4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:49 pm 

Hey everyone! I've been a moderator here for a few years and I've been a member for quite a while now and I've built a couple of Colts but this is a more personal matter. Three days after my sixteenth birthday I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma and underwent chemo and radiation therapy immediately. That was 15 years ago and to this day I smoke and sometimes drink but as the doctor said yesterday, I'm healthy and strong as an oxe. Anyway, I've been taking numerous tests and physicals lately to get into this job that I was offered starting at $78,000 per year and I've had to quit a program that was saving my life. I have three bulging and herniated discs in my spine (L4, L5, and S1) and was prescribed some really strong pain meds for almost 10 years. Well I woke up one day and said that enough was enough and decided that I didn't want to be a drug addict for the rest of my life. So I called my doctor and canceled my pain contract. Once I stopped taking my meds, I got sick... I mean REALLY sick. So seeking relief, I went to a different doctor and was prescribed Subutex and was on that for a little over a year. I was right in the middle of my contract with them hen I was told that I either had to stop taking the meds or not get the job. So naturally, I stopped taking them. I'm on my first 24 hours out of three and I really need all of the encouragement that I can possibly get right now. I have two boys, one is 5 and one is 2 and they need me now more than ever and this is all for them and my wife so that's a huge motivator, but I could really use the support of my friends here. Thank you everyone for all of your care and kindness, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Please pray for my strength.
Thank you everyone!
-Rob

Caleb 3/17/12 8 lbs 15 ozs 20 inches

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:03 pm 

You got this man! :prayer: :weedman:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:04 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Wow that's some serious stuff bro. I feel you, my neck and back have herniated and bulging discs too but ibuprofen still gets the job done. Also my father just passed from lung cancer from smoking cigs. He was 52. I'm trying to quit smoking and I would advise you do too. You are much more proactive about your health than my father but he was a extremely hardworking man owning his own business.

I wish you the best and your family. I used to live in pittsburg pa and I'm going to harrisburg to work soon if you ever want to meet

-Mitch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:14 pm 
2nd Banana

You're the man, Rob! You can dooooooooooooooooo ittttttttttttttttttttttt! 8)

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:50 pm 
CSM Junkie

Best wishes from here, keep cool 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:54 pm 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

I believe in you, if you need any advice call me :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:30 am 
The happy administrator

You know we're all here for you bro. :partyman:

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here and ask, is the job worth going off the meds? I've got a small glimmer of how that feels when I messed my back up years ago, luckily it healed up fine, but I was going at the pills hard just to deal with the pain.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:31 am 

The doctor gave me some non addictive meds to help with withdrawals and I actually feel much better than I thought I was going to feel but I can definitely tell that I don't have my meds in my system anymore. They say the biggest thing is the mental aspect of it and as long as I stay positive and have positive people around me then I'll be fine.

This job is working frac and slickline work for the world's largest service company Schlumberger and the supervisor that hired me said that they be grooming me to take over the operator position. He also said that if I get that position I have the chance to make $120,000+ per year, and there's NO way I can pass that up. Right now, I make $38,000 a year, so I can't pass up the opportunity to double my income because I can't grow up and put my past behind me. Everything I do is for my family and this will make it to where we won't have to worry about how we're going to pay our bills and that'll be a huge step for us.

Thank you everyone for the kind words, I knew that I have alot of friends here. I still haven't lost the turbo itch. I told my wife the other day that I want to get another turbo car and she sighed and said, "when we get caught up on our bills, you can get whatever you want."

I've passed all of my tests to get this job but there's a 3rd party company in Massachusetts that's reviewing the results of my DOT physical for the company that's hiring me and we're all waiting for her final OK before we can proceed and get me started working. I had to take three drug tests, (hair follicle, urine, and breathalyzer), a DOT physica, and a Functional Capability Test (where they test your cardiovascular health and ability to lift and I passed EVERYTHING.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:43 am 

