4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject: Re: new colt owner in GA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:45 pm 

Having a nicer bumper makes me want to paint the car. Unfortunately I have. A few obstacles to overcome. I started on the first today: roof rust repair.

Rust on the outside.

Rust on the inside.

And the crossbars removed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:07 pm 
Some call me a god

Had to do the same on my car.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:24 pm 

Luckily mine wasn't coming through the top yet. I wirebrushed it and used some rust converter. Then junked the shell later. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:07 pm 

This roof repair sucks. If I get another csm. The roof condition will be 90% what I will look for. I already have 8-10 hours in sanding/ grinding, and my painter friend estimates another 15-20 hours to get it perfect.

Progress pic. I ground down to bare metal around the rust, and ground down any rust. Filled with metal bondo like stuff.

I also started messing with the fenders.

And had to her his paw of approval after bodywork.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:22 pm 

Since the last post I have applied POR-15 to the underside of the roof. Finished the body work on the fenders. Almost finished te doors and passenger quarter. I do not have the expertise or patience to do the roof or drivers quarter. However I have a friend that will be doing those. I have been slowly collecting parts for the suspension. Here is a teaser pic of what's to come.

I am picking up some wheels I might just put on the colt, if they don't look right on there I will use them on my wife's galant. Evo8 enkei's. I testfitted some evo9 enkei's and they fit perfect. Question, with the AWD rear setup does that widen the rear track? If so, how much? Here are pics of the Evo 9 wheels. What do you guys think? Keep in mind, these are 255 tires and I will run 215 or 225 to shorten them a hair.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:24 pm 

If you haven't guessed from the last post. I am going AWD. First, I am disassembling everything, cleaning, painting it, then installing new wear items (ball joints, bushings, etc) then assembly. The plan/hope is to swap suspension and gas tanks next weekend (fingers crossed). Drive around with the rear done for a bit before I go AWD transmission. The goal is for the least amount of down time as possible since it is my daily. Now onto the pics.

All that stuff still needs to be cleaned and freshened up. But these are all ready for the new parts. I am just waiting on everything to show up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:11 pm 

The parts collecting is almost complete. The hope is to make my car handle better, and to make it last another 21+ years. Here are pics of what I currently have.

And I welded washers on the rear trailing arms to eliminate the active toe. Here is a progress pic.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:15 pm 

what camber plates are those?

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:39 pm 

I was told yoshifab when I got them. Why are they some other ones?
Quote:
what camber plates are those?

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:05 pm 

they just seem more round looking than oblong.. so I thought there might be another source out there.

http://yoshifab.com/store/index.php?_a= ... oductId=31

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:29 pm 
The happy administrator

Those are definitely yoshifab's. The only other ones out there are the ones RRE made a long time ago. I've got a set of those and they aren't as clean as yoshi's.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:40 am 

I have been busy working, and haven't updated this in a bit. First I got a new cylinder head, someone started porting it. All I did was smooth it out. Then i took it and my evo8 pistons to ATL custom coaters to get the combustion chambers coated in their thermal coating.

Here are another (stock) head I have for comparison.

Here are the coated pics.

Now everything for the new setup is at Ball engine and machine. They are fitting the head with my coated evo8 valves and Buschur springs/retainers. The Evo 8 pistons are being mated 6 bolt rods and arp rod cap bolts. Bottom end is then getting balanced, and block is getting a refresh hone and cleaning. I can't wait to but this thing together.

Next up is my rear end, it is almost together. Just have to make the dual rear caliper brackets , press in new bearings, and install the hubs onto the subframe.

Also, I am changing turbo setups this time. HX35 7blade, with a bolt on housing, FP manifold and a HKS external gate with screamer pipe.

The down pipe has been ceramic coated, the manifold is at the coaters now. And I am searching for a used housing before I buy a new one. Here is how it turned out.

The little bit on the end is an adapter I made so that I can run a stainless steel down pipe with an aluminum exhaust.

Lastly, I switched wheels. I was tired of running spacers on the eclipse wheels to clear my brakes. Now evo8 wheels clear the brakes just fine. I need to step down a little in tire size, but I like them overall.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:55 pm 
CSM Junkie

Nice work.
If you use EVO 8 piston in a 1G bloc you lower the compression ratio (different pin position)
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie- ... block.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:28 pm 

Graveyard motorsports estimates around 8.5:1. I think it is more like 8.2:1. My plan is to run a .027" or .030" cometic head gasket to compensate for the lower compression.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:01 am 

I got a good bit of stuff done, but still a ton is left. The roof is 90% smooth.

Doors, roof, and passenger quarter are primed. Only bodywork left is the driver rear quarter, little dents in the hatch, and a new hood. At least now it is mostly flat black with legitimate primer this time.

Now for the go fast, or I should say, stop fast bits. Dual rear caliper setup is almost complete. The wilwood caliper is for the brake pedal, and the other is a mechanical caliper for the parking brake. It is from an article cat wildcat. My logic is if they can stop a 1200 pound side by side, they should hold the colt still on a hill. Anyways all I have left to make them work are the e-brake cable mounts and powder coating. Onto the pics.

ImageImage

And with a wheel on.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next