4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:05 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Re: Diamond in the rough
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:33 am 

The front windshield needs to come out anyway since its busted. There should be spot welds holding the roof skin on under that lip. Side windows will have to be removed too. You'd be looking at at least $1000 to have a shop repair it correctly with another roof skin and thats probably a very low estimate. Like I said, I repaired mine but I only had one dent on the side over the door. We welded some plates to the upper door jamb in class and used a snatcher to get the overall shape back. Then I fine tuned it with body hammers or whatever I could find to get up in there to get the basic shape back. Then a thin coat of body filler just to fill the little ripples left by the hammer blows. You may be able to do the same thing to yours. I would try to find an experienced body man in the area and maybe email him some detailed pics or see if he will stop by and take a look at it.

Either that or go sign up for paint/autobody classes and try to tackle it yourself with the instructor's supervision. That will be the cheaper route plus you'll learn something in the process.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:03 pm 
CSM Dik

I'm going to contact a few local body shops and see what I can come up with. Hope I can still get everything that I was planning to as well...new fuel tank and pump,timing and pulley kit as well as tensioner,O2 sensor and '90oil filter housing and cooler. Anyone care to guestimate a number for me? Safelite quoted me $192 for the windshield

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:36 pm 
CSM Dik

I'm going to get the windshield replaced,and drive it like it is until I decide what to do about the roof. I've got a local DSM'er helping me with my timing belt/water pump change,when the weather in Ohio decides to play nice :lol: After that,in no particular order...

Eibach Pro Kit springs
new fuel tank and Walbro 190 fuel pump
new sway bar end links and sway bar bushings
front end alignment
change linkage on wipers(plastic joints are shot,motor keeps popping off the arms)
2g exhaust manifold and o2 housing
new o2 sensor
1g DSM sidemount intercooler and piping
'90 oil cooler and housing
new Autometer boost gauge
relocate Autometer oil pressure sending unit...engine vibrations already killed one lol

Need to update even if for my own sanity...getting tired of not getting anything done,even though I know the weather is like this most of the time in Ohio. Agh I need a garage! Or rent a storage unit lol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:04 pm 
CSM Dik

Finally got to take her out for a few test drives today,and what a difference!! Fixed a nasty boost leak,by eliminating the vacuum system except the fuel pressure solenoid. I could actually hear the turbo spool and the bov release haha...boost FTW :supz: I said f$%k the body work and just wanna drive it the rest of the year. New parts:windshield,timing belt,pulleys,tensioner,water pump,fuel tank(had to slot the holes),190 Walbro fuel pump,Intrax springs in the front/Eibach Sportlines in the rear(soon to be Intrax),Autometer boost gauge,sway bar bushings,end links with Prothane bushings,shifter bushings replaced with skate bearings. Newish parts:15" steel wheels,1.6t eeprom ecu w/2.0 chip(thanks Tonus!),Frankenstein shifter. Still need to get an alignment. But man it shifts as smooth as glass! Love the shifting thanks to the shorter throw,can't wait to see if it improves once I bleed the clutch. I'm just psyched it's running again! Better pics to come,after I clean her up.

Kate Upton approved bahaha