By the way, for those that don't know what Subutex is, it's a synthetic opioid that takes the place in your opioid receptors of whatever opiate that the person was taking (ie: pain meds or heroin) and keeps that person from having to suffer through opiate withdrawal. Sure, I replaced one drug with another, but the program is in place to help make the transition easier so you can once again become a drug free person. They start you at whatever dosage makes you feel comfortable and then they gently wein you down until you don't need it anymore. Suboxone is a drug that most people have hears of and it's the same thing. They just put the people that are either pregnant or don't have insurance on Subutex because they're cheaper to buy than Suboxone. Plus, Suboxone has Naloxone in it and Naloxone is an opiate blocker that prevents you from taking any other opiate while you're on Suboxone, Subutex doesn't have Naloxone in it, just Buprenorphine (the active medication in both Suboxone and Subutex). Subutex and Suboxone come in 8mg strips and tablets. I was taking 2 and a half a day and 3 is the ceiling because the FDA made them to where you can only take so much so you don't overdose (which I've seen people try to do). I wanted to be off of them eventually, it's just that I never thought that something like this would come along and force me to have to stop earlier than the doctor intended, but it's a good thing. I've clung onto the past for entirely too long and it's time that I let go.

Once again, thanks for all of the support and kind words. It really makes it easier for me to recover when I have so many good people behind me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:49 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
three drug tests
For a job really ?
Crazy world for sure, my regional big boss take also the subutex since 2013 november.
So, you're the man like Tonus say.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:29 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Life will be somewhat easier with a little more in the bank.
Build credit, bills not such an issue, cars that run better, enough pocket money for gas in the cars, vacation and if surgery were to be an option - some health plan that helps take care of that.

Really hope you can push through it for you and your family.

Go Rob!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:17 pm 

Thanks guys! I'm hanging in there. I haven't heard anything about when my start date is yet because they aren't open on the weekends but I'm going to do my best to get a hold of that lady in Massachusetts tomorrow and get this ball rolling because we're losing money and time to get me trained. I have to train in Kellyville, OK for a little over two weeks in a couple of months to learn how to handle a truck in certain conditions. My boss said that he's going to get me trained here and rent a truck for me to take my CDL test in.

The worst symptom that I've been dealing with is a complete lack of energy. Today, I couldn't do anything. My wife wanted to cut the grass and she knows nothing about how to cut grass. I got up and cut the front but was interrupted because she wanted to clean out her car and had it parked on the side of the house in the lawn. So I went to the store and when I got back she had half of the back yard cut and never even knew that the mower was self propelled, so she cut it all by just pushing it. She comes up all sweaty and says, "I don't know how you can cut all of our grass and then help the neighbor with his. I can hardly cut half of ours!" After I told her about the self propelled part, she just laughed and went in the house. It was funny. I'm just hurting all over and have absolutely 0 energy to do anything. But I'm not going to give in. Im going to stay strong.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:09 am 
The happy administrator

Definitely can't pass that kind of cash up. Pay off the bills, buy a house (or 3) and pack away the extra for an early retirement. You've got it covered bro, good luck with the job, you deserve it.

Have a:
Round 3:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:42 pm 

Quote:
Definitely can't pass that kind of cash up. Pay off the bills, buy a house (or 3) and pack away the extra for an early retirement. You've got it covered bro, good luck with the job, you deserve it.
Thank you bro, that means alot. They say that the drug is out of your system in three days and I'm on the third day. The last time that I took it was early Friday morning and I had a half a pill (4mg) and to tell you all the truth, it's been Hell. I've even thought about calling a different sub doctor and getting back in the program but that's quitter talk, and I'm not going to take the easy way out this time. I know that I can do this, I know that I can beat this. I'm so much better off than so many people that I know. As I started to type this, my cousin called and we talked about how he doesn't have a job, lost his house, their kid, his wife and him split up for almost six months and she got pregnant to another guy and my other cousin adopted him, they lost EVERYTHING and now they're living on drug dealer's couches and are in and out of shelters. He said that neither one of them have jobs and they spend almost $100 a day on dope (heroin). Thank the Lord that I never got into that because that was the next step. Luckily I stopped myself before it got to that stage. It's so much easier to get off and stay off of Subutex and Suboxone than it is to get off of Heroin, Methadone, or pain pills because the sub doesn't have the half life that the other meds do. I am two years off of any form of pain meds, I haven't had any pain meds at all. But now that I don't have the sub in my system anymore, I can tell that it was helping control my pain levels as well because my back is killing me now. I will keep you all updated as to what goes on with this. Thank you so much for your support, it goes a long way.

P.S. I called the clinic in MA today and the receptionist said that the nurse that is handling my case wasn't in today and she probably took my file home with her so they couldn't find any information as per my case. She said to call first thing in the morning.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:07 pm 
The happy administrator

You've got this bro, get the job, get yourself set up for life and just roll with it. :partyman:

Have a:
Round 3: