the damned thing work. ugh, just writing about it makes me angry! hahahaha! you'll need to die grind the clutch master cylinder hole and upper bolt hole in the firewall.

talon MC i had, used for the reservoir:

integra pedal pivot box:

uncut stock bracing

finished

The clutch line was just a stock FWD talon line, that i bent the master cylinder end 180* to match up to the vista master.

installed, with the engine having a slight gangsta lean a la VW style. boooo!

bleed the clutch, adjust the clutch travel making sure not to bottom out the master cylinder. Using the floorboard as a clutch stop worked well. add coolant, trans oil, and GO!

recommendations for those wanting to do this:
1- DON'T DO IT!
2- maybe use a sonata transmission for less framerail cutting
3- DON'T DO IT!
4- find a wrecked vista wagon (canada only) with a 5 speed and get the brake/clutch pedal assembly from it
5- DON'T DO IT!

hoped you enjoyed it, I didn't! hahahaha!

phil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:56 pm 

so glad someone finally decided to actually modify one of these.

my ex owns one of these, and was all ambitious about swapping transmissions and engines and yadda yadda yadda, but found an Expo for cheap and has since abandoned all her plans for her wagon. there's another one rolling around town for sale, i'm tempted to grab it just so i can actually do all the shit to it that i helped her plan.
Quote:
-the stock 5 speed versions of these only came in AWD format

-vista wagon (canada only) with a 5 speed
they actually came FWD 5-speed(F5M22) all across north america, they're just incredibly hard to find, even harder than the AWD cars. i was actually looking at a 5-speed vista in Illinois last summer for 500$, just never went to get it :(

anyway, keep up the good work :D even if you didn't enjoy the process, at least it's stick now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:11 am 

So how does she move? This thing rocks!

88 Cummins Suburban
69 Cutlass convertible
78 Arrow G54B Swap, Celeste makeover. (MOD 2016 Veteran)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:54 pm 
CSM Junkie

thats pretty cool. i went to the junk yard up here today. and there where 5 colt vista awds than they were all manual.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:02 pm 

Thanks for the new info Devolution. The swap wasn't all that difficult, but working on a car after working all day on cars becomes tedious.

The engine itself is rebuilt, but has major leakdown issues on #4 cylinder, on the order of 90% through the exhaust valve. That'll be the next piece to fix up.

ps: it's slow as balls! hahaha