4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:30 pm 
Restricted Newbie

89 Colt GT with a spun rod bearing on a 2.0 6-bolt shortblock, 1.6 head, KM210, RRE EVOIII turbo, lots of extras. Not much of an interior - an Eclipse seat bolted to the floor and 4 point harness. Call it a lightweight.

Everything I have - a 2.0 head, a W5M33 Galant Transmission and non-switchable transfer case, and the LSD rear differential - EVERYTHING (except the wheels, it comes with steelies) - $1100. Bring a trailer. Located in the Ellicott, CO area (80808), in the heart of the Tri-City Metroplex.

Ask any questions you have. I will not bullshit you on anything.

I put a six bolt 4G63T - supposedly from a Galant VR-4 - under my 1.6 head with a RRE EVOIII turbo. I used my 4G61T oil pump and front cover to eliminate the balance shafts, using the old oil pump may not have been wise, but...

I was running home-cleaned salvage 450s, but the best parts of the fuel system are a brand new Supra fuel pump with a Fuelab AFPR. The engine was running on a 1990 Eclipse GSX non-socket ECU and air meter plugged into a stock 89 Colt GT wiring harness. Oh yeah, a front mount Starion intercooler. Mounts on the front bumper for rally lights (lightbar not included). Original - like from the first group buy on 4g61t.org way back in the day original - RRE strut tower brace. Koni adjustables, but they're worn.

This is a picture of a picture of it back when I bought it:

I have owned this car since 1994, but the time has come. I drove it stock for many years, only turning up the boost a bit and replacing the blown TD04 with a 14b off an Eclipse I picked up. I used it to lay out the 100 Acre Woods Rally for the first few years. I treated it like I would drive it til it was dead. It had dents from an oncoming Jeep Cherokee taking up a bit too much road and I juuuust kissed a tree with the right rear. Take a look at the picture. That tiny dent! On the right rear corner. I really got away with that one. I kept it as a badge of a lucky scrape. The hood was damaged by being backed into by a redneck "'cause yer on mah road!". fruit and banana pulled a gun on me. For the record, it was a numbered USFS road. I replaced the grille with a pimpin' Mirage one (bling!), and always wanted to get a carbon hood. I cut the undersupports from the hood, and had to go with hood pins because of the frontmount. Anyhow, it works, keeps out the rain and all.

I parked the Colt for a few years, since it had a broken seat and a blown water pump and a slipping clutch...

(I threw this hood away. I had no way to transport it and the dented one was lighter.)

Then I had to move to Colorado, so I had to sell the Colt or get it running, so I threw all the good DSM parts I'd collected over the years at it, left the interior out to fit more stuff into it for the move, and installed a ball hitch...

The shortblock I had built consumed oil like a two stroke. Possibly the above break-in was less than ideal, possibly the old oil pump was just enough to keep the light off...whatever. It ran like a gadamned top for five months, I wanted to replace the axles before upping the boost, but it would still pull up to (theoretical) 135 (allegedly, on a closed course) on just 7-8psi at 6000ft. In-freakin-credible. So I've heard. Still, a quart every 750 miles worried me.

Well, shit...

She spun a rod bearing. It sounds like a very small man is trying to get out with a tiny little jackhammer. I thought it was a lifter as I left the house, but it got worse fast and I turned it around and parked it. Condition is unknown. I'm just done. Good lord am I done with this. Twenty years is enough.

I want to keep the wheels on the car, since they will fit my wife's car, so it will come with the sweet 14 inch original steelies that I have kept all these years with genuine Michelin M4 rally tires on them. They are pictured in the picture of a picture above.

The good news is I have a 2.0 head, a W5M33 Galant Transmission and non-switchable transfer case, and the LSD rear differential to match if you are interested in an AWD conversion project. Or, put a shortblock together with my 2.0 head and put it in the engine bay.

I just don't want to do it. I'm done. I love this car, and it's passing makes me sad, but the time has come.

It used to say SCCA ClubRally, until the SCCA told us they didn't like us anymore. I laid out the course of the first few 100 Acre Woods Club Rallys in this car. The body structure shows evidence of that.

216xxx miles on some parts of it, for what it's worth.

Just rebuilt alternator, new water pump, new hoses, Cometic headgasket, Supra fuel pump and Fuelab AFPR.

The dash is fruit and banana, and I covered it with cheap non-reflective cloth. It's effective. That's the best I can say. Integrated the boost gauge nicely, though (not pictured):
I have the interior panels, including the back seat, just not here in Colorado. They are in an attic in Missouri, and I don't know how soon I could get them, but you are welcome to them.

I put a rock through the oilpan on Gratiot Lake while working as a marshal on this event. We flat-towed back to pavement and welded the oilpan in a parking lot.

It's got a little bit of rust, here on the hatch and on the wheelwell.

Motorsport IS dangerous. Anyone near this car is warned.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:06 pm 
The happy administrator

Wow that's a hell of a story! 20 years of CSM life. I'm going to mirror this into the members section, too much story to disappear into the classifieds.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd