4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: 1972 Datsun 510
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:34 pm 
CSM Junkie

I've posted this build in parts on various sites due to it's cross platform nature. Here's some pics for now.

When I first picked it up in December of 2005

What it came with.

What it's got in there now!

I've also done a 5 lug swap from a Z31 300ZX (but I need all the calipers now :( )

I've never had this car running and has been a very slow journey with the lack of available information on swap parts for anything I've done. The transmission is an R154 from a MK3 Supra Turbo with a cast bellhousing for the RWD 4G63 swap. The motor is just a stock 95 block and 1G head. Intake manifold is a stock 1G unit that has been cut at the flange and flipped upside down. 2G exhaust manifold with a SBR GT11 ball-bearing turbo.

I have a stack of parts and I just ordered another $500 in parts in the past few weeks. Now I just need some garage space at Trevtec to get a few things done and get closer to driving this thing. I need to snap a few more pics of its current state and progress. But here's a link to my Photobucket progress:

http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u71/ ... 20Rebuild/

Post subject: Re: 1972 Datsun 510
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:03 pm 
2nd Banana

I love this project. If you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for the car itself?

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:48 pm 
Some call me a god

Lovin it! 510's are sick and of course I love 4g's. Nice progress, keep us updated for sure!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:19 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
I love this project. If you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for the car itself?
I spent $800 on the shell. It's pretty solid other than typical quarter fender rot and rot on the bottom of the front fenders. Most of the project has been done with used and salvaged parts. My total budget is $10k. I'm nowhere near that number now. I've actually lost track of how much I have into it, but I doubt I have more than $3,500.

Current project plans are to:
get my flywheel machined to accept the R154 setup
seat rails mounted up
cooling plumbing mocked or completed
intake/intercooler plumbing mocked up
install rear wheel bearings
balance shaft eliminator kit install w/ new timing set
and hopefully get started on making the new brake and hard fuel lines

I need to take more pics of the project. It has been slow going due to funds and lack of info. I currently have to go and get new brake calipers due to mismatch issues. Turns out turbo Z31 rear rotors need turbo calipers. They look the same, they just mount slightly differently. Also, the front SS brake lines I have only mount to turbo 2 piston calipers. I also have to get an adaptor made to fit the S12 front struts to the stock 510 lower control arms. The centering ring is slightly larger on the S12 units, but I went this route for 5 lug swap and bigger brake options. I can mount Z32/ R32 4 piston calipers without modification or customization on these struts.

I'll update more when I make some progress. Now I have to go back to teaching kids at high school.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:22 pm 
2nd Banana

Wow, that's super cheap for a 510 shell! I'm jealous.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:31 pm 
CSM Junkie

One step backward, two steps forward. I think that's how it goes.

Well, the S12 front brakes that I have won't work with the Z31 SS brake lines that I ordered. I could modify them to work, but that would just be putting off the inevitable. So I went out in search of some Z31 Turbo front calipers. Of course, there are none to be found. However, the front brakes on the Q45 and J30 (I think) seem to be close enough.

So I picked up a set from a 91 Q45. These are 2 piston units, and according to 240SX guys, they offer 25% more braking force and 40% more pad area. I don't really care, as the single piston units would likely stop a 510 without issue. There was a non turbo Z31 in the yard that I used for mock up. They seemed to fit well enough to spend the cash on this "upgrade". I have already purchased pads and a new seal kit and I will be sand blasting them tomorrow along with adding a high temp paint just for good measure. I'll take some pics when I mount them tomorrow night.

I still need to modify the Z31 brake lines to fit these as well, but it's a minor issue and they should fit just fine. I'll also have to post a "For Sale" thread on these S12 units. They're fully rebuilt and mount the same as 280ZX stuff with a slightly different brake line setup. At least I'm moving forward.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:46 pm 
CSM Junkie

I got the brakes mounted up the other night. Unfortunately they are silver. It was the only hight temp paint I had at the time. Thought I still had some iron color left. Oh well. You can see the difference in pad size and caliper size. They just fit under my 15" wheels on the car. There's no way these would fit with 14" wheels. Anyway, here's some pics:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:12 am 
CSM Junkie

I've got the intercooler and radiator 90% mounted. I just need to drill some holes in the upper core support to attach the upper brackets to hold the radiator in. I'll take pics tomorrow.

