4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:49 pm 

I promised to open new topic about my Mirage Turbo, so I do it:

From wednesday I'm an owner of Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo from 1989. I bought it from one of the member of polish Mitsubishi Fan Club. The history of the car:

Produced in 1989 and bought by polish imigrant in USA. In 1991 transported to Poland. In 1995 or 1997 (don't remember) bought by a friend of my friend from which I bought it. In 2005 bought by my friend and 2012 bought by me.

From 2005 to 2012 it did only 10000km (about 6200miles), and from last 2 years it did only... 500km (310miles) because my friend got a time-consuming work and got a company car.

It's an almost stock car without springs (front stock, rear -30mm red springs Jamex) and without exhaust which is from Colt C50 GTi.

Mirage have some benefits and defects.

BENEFITS:

+ fully varnish renovation in 2010, so it haven't rust,
+ new brakes (front and rear discs + pads),
+ new suspension (front stock KYB springs + shock absorbers, rear Jamex springs + KYB shock absorbers),
+ it's almost stock, even got original radio (yes, it's an very big benefit for me).

DEFECTS:

- the car is ambient, so I have to do everything with it (timing system, oils, fluids, clean brake discs from rust etc.),
- the car is broken by vandals (look at pictures), so I have buy mirrors, front and left windows,
- some fuel cable got gap and it's leaks,
- right bolt to do,
- and much stupidity like: wash all interior, sew a driver chair, wipers are rust, buy antenna, tamp A/C,

PHOTOS: (first one is the latest, other do last owner)

PLANS:

I bought a cat in a bag, because I don't drive it yet, because of lack of mirrors and left window so I only hear like engine goes and I'm sit in it. So my purchase is a large question mark. But it was cheap and it's unique in Poland (I know about 3 Mirage Turbo in our country, the one of it it's mine).

Plans for near future - on monday it goes by carry to mechanic and he do everything what I wrote above in this topic. So next week will be an answer for this car. Is it scrap or it is an well-kept car. I have hope...

If it will be very nice car at this moment I have only one plan - I want to have a blow-off :rolleyes: :P

PS: sorry for my english, mates!! :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:04 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Beautiful car man.

Welcome!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:47 pm 

Very nice!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:53 am 

Really nice Mirage :)
I guess the engine is 4g61t?
If you will ever want to sell the car, just let me know I will buy it from you :D

I see you have Yokohama Parada tires and I wanted to ask how satisfied you are with them.. but then I remembered that you practically didn't drive the car yet. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:44 am 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

Quote:
Really nice Mirage :)
I guess the engine is 4g61t?
It should be, he said the car came from the USA and it was a 89 turbo. So unless he swapped it, it's 1.6 litres of turbo powerhouse.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:56 pm 
CSM Dik

Awesome to see new members from around the world discovering our little left-hand drive beauties! Welcome to the board!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:29 pm 

#Redcolor & Mirageman - thanks :)

#Gizmo - yep, 4g61T totally stock. I'm just bought it so I don't think I will sell it fast :P. I've got queue for it in Poland :P

Yes, I didn't drive it yet so I don't have any opinion of them. You have to wait :)

#DikDiamond - when I discover this car and I read about it I didn't know that there are many fanatics over the world of this car. I read the Mitsubishi produce only (read about 3 versions) 800, 1000 or 1500 pieces of it for USA, so it's a very rare car! I wonder how many of them are in use and how many are beyond USA.

#All - anyone got a count on CARFAX and can tell me about history of my car? When I wrote VIN on carfax.com it tell me that my Mirage got 2 history but I'm not livin' in America, so can't check details of it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:07 pm 
The Silent Administrator

I started the VIN registry for these cars, and continue to run it to this day.

Would you consider sending me the details via PM (personal messages here on the site)?

I have a few cars that are listed as having come from the USA as original C53a turbo cars, that are then exported with owners to places like France, and the Dominican Republic to name a few.

I am very curious to know the information for your car. We will have to wait to see it added to the registry pictures we had posted, the archives section is waiting on a move so the pictures can come back up.

For an entry I would need the following:

Codes from the firewall plate
Build date from the plate on the pillar at the drivers door
Any information on when it came over to Poland.

This would be another very special entry, as these cars have travelled so far to get back to this site!!! 8)

Sincerely,

Tim Eagles
aka
Flying Eagle
Admin @ 4g61t.org

P.S. Thank you for joining the site, have fun!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:58 am 

For an entry I would need the following:

Codes from the firewall plate
Build date from the plate on the pillar at the drivers door
Any information on when it came over to Poland.

For those informations You have to wait, because I don't have a car near home, because of lack of mirrors, left window and cracked front window, so I can't drive with it right now and a car stay about 12km from my home right now. On monday it goes on carry do mechanic and when I pick up it from him I will do photos of this plates and give You any informations You need :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:54 am 
The Silent Administrator

That would be great!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:39 pm 

Wow, beautiful car man. I hope you decide to keep it!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:01 am 

Up...

The car is in good hands right now. We've transported it to trusted mechanic who is specialized in Mitsubishi. Some photos and movies from today operation:

Filmy i zdjęcia od MKMa:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/p2274723.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/201/p2274726.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/259/p2274731.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/826/p2274759.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/46/p2274760.jpg/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXJ3vUDX ... _-o1bsMZGx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 4k5rnjkRP0

Hold on Your thumbs!! I'm waiting for telephone from mechanic and he will tell me about Mirage, because he will be do fully review of it :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:34 am 

That smoke from the exhaust.. Doesn't look good.
Looks like it is burning oil.. Maybe the exhaust is full with oil so it is burning up.. or turbo...
I hope it is not the engine :(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:06 am 

#Gizmo - I didn't write about this smoke. So when we start up the engine that smoke looks like on movie, but after about 1-3 minutes this smoke transformed to only water vapor and when we give him some gas pedal he smokes only water vapor later, even on high revs.

On our Mitsu fanclub people says that is normal when car stay so much time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:13 am 
The Silent Administrator

My car sat for the better part of 2-3 years. Upon startup I thought my turbo must have gone bad or seals had leaked a ton of oil into the motor.
Drove around the block and held the foot at 3-4k RPM for a few minutes and the smoke cleared up finally.
I suspect the turbo seal let oil into the exhaust area and it had to burn off.
Car runs smoke free now, with either that turbo or the other one I switched to (14b also).

Take the car for a good run and see what happens. If the smoke does not go away come back and ask a few questions, because seals indicate idle smoke, and driving would normally be a turbo with bad seals. I suspect you will be fine and this is just what happens when things sit for a long time.
Oh, if the car smokes all the time, don't drive too far until you get that fixed or you can plug up the catalytic converter which I suspect your factory exhaust still has.