4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:49 am 
CSM Junkie

those N/A 99-01 cobras are hit and miss. two of my buddies owned 99s one outran corvettes the other couldnt beat my probe gt turbo on 12psi haha. in any case thats a nice driveway of cars!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:57 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
those N/A 99-01 cobras are hit and miss. two of my buddies owned 99s one outran corvettes the other couldnt beat my probe gt turbo on 12psi haha. in any case thats a nice driveway of cars!
The 99's had a massive recall because they were way underpowered--something about the intake manifold not being properly designed. I think they were making like 240hp when they were supposed to be up over 300. So awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:39 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Quote:
The 99's had a massive recall because they were way underpowered--something about the intake manifold not being properly designed. I think they were making like 240hp when they were supposed to be up over 300. So awesome.
Haha yes my buddies know all about that. They had to acid hone the intake manifold in other words port the shit out of it and did something with the mufflers and ecu. Stock crank hp was supposed to be rated at 320. Usually the basic intake, exhaust mods made 295-305 wheel hp for those years.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:49 pm 
Digital Baby Troll

The 99's were rated at 320hp crank but usually could only put out around 240-250hp in private testing. Lil is an 01 which I believe were rated at 350hp crank and tests brought back 370 private. I'm guessing when I first got the car it was around 250-260 wheel which isn't super bad at altitude. I put a lower set of gears in it, new mufflers, and removed the rev limiter and had the speedo reset for the new gear ratios. Now I feel I'm around 300-310whp, but one things for sure pulling 60-85mph in 2nd gear at 8,000 rpm with a V8 is a thrill and scares the shit out of most anyone. I need a full exhaust system and intake for her though, but first I'm gunna get the shitbox be out run her. Though the Mirage will never out handle the Cobra, that thing rides on rails.

-John

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:47 pm 
CSM Junkie

99-01 cobras had the same driveline and were both rated at the 320 crank hp. it wasnt until 03-04 when they came supercharged that they bumped hp up to 390.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:19 am 
Digital Baby Troll

Called out on my own car, never really took much interest in this one so I never really took the time to check the specs and all. I just knew it was pretty quick, comfortable to drive, handles like a go cart, and would be a total chick magnet. Girls aren't really attracted to the shitbox. I could have sworn they changed something between the 99 and 01's but I guess not. Thinking I may rebuild its motor at some point and try putting twin turbo's on it, but I would probably get into trouble way to fast, I do dumb things with rwd vehicles.

-John

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:53 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Called out on my own car, never really took much interest in this one so I never really took the time to check the specs and all. I just knew it was pretty quick, comfortable to drive, handles like a go cart, and would be a total chick magnet. Girls aren't really attracted to the shitbox. I could have sworn they changed something between the 99 and 01's but I guess not. Thinking I may rebuild its motor at some point and try putting twin turbo's on it, but I would probably get into trouble way to fast, I do dumb things with rwd vehicles.

-John

Yeah the N/A 32 valves have gone super fast with just simple bolts on and spray. Only thing that sucks is the factory pistons are hyperpetrunic I think its called and are weak so they don't like boost on stock motors. If you get that thing built with a big single turbo setup and supporting mods it will be the lasts sports car you'll want to buy haha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:04 am 

Hey John that turbo is not a 11b, it's a 13g. The engine you bought is from an automatic car. It's got 390cc injectors and a 13g turbo. They still say TD04 on them and they look similar to the 11b but they are slightly larger.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:35 pm 
Digital Baby Troll

Quote:
Hey John that turbo is not a 11b, it's a 13g. The engine you bought is from an automatic car. It's got 390cc injectors and a 13g turbo. They still say TD04 on them and they look similar to the 11b but they are slightly larger.
Yeah I noticed that the compressor wheel was different than my 11b but it still came with the 450cc blue top injectors. Maybe after market, I've found a few weird little tweaks done to the motor.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:39 pm 
Digital Baby Troll

Quote:
Quote:

-John

Yeah the N/A 32 valves have gone super fast with just simple bolts on and spray. Only thing that sucks is the factory pistons are hyperpetrunic I think its called and are weak so they don't like boost on stock motors. If you get that thing built with a big single turbo setup and supporting mods it will be the lasts sports car you'll want to buy haha
Yeah they designed the pistons to be super light so the car would build rpm's faster but they'll melt down real quick if you put a forced induction system on it. The thing already scares me sometimes so a turbo set-up would be fun if I decide to re-build it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:13 am 
Digital Baby Troll

Back in the game. I finally got off my mourning ass today and got some work done on the shitbox. I dropped the transmission a week ago and finally got the axles back today from getting them re-built. The guy did an awesome job and actually used to race a turbo mirage, so he knew what he was dealing with. Today I was able to pull all the wiring off the motor, got everything marked and labeled so I don't confuse myself when the new motor goes in. I also did the whole EGR/vacuum delete deal, this way I don't have to worry about the Cyclone intake giving my a hard time. Finally I was able to install the manual seat belts, all the mounts were there besides the lower ones which I just welded up a cheesy little mount for. I'm hoping to get the old motor out tomorrow then start finishing the prep work on the new one. If all goes well she should be fired up in a week or two at the longest. Wish me luck.

-John

72 Dodge-Pedo'van

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:38 am 
The happy administrator

\:D/

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:28 pm 
Digital Baby Troll

Update: Finally got the old motor out, turned out to be really easy once I just took it one step at a time. If all goes well I should have the new motor in and fired up by the end of the week.

Weight reduction :lol:

-John

72 Dodge-Pedo'van

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:56 pm 
Some call me a god

Your suspension looks familiar to me :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:55 pm 

Yep, and then it's back on with the blue wheels... :rolleyes:

Caleb 3/17/12 8 lbs 15 ozs 20 inches

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next