Now that I have that done, I can route my headlight wires under the intercooler and mock up the intercooler pipes and coolant hoses. Can I mount the relays for the "upgraded" headlight wiring in the fuse panel? I have two spaces I can mount relays in my fuse panel and I know I want to add relays as suggested by DQ. Is mounting the relays that far from the headlights counterproductive?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:48 pm 
CSM Junkie

These are the pics I promised from my radiator and intercooler mount. As you can see, all I did is weld 2 nuts to the lower core support and mount the brackets to that. Trimming of the front of the car is limited to the area behind the grill. I may need to do some minor trimming to the backside of the lower valance, but it is so minor that even a trained eye probably won't notice. I have since painted the intercooler black. I'm not into showing off my intercooler for all to see, but left it this way for the pics so you could see it better.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:37 am 
CSM Junkie

I'm starting to run into issues. Small issues being that I need to figure out what to do with things like the clutch slave cylinder. Right where the hydro line goes int, it nearly touches my steering cross link.

I also feel that the oil pan sits way too low. It is close to the front crossmember, but plenty of room for vibration etc. Most of this can be solved by using custom mounts instead of the stock MM mounts. I think I will choose to raise the motor up so I won't have to modify the oil pan. I have plenty of room to move up. The only sheet metal I will need to cut is for the top of the transmission. Right where the R154 shifter is at, the transmission touches the tunnel. Other than that, I have plenty of room all around. This will also give me more room to run the exhaust under the driveshaft for ground clearance.

My biggest issue, however, is the motor itself. I bought this motor about 4 years ago for $150 from a trusted member in Colorado. He told me the motor was being scrapped due to a broken timing belt. The pistons didn't look bad, so I took it. This weekend I pulled the oil pan and front case to do a balance shaft eliminator and noticed some gray material on the pickup screen. There was some in the pan, but mostly just a little coolant that likely seeped in when pulling the head.

I was pulling off the balance shafts, and it looks like the bearing surface is F*CKED! I'll need to dig in a little more and see what's up, but I may need to scrap the motor if the bearings are bad, or if the crank looks like the balance shafts. I know I can find another motor, but why do things like this happen? Things were going so well. :cry:

I'll take some pics for everyone to enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:29 pm 
CSM Junkie

I stripped the block last night to find out what the damage is. Here you go:

#2 Rod Bearing
#2 Rod Bearing Cap
#2 Crank

This one seemed the worst of all of them. I don't have enough experience to tell if the crank or rods are reusable. I'll get an opinion from Trevtec and see what he says. I will likely have to source another motor. Best case scenario is new bearings, rings and a cylinder hone. I doubt I'm that lucky.

More Pics here:
http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u71/ ... G%20block/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:20 pm 
CSM Junkie

Things are starting to come together. I just got some more parts ordered including a crank, so now I can assemble the motor. But most importantly (for now) I got me some tires! Finally got to mount the TSW Kyalami wheels that I've been lusting over since before I even had this car. I found a set about 8 months ago and now I have tires. These are 16x7 +38 (I think) wheels with 205/50/16 tires. I also have 10mm spacers on all four corners right now. The rear spacers are actually behind the rotors to space the rotor out for the calipers. I think I need the proper turbo calipers on the rear. But as it is, I think there is going to be room for some 225 width tires in the future. I'll need to do some more work on the front before I can decide if there is room for more tire. Enough talk. Here's some pics:

You can see the positive camber here from the S12 V6 struts.
Front is way too high, but I will wait until I get my camber plates to make adjustments to the spring perch. I have a set of springs from Specialty Engineering mounted on 510 perches to the stock location on the S12 V6 struts. They're just tack welded for now.
The rear looks much better.
I cut just a little out of the lip and folded it in. I will make it look much neater when things get closer to the body work stage. And fix that spot full of bondo that cracked For now, they are clear of the tires.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:49 am 

Pictures have the excitement building. Can't wait to see the final outcome to this machine!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:22 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Pictures have the excitement building. Can't wait to see the final outcome to this machine!
Me neither. I've owned this chassis for about 5 years and it's never been moved under its own power. I think if things come together without slip ups, it should be on the road this summer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:07 pm 

I think that an older set of datsun wheels, After that machine is running, try and give it a little old school looking stance.