4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:51 am 
Restricted Newbie

Hey everybody, i have a 1990 Dodge Colt Import (made in Thailand). I wish i could post my pics but i have no idea how to upload the pictures to 90x90 pixles...thats a stupid problem to post eh! Its a 4 door 1.6L SOHC Turbo that was in much better condition before i let it sit for a year or two. Canada is mean to cars up here! I also purchased a doner car (1990 FWD Eagle Talon TSI) as i plan to swap a rebuilt 4G63T in there.

Im a rookie with a little trial and error experience, everything im doing is new to me so i get held up a lot (electronics scare me!). I pulled the G32BT out the colt yesterday and now im confused what to start with now. All i have for help is some manuals and you guys and money saved for the project. I want to rebuild the 4G63T as it has 230+kms. My goal is to restore the Colt as best as possible within my budget ($5000 - $10000).

I have a shed to work in once the snow hits but the car dont fit. Seeing as i dont plan to be done until next year i want to prioritize my tasks for the remainder of the nice weather. What should i be doing with my time?

I dont want to install new axles, control arm/ball joint, tie rod, bearings, struts/springs, complete brakes if its gonna sit outside for another winter.

I still need to pull the 4G63T but i figure do the rebuild in my shed over the winter cuz i have no idea what to do and that will eat up the rest of the nice weather i have left here. What exactly do i need to do...send it to be machined and what else? do i need to bore the cylinders or does that make things more complicated? i plan on replacing with all new parts. what ones can i ignore...like the crank and tranny (unless they break) but what else? i dont want to waste money. I basically want a brand new (mechanically) 1990 DSM running in my Colt.

I figure to start body work on the colt and try to install fresh brake and fuel lines for now... any advise to start with?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:55 am 

Wow, it sounds like you took on quite a project. What you are talking about is going to be a ton of work and a lot of money. You will have to be really dedicated to see this to the end.

Does the engine in the talon run now? It may not even need to be rebuilt if it was maintenanced properly. You could probably get away with fixing some leaking gaskets and putting in new valve seals.

If you are dead set on rebuilding it the first thing you need to do is tear it down and check out the internals. Be sure to take your time here and label all of the bolts and parts. It may be months before it goes back together and your mind won't be as fresh then. Find a good machine shop and take them the crank, the engine block and the cylinder head. Have them check the crank to make sure its within spec, if they say it needs to be ground find another crank. Unless there are gouges in the cylinders you should be able to get by with a hone job and new rings.

For pics, get a photobucket or imageshack account.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:00 pm 
Some call me a god

Welcome. Your car sounds rare, I've never seen a 1990 c12/13 turbo car before. I have a c13 turbo sedan too mines an 88. I also have a swapped 91 c62 sedan, 3rd gen car.

Use photobucked to host your pictures then link then into you posts on this site.

A good place to begin your swap is with the engine wiring harness. Search for miragists. He did this swap to his c12 hatch. Also deco_will_fly, he was parting his car out.

What are the details of your car? You may be able to sell off some of those g32b parts on here too.

Good luck!

94 Audi s4 - sold
88 Eagle Vista Turbo LX sedan, RIP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:37 pm 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

Guys stop getting them to use photobucket, Have them use http://gallery.4g61t.org . I can't view photobucket because its blocked by the navy :evil: . I'ts free, plus there is no ads, and I have no limits on bandwidth if used for 4g61t.org . :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:31 pm 

Haha, I pm'ed you three months ago asking how to get my password for the gallery and you never got back with me. So photobucket and imageshack it is because they actually work. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:05 pm 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

I gave you specific instructions on how to solve your issue. Its not my fault you didn't :lol:
I'll Pm you again about the issue.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:57 pm 
Some call me a god

I do use the gallery, its full and I can't put any more pictars on there. I'm a bit of image whore.

Still waiting for images of this ride.....

94 Audi s4 - sold
88 Eagle Vista Turbo LX sedan, RIP

Last edited by j2dapo on Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:15 pm 

Quote:
I gave you specific instructions on how to solve your issue. Its not my fault you didn't :lol:
I'll Pm you again about the issue.
Your specific instructions were wrong :axe:

You said that you would get with PaulMezz for the answer, creating a new account was out of the question because it asks for your username. I already have one account for the Gallery set up under 89Mirageman so I can't open another one.

So for those that open an account in the Gallery don't be like me and forget your password. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:52 pm 
The Silent Administrator

I think I will have to travel to see this car, as it would appear we live in the same general region. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:56 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Thanks for the tips guys, it seems i do have a lot of work down the road. I love the colt it was just time for an upgrade and i heard the 1990 CSM and DSM match well.

Il get the pics up soon.

Mr. Administrator i live in west ottawa, how close are you? Send me a PM and we can chat id love to show you the project, shes apparently 1 of 500 made.