4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:52 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
wow, I'd love to have those

me too obviously. Maybe we could split the cost of shipping? One for me one for you :axe:

Horci would you be willing to send us some bumpers to the usa? Maybe we could help you get some parts from the usa for you car

Keane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:47 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Quote:
wow, I'd love to have those

me too obviously. Maybe we could split the cost of shipping? One for me one for you :axe:

Horci would you be willing to send us some bumpers to the usa? Maybe we could help you get some parts from the usa for you car
I'll take the back bumper at least if you want just the front? Their is a person on fb making repro jdm front bumpers. I've been nagging the crap out of him about doing a rear but he didn't have one. If I can get this I'll send it to him to have front and rears available.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:37 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
I'll take the back bumper at least if you want just the front? Their is a person on fb making repro jdm front bumpers. I've been nagging the crap out of him about doing a rear but he didn't have one. If I can get this I'll send it to him to have front and rears available.
i was thinking along those lines too. (hopefully they arent too damaged) i had no idea about the reproduction bumpers being made. what a great reason to get a rear bumper over here too so it can be copied. could you point me to more info on the replicas id love to see pictures or read about them?

well its exciting even to see pictures from a junkyard halfway across the world. maybe we can work something out with Horci.

Keane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:58 am 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
Quote:
i was thinking along those lines too. (hopefully they arent too damaged) i had no idea about the reproduction bumpers being made. what a great reason to get a rear bumper over here too so it can be copied. could you point me to more info on the replicas id love to see pictures or read about them?

well its exciting even to see pictures from a junkyard halfway across the world. maybe we can work something out with Horci.
I will contact you when I get a proper information about the price, with shipping of course. It will be much cheaper if the front and rear will go to the same destination :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:15 am 
Restricted Newbie

I am going to install a small intercooler to the system, because I dont like the turbo directly to the throttle body solution.

Anybody have a experience how the lag, and power increased with a stock VR4, or DSM size intercooler?
This is a Galant TurboDiesel cooler, but the size is the same

The engine and the turbo will be stock in the future too, not planning to install a 63T neither. I dont want to loose the instant boost, but much colder air will be good for the performance. As I seen, the cooler install will give about 0,5 - 1 meter plus piping to the air system too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:01 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I will contact you when I get a proper information about the price, with shipping of course. It will be much cheaper if the front and rear will go to the same destination :)
Thanks
Quote:
I am going to install a small intercooler to the system, because I dont like the turbo directly to the throttle body solution.

Anybody have a experience how the lag, and power increased with a stock VR4, or DSM size intercooler?
This is a Galant TurboDiesel cooler, but the size is the same

The engine and the turbo will be stock in the future too, not planning to install a 63T neither. I dont want to loose the instant boost, but much colder air will be good for the performance. As I seen, the cooler install will give about 0,5 - 1 meter plus piping to the air system too.
I don't think you will notice any lag with a bigger intercooler, pressure drop from the bigger intercooler will be almost non existent. You can never have enough cooling on a turbo car. Now when you upgrade to a bigger turbo you will start noticing the spool time increases but the power band will increase with it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:18 pm 
The Silent Administrator

1G DSM Left Front fenderwell mounted intercooler setup > USDM GVR4 intercooler. JDM intercooler = good. EVO8 intercooler = better. The last two intercoolers require a bit more trimming and custom bracketry but provide likely a lower pressure drop, but larger surface area to cool with.

If you still have a the stock 4g61t motor, then a larger intercooler isn't really needed unless you have very high summer temps and lots of low speed driving with no airflow. Otherwise you should be fine. Driving style can affect this.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:16 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
i will contact you when I get a proper information about the price, with shipping of course. It will be much cheaper if the front and rear will go to the same destination
thank you Horci.

About your question on adding an intercooler. I also have an original 4g61t colt that was hotpiped from the factory.
the intake went from the turbo to the intake. I added a small intercooler from a mini cooper which is probably comparable to a dsm sidemount or smaller. It made a really big difference. I use megasquirt to control my fuel injection so i have the ability to datalog my intake temps.

with no intercooler temps were 220
with the small intercooler added, temps were 120

so i pulled an honest 100° off my intake charge with a tiny intercooler
that made a difference in power i could really feel. Plus you will most likely be able to run a little more boost without having any problems with the stock ecu, which again is more power.

as far as lag time the stock 4g61 11b turbo is so small and spools so fast you wont notice any difference in lag time.
if there is a tiny bit more lag from the longer intake tract it will be so worth it with all the more power you will have.
Long story short do it! The intercooler addition will be awesome

Keane

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:57 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Quote:
i will contact you when I get a proper information about the price, with shipping of course. It will be much cheaper if the front and rear will go to the same destination
thank you Horci.

About your question on adding an intercooler. I also have an original 4g61t colt that was hotpiped from the factory.
the intake went from the turbo to the intake. I added a small intercooler from a mini cooper which is probably comparable to a dsm sidemount or smaller. It made a really big difference. I use megasquirt to control my fuel injection so i have the ability to datalog my intake temps.

with no intercooler temps were 220
with the small intercooler added, temps were 120

so i pulled an honest 100° off my intake charge with a tiny intercooler
that made a difference in power i could really feel. Plus you will most likely be able to run a little more boost without having any problems with the stock ecu, which again is more power.

as far as lag time the stock 4g61 11b turbo is so small and spools so fast you wont notice any difference in lag time.
if there is a tiny bit more lag from the longer intake tract it will be so worth it with all the more power you will have.
Long story short do it! The intercooler addition will be awesome
220 degrees! Wow no wonder so many of these met an early demise.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:38 am 
Restricted Newbie

Little update, because the project is slowly but still running :)

I ripped apart the whole front of the car. One of the previous owner (or his mechanic) welded together the fenders and the front bar. I dont know what they tought, because the screws and nuts were in good condition ...

After that, I couldn't stop, so the engine and the tranny came out. Needed almost a full bottle of engine washer fluid, now seems like an engine not a few metal scrap covered with oil, grease and dust.

From the middle of nothing, popped out two other mirage for sale, in my country. An a 4 door sedan, 4G15, A/T, with climate, and a spare 3door (no extras ... nor have a clock in the dashboard :) )
Image Image
Broke out the white car's front. Fenders (which dont have hole for the indicator) with antenna (it had the stick too) front bumper, bumper lights, side markers, and everything what is different from the EDM models.

Yesterday, I tried the stuff together, to see how the new parts fit my car. I like it, seems like I could make it closer to its original :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:26 am 
The Silent Administrator

Wish rust free versions popped up in my area. I tore down a local donor car, kept me busy over the winter.

Your project is looking good!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:50 am 
Restricted Newbie

I havent updated for a while due the car was in the body shop. All the rusty parts and rear arches changed, so the car gave back its weight :)

As it came back, I started to clean up the engine bay and sprayed it back to white. What a lot of mess and oil ... and work :-?

Before the painting:

After:

Simultaneously the engine got new bearings (ACL Race fo course), every gasket and timing part is new. Got an oem oil cooled oil filter house and an EU Colt GTI factory small oil cooler.
The transmission is revisited, 3rd synch is needed a change and a hub, but nothing big deal.

Proper engine stand :D

Yesterday the engine jumped bacak to its place, still the crane holds it, until my timing cover is in repair (now I know the 4G63 one dont fit)

As the winter is coming :) I need to make it a working state soon ... :(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:36 am 
CSM Junkie

wow. a lot of hard work. you will be so happy when you get to do the first drive!!

Keane

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:15 am 
Restricted Newbie

A year passed till I own the car. Lot of things done, now I'm doing the assembly stage, but the weather is not helping.

I repaired the engine bay cabling (the bad or oxidized connectorts and cables changed), headlight circuit upgraded to work like an EU one (H4 and H7 bulbs), the indicator lights is now changed back to original, with an option to have a corner indicator (as an EU cars have to). Fog lights cabled too, and an outside temp sensor for the auto A/C. Oil press sensor cabled to the the cylinder head, like it came from the factory. Factory power windows work like it should be, relay is in the right place so, all wirings made like OEM.

The front bumper installed too. (Dont look at the paint work, I made it with spray ... just to be white instead of black ...)

I changed the shell of the dashboard to an uncracked one (with the VIN plate of course)
The full auto A/C is now in its place, seems like fits well.

Thence I put back the dashboard to its place, and the digital A/C heat control motor touches the dash, I had to cut back of it, so the original radio will not fit :( I have to look for a mechless radio.

Inside I had to work with the cables too. Took almost a 3 weeks, but now I can say everything works.

The actual state is this. Not too far from the first ride, the engine runs brakes and clutch working ... almost every neccessary things checked.