4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:04 am 

Hey Everyone!

I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Zach and I live in Northeastern Illinois. I'm 18 and a Freshman in college, going to major in Graphic Design, or Illustration.

I've owned my 92' Dodge Colt for a little over two years, believe it was Aug 2010.

I did not post many photos of the car when I got the colt because I never thought I would have any intentions on doing anything to it, but these are pictures I had taken off of the Craigslist post from the seller:

Sorry for all of the pictures! Figured it would give everyone a better idea of how the car was when I purchased it. If you'd like to see a few more from when I had bought it that I hadn't posted here, here is a link to my Photobucket - MorePicturesHere! I then started researching the car, and was learning things about cars myself as I have always been asking questions. I'm still young and have PLENTY of learning to do.

Then something sad had happened. I was up in Milwaukee for Summerfest and brought one of my friends with, paid for him and saw Rise Against. We got home around midnight that night, and went to my house first, then decided to go over to his house because there was a few people over there and his family was in town. I fell asleep later that night, and I woke up to an feeling that something was missing. My keys. I looked outside to see the front passenger side of the car was crashed. I found out someone stole the keys out of my pocket while I was asleep. My car had still been okay to drive, and drove it home later that day. I looked for 3-5 months to find parts for the car. I found a hood, fender, front headlight, and a side marker light. I went through the process of bending the body panels and inner fender well back to its original shape and trying to put all of the pieces back together (It was the first time I had done any of this, let alone most of it by myself with some help from my grandpa). I took off the small amount of pin stripping it had, sanded everything down and started to fix the rust that was starting to come through. First time with Bondo as well, which was a much easier fix for me instead of welding new sheet metal on (I was trying to get it done so I could drive to school and back).

Here are some pictures I took while I had been fixing it up:

I then thought to myself that my car had been one color when it was crashed, figured I'd make it one color when I was finished. After everything was ready for paint, I had driven it down the road to my neighbor's house. We brought it into the garage and started to tape off the windows. We washed it down so there wasn't anything to mess with the priming process. After we did that, we sprayed it with some self etching primer. We let it dry that day and didn't start painting until the day after. The primer gave the car a whole new look as it was all one color again. The day after I went over there again and we had started to paint, I was very anxious to see how it was going to turn out.

Here are some pictures of the painting process (First time I had ever painted a car as well):

Primer:

Putting the front bumper cover back on:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't do anything to my car in a while after that, and decided to tint my taillights earlier this year, here are some pictures:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My friend drives a 2001 Hyundai Elantra and it has 15" 114.3mm wheels, and I wanted to see how they would fit.

Before:

After:

I don't remember the exact size of his tire on those, but they did increase the ride height a little bit which is what I would not like. I do think they looked way nicer though.

I don't remember the exact reason why, but I really wanted to clean up the interior a bit, so I went out and bought some interior glossy black paint and painted the trim and what I could:

During all of this, I also found some rear speaker mounts and covers from a local junkyard and was installing them:

I purchased a Kenwood Headunit and a pair of 6.5 Pioneer speakers to install into the mounts:

I went down to Discount Tire to look at some Tires because I needed them badly, which got me thinking into buying a set of rims. I was looking at them for a while, and ended up ordering a set of 15" Drag DR5s on Kumho 195/50/r15s, here are some pictures after I put them on:

I think they look way nicer than the small 13s that were on there before with bald tires :p

I was looking for a passenger mirror ever since I had gotten the car, it was tough. I was at work one day, and a man walked in with something in his hand, walked up to me, and said here, I think you've been wanting this. I was in shock and very happy. I offered to give him something for it, but he said he it was fine, and he didn't want anything in return. It's been taking some time getting used to something that wasn't there for two years!

Again, I apologize for so many pictures! :)
Let me know what you guys think, any advice, questions or comments would be greatly appreciated. I do plan on doing the 4G63 swap in the future but not exactly sure when.

Thanks everyone for looking. :) -Zach

Last edited by ZachSorensen on Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:02 am 
Some call me a god

Welcome to the forum. I think you have the record here for the most space used in a single post haha. The only thing I would say I don't like is the tinted tails but otherwise good work man, looking forward to the 4g63 swap. :supz:

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:55 am 

I agree tinted taillights are accident waiting to happen... what most people dont realize is that in the day time when the sun is out u cant see when the brakes are on..

it is a very nice looking car.. both blue and black.. now all it needs is to be lowered just a tad..and window tint.... great find by grandpa.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:01 am 

Thanks guys. Haha Nocturnal, I just wanted everything to be in one, up to date since I have all of the pictures and everything :) When I had tinted my taillights originally I knew they would fade. The instructions had said to do no more than three coats, so I played it a bit safe and only did two coats with 3 coats of clear. I hadn't blacked out my reverse lights because that is just stupid, nor would I go 5% on the back window with tint because even if people complain about my taillights, there is always that third brake light ;) The turn signals are pretty easy to see. I parked towards the end of my driveway, and ran all the way back to the end of my yard (1 acre) and was still able to see them, along with the breaks and running lights so they aren't bad.

