4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 521 Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:21 pm 
Interesting I/C setup you've got there Tim. What do you want for the other starion i/c? I've want to do something different this year.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:12 pm 
The Silent Administrator

You would have to contact the guy in New York state that purchased it from my last for sale advert. I had to make up some money to get this stuff shipped here, and selling my SAFC II black face and the first Starion unit pictured with the GVR4 unit, were my only options. I might have a nice silver bumper for sale to the Asian market if this won't fit! :wink:
Sorry about that quikgt.

I have always been jealous of your intercooler setup though, as it is quite stealth, and those stainless pipes I saw two summers ago, were tres sexy! :twisted: I really have to eclipse the numbers my car put down the last time I made it to the dyno; oddly enough just hours after you guys were done.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:07 pm 
The Silent Administrator

I may not have to ditch my factory bumper, but it will have to go under the knife so to speak. Here is what I found when I looked through yet more of my pictures in reserve:

To be safe with this type of cutting modification, I will have to find some appropriately thick sheet metal or angle iron, to patch up the bumper support. I've already had one collision that proved the cutting of the support would have been a very bad thing to do.

For anyone cutting their supports, know that it is the only thing tying your front frame rails together, and in a collision, the only thing holding them from twisting all around. Heck, even just autocross and racetrack would improve from less twist in the front frame.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:35 pm 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

Quote:
I may not have to ditch my factory bumper, but it will have to go under the knife so to speak. Here is what I found when I looked through yet more of my pictures in reserve:

To be safe with this type of cutting modification, I will have to find some appropriately thick sheet metal or angle iron, to patch up the bumper support. I've already had one collision that proved the cutting of the support would have been a very bad thing to do.

For anyone cutting their supports, know that it is the only thing tying your front frame rails together, and in a collision, the only thing holding them from twisting all around. Heck, even just autocross and racetrack would improve from less twist in the front frame.
If you ever get into a wreck at more than 15-20mph your cars toast. At over 50mph our car becomes a death trap. When I do the jdm bumper cover, I'm just going to weld a 1/4" steel strip across the front to replace the bumper to prevent twisting. The stock 5mph bumpers are just that, bumpers to prevent damage under 5mph, not a safety item like crumple zones.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:41 pm 
The Silent Administrator

:evil:

Boxing day 2004

====

Why you must have good supports in place. 50 kmh at -25 celcius, right angle hit with a 95 Buick Regal (+3000 lb car). Other driver came through on a red, thinking an advance turn was a good time to come straight through. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:57 pm 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

Quote:
:evil:

Boxing day 2004

====

Why you must have good supports in place. 50 kmh at -25 celcius, right angle hit with a 95 Buick Regal (+3000 lb car). Other driver came through on a red, thinking an advance turn was a good time to come straight through. :cry:
Was your car totaled? I still can't see why 2 sheets of 16th inch steel can do much to save your life.

Also quick thread jack, I know I'm sounding like an ignorant yank, but what is boxing day?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:17 pm 
Some call me a god

Wow, I hope everyone was OK on that occasion. Too bad about that car, :cry: . Was it a complete write-off?

Boxing Day is the day after Christmas day.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:22 pm 
The Silent Administrator

It is a Canadian shoppers day that the US doesn't advertise in the news much, kind of like Black Friday for you guys. The wifey had some bad bruises and a pinched elbow joint that was super painful. I suffered a back injury, twisted knee and we both had compression injuries from the seatbelts, which definitely saved us from further harm. Car was a complete write-off due to repair cost of what was damaged. The front bumper support was the only reason the frame rails didn't move further and or crack the front windshield and create twist in the main cabin area. The motor and alternator were crushed up again the radiator and front corner bits that were all but obliterated. That was right after a full rebuild of that motor, including a hone, port matching the gaskets and the 4g37 TB upgrade (but stock injectors and ECU). I pulled alot of stuff of that wreck and even sold the Wing, Lower side skirts and the front lip, and they've gone to site members since then.

The reason it is important to have that crash bar is partly to satisfy the 5-8mph rule for cars in the US and Canada, also to note that the JDM bar is much less beefy. I'm sure members here with the JDM support can confirm, as I only have the overseas posts to gleen information from. While a bumper rule is one thing, if you get rid of the whole support or a large portion, there is no way of telling how much damage a really good hit will make, or a small hit into another object, which might write off the car in the eyes of an insurance company. I think it is safer to rebuild the support, so that it at least is closed off and forms more or less a box shape once again, even if it has to do that in a very thin fashion due to mounting of a FMIC. The more metal you have in front of you, acting in the way the manufacturer intended, could be the difference between minor and or major damage in an accident. Our cars are little tin cans with a very low safety record in the industry, so every bit counts if you want to be as safe as possible behind the wheel.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:53 am 
The Silent Administrator

Updated as of August 2nd, 2009. Need to install the new used trans, battery back to factory location, air piping and intercooler, bushings, and the list continures ...... moving soon so the car has to be road worthy or at least towable for the time being. Lots of love going into this car even if it does not hit the road this year. Anyone that would seriously consider buying this car might get sticker shock but no surprises when they come to see it. I would love to have this car finished up this season, but only time will tell. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:43 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Lots of pictures of parts added, more to come as the installation continues. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:10 am 

What are you going to do with the 4g61?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:58 pm 
The Silent Administrator

If and when the car gets sold - the way I'm leaning right now - it will go with the car. There is enough stuff to make a second turbo swapped car with all the parts I have set aside. Either way, the 4g61t is on an engine stand and will get shipped to my new residence along with everything else.

Edit - installed the used KM210 transmission I got from a member here. Wire brushed it, cleaned it, painted with primer and then with Rustoleum hammer metallic silver. Looks pretty good, almost too good so I have to throw some grease on it to match the rest of the undercoated body. :lol: At least it's back in the car, and I can focus on getting it roadworthy for the move. Also installed a brank new NSK throw out bearing. Oh, the pivot ball is shimmed with one washer as I got it delivered, so I'll be checking the arm alignment when I get it all cinched in and bled out. Be interesting to know if that was part of my shifting issues from before, but even then it was adjusted in the center as it should be, so we'll see.
Also got the urethane sway bar bushings installed. Cleaned up those brackets really well, and they were a cinch to install but it helps if you have newer nuts on the sway bar end links - those would be a royal pain to take off the first time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:56 am 
The Silent Administrator

Bit of an update - started working on a little project.

Hope this fits.

8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:20 am 
2nd Banana

Dang, where is that going to be mounted?

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:32 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Dang, where is that going to be mounted?
looks to be going around the steering column.
looking good.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 521 Next