4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:05 am 
Restricted Newbie

Hi guys this is my Mitsubishi Colt from 1988. It has the 4g15 engine and has only done just under 19,000 in its entire life. I am the second owner from new.

When I bought it back in June:

As it is now in August:

This is what the engine bay was like when I bought it:

Then after some little cleaning, not even a major cleaning job:

The engine is 100% original, nothing has been changed. The only thing that has been changed is the battery. Even the ignition leads etc are dated from 1987!

Cleaned up under the boot carpet:

Thanks for reading :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:48 pm 

:o Very nice!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:49 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Looks like a keeper. Great find, hope it was not inherited. So, time related failure might be the only thing this car experiences in it's short lifetime. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:33 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Thanks guys. The car wasn't inherited. An old chap gave it to a guy who wanted to sell it for him as he didn't know how to use a computer. I won it on ebay for the pretty nice price of £500, which is about $810.

Well I already have a couple of problems with it. When I bought the car it had been sitting for a while. It seems to be improving the more I use it especially with things such as the steering. It has no power steering and at first it was incredibly hard at all speeds and all manouvers.
Now it lightens up fine and is good to use. Same as £20($32USD) worth of fuel got me about 40 miles, then since then another £20($32USD) got me 80 miles, and currently looking at about 80-90 miles out of another £20($32USD). That price is with fuel at £1.35 a litre (Equivalent to $8.18USD per US gallon), so 3.2 UK Gallons of fuel per 80 miles which is about 25mpg. A fuel consumption I would consider to be pretty poor for a low power low displacement petrol engine. Especially when the official figures for the car were about 38mpg urban and 52mpg on motorways.

Thing is I can't find a repair manual for this model of car anywhere! I seem to have oil coming out of the hose thats coming out the front of the block. Apparently an oil pressure hose or something.

It also has a strong smell of fuel coming from the engine but the carb is perfectly clean, almost new looking, and all hoses etc are connected properly. The smell would indicate to me there was an over fueling problem but I have no idea of how to source the problem being that I am not mechanically minded or hands on. This would certainly explain my 25mpg problem.

The car also "stutters" after when I change gear. Not the same as the feeling of the engine about to conk out from say being in a too low gear, but at a steady acceleration it could feel quite jerky or lumpy. Only way I can stop this from happening is by giving it more throttle, but that just gives me a strong fuel smell again.

I also noticed the spark plugs had about a 1mm gap. Having the service / repair book would come in handy as I am pretty sure the gap should be smaller, possibly another factor in the problems the car is having.

Has anyone had this experience with these engines? Any advice? Any basic things I could check and perhaps do first to try and cure the problem such as new fuel filters etc? I might get a new set of leads considering mine are from 1987. The car might not be used much but I understand that time itself could play a factor in its problems.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:00 pm 
Some call me a god

Very nice, looks fantastic. You stole it for $810. It sounds like your car needs a fresh tune up.

94 Talon TSi AWD Auto - Sold
90 Laser RS FWD 4G63T - Hit and totalled

Summer - 2000 Pontiac Fireturkey Trans Am LS1 A4
Winter - 2006 Honda CRV K24 5MT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:20 pm 

Holy crap that car is clean, nice find sir!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:00 am 

christ, i think this is the 3rd or 4th forum ive seen this on!! lol

have look on ebay you can get an owners repair manual the pic on the front is your style of colt, the dates are for the c5 colt?! go figure, but it covers the 4g15 quite well. (just had alook and i cant see one now! its white with red and black writting/pics)
I have the haynes maual "JAPANESE CARBURETTTORS" that covers yor model colt, £8 to your door if you like. it does sound like it just needs a tune up, the carb. maybe the chokes stuck on a little, the timing may be out you may have a blocked jet.................

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:59 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
christ, i think this is the 3rd or 4th forum ive seen this on!! lol
Haha the whoring wasn't intentional, promise :lol:

Another problem to add to the list is after topping up my coolant last week it's already gone back way below the bottom line again. It's drinking coolant at an alarming rate.

I don't even drive hard but already I seem to be preferring engines already broken in rather than nice low milage cars! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:53 pm 
The happy administrator

You should do a complete fluid flush/change on everything. With a car that has that low of miles, it might even be the original fluids! Bet it's some nasty gunk.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:54 am 

yeah the coolant could just be gunk or an air lock causeing the coolant to overflow