I'm looking to lower it, but I'm not exactly sure how. I don't know if you guys have a link to another thread, I've tried looking, but that'd be helpful.
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:31 am 

Great job so far, especially for your age. I barely knew how to change my own oil at 18. For the suspension, find a local dsm'er with a 1g awd dsm that has ditched their stock suspenion and offer to get it out of their way for them. Take the front springs off and trim one coil at a time until you have the desired ride height that you're looking for. It will probably be more like 2 coils since you still have the lighter 1.5L engine and trans. There are a few writeups in the archives for a budget suspenion with the details.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:06 pm 
The Silent Administrator

^^^ Chris, I thought of your painted black car that was like your build and introduction as well!! I even looked at how far back your join date to see how far back that went. Haha.

Welcome Zach! That is loads of progress you have made. Seriously reminds me of when I got my first GT (N/A) and what I had to do to keep it running and stay on top of the little things. Keep up the good work but don't spend all your money on this one! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:28 pm 
CSM O.G.

Quote:
^^^ Chris, I thought of your painted black car that was like your build and introduction as well!! I even looked at how far back your join date to see how far back that went. Haha.

Welcome Zach! That is loads of progress you have made. Seriously reminds me of when I got my first GT (N/A) and what I had to do to keep it running and stay on top of the little things. Keep up the good work but don't spend all your money on this one! :lol:

THIS. Great introduction. Other than the tails (which I don't mind other than the safety factor) and lack of side trim I kept thinking of the clean black colt of Chris'. As far as easy beginner mods to do next, I would say hunt the yards for trim, a cluster with a tachometer (plug in, no wiring) and maybe the nicer door panels, clock, etc from a higher model. keep up the good work!

~joe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:56 am 
Some call me a god

Yea pretty awesome.

...alot of "had's" tho. Haha

2016 ram 1500

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:27 am 

Thanks everyone, I'm glad my car is reminding you guys of Chris's very nice colt :)

Chris, thank you. I will definitely be looking for those. I've heard they're a pretty nice upgrade at the least as well.

Eagle - Glad you liked it. This is over quite a long span, but it's definitely getting there. Thanks. I wish there was money to be spent on it though! If I do end up doing the swap, it wouldn't be until spring or later next year.

Dark - Thank you as well. I'm young, I'm into the taillights :p I do understand the safety issue. Cops have driven behind me multiple times during the day and they have never said anything so far and they've been on there for a while. Knock on wood though. I've seen a few cars in the yard with the trim that I've been thinking about taking off. I'm definitely getting the new tachometer (especially when I have the 4g63).

twokss - Thanks for looking, and I also thank you for letting me know about that.. Sometimes I just get in the typing mode and spit what I'm thinking out. When I reread it, it just slips right by. Fixed!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:24 am 
Some call me a god

I wasn't correcting you or anything. Just breaking stones. :)

2016 ram 1500

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:12 am 

Quote:
I wasn't correcting you or anything. Just breaking stones. :)
I appreciate it anyway :) That way I don't sound like an idiot too much :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:07 pm 

I actually found my old build thread and it was from 2006, over 6 years ago. I had a ton of time and money in that car but it was awesome. Then my brother and I got this bright idea to get our Dealer's License to sell cars and I needed the extra cash. I can't take the credit for the paint though, I saw pma1123's 2.0 na car and fell in love and knew I had to paint mine black.

I was in my late 20's when I built that car though and wouldn't have even thought of attempting this when I was 18 so again, props to the OP for having the guts to tackle it. I have some smooth side moldings if you are still looking for a set.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:43 pm 

I think I've seen that thread. It was a very nice build. It's sad to see that it was sold. One lucky buyer :)

It's very much appreciated though, really. I think it's just weird how I got a colt, and now I want to do all of these upgrades. Never thought I would go this far with my very first car. It'll be remembered no matter what, that's for sure. I'll get back to you on the moldings though, depends if I go for the whole GT look or not. :) Is it cool if I add you as a friend on here?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:32 pm 
The happy administrator

Welcome to 61t. Check out the suspension articles in the archive (scroll way down on the main forum page) for some ideas on how to drop your car. Used dsm parts are cheap and plentiful. Do you plan on going 4g63t in the future or do you like the gas mileage of the 1.5 too much. lol

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:46 pm 

Thanks. I've been on this site for a while, but just recently a member :)

Of course I love the gas mileage, who doesn't! I'd really like to go to the 4g63t because I'm sick of people telling me my cars a piece and to get a new car. Haha, it's cheaper to drop a new engine in here then it is to buy a new car that'll be as fast. Always wondered, what's the average gas mileage with a 4g63t in a colt? 15? Just a guess.