4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:26 pm 
The happy administrator

Yikes man, hope you got a really good deal on it! Don't forget to check under the hood for the fusible links and the relays to make sure they're all there. If you plan on doing the swap right away, pull the motor out, then you can yank the engine harness out and figure out your wiring from there, then pull the interior The starter will click when you've got a bad battery connection or a dead battery.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:41 pm 

I got it for 50 bucks...so even if I dont get it running ever again I will still be able to sell it for my money back.

The click doesnt sound like its coming from the starter, it sounds more like its coming from under the dash some where. I checked all the fuses under the hood and they're all there and in good shape. Just missing all the fuses by the kick panel inside.

Does anyone have a picture of what the wires for the battery terminals look like? I have two wires hanging that should be connected some where. I also have another ground wire thats connected to frame in front of the car thats hanging...I think it was supposed to be connected to the engine. I will find a free bolt and stick it on there.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:59 pm 

Well I gave up on trying to get this thing to fire, the battery is brand new and the starter clicked but nothing else...either its bad or I have a bad ground some where but either way I gave up and this is where I am now.
Pulled all the seats and carpet out...just nasty, carpet is in the trash and so are the front seats.
The rear where the spare tire should be has some rust, I may have to sand it down and paint it
Engine is ready to come out as soon as I am able to get an engine hoist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:16 pm 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

When I was fooling around with the 1.5's before there is a yellow striped black wire near the air box. It has a single connector that connects it to another wire. If it accedently gets unplugged the car will not start.I used to unplug it as my ghetto alarm system. also check to see if your starter bolts are tight, if not the car wont start.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:26 pm 

Quote:
When I was fooling around with the 1.5's before there is a yellow striped black wire near the air box. It has a single connector that connects it to another wire. If it accedently gets unplugged the car will not start.I used to unplug it as my ghetto alarm system. also check to see if your starter bolts are tight, if not the car wont start.
I had a yellow striped wire hangin but it didnt have a connecter, it had a washer time connection thingy....its to late anyways, the wiring harness is off, ecu is out and the exhaust and motor mounts unbolted...this thing is ready to come out.

Crackerman which I havent seen on here in a while is going to pick up the 1.5L. Dont know what he's going to do with it but better then it going to a salvage yard.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:24 am 

Got up this morning and got to work
This thing was a pain and I need a new one because this one looks like crap
I also need a newish shifter assembly and brake lever assembly
All the interior stuff I took off, who knew so much was behind the dash or attached to it.

Since all this stuff is off, only things left to do is unbolt ECU, remove the heater core and take out the wiring harness. And THEN...clean up time...gonna try and make this thing shiny again before I put new carpet down.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:44 pm 

that dash looks great compared to mine.. mine has at least 50% more cracks than that one does lol

very nice work so far..keep it up

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:16 pm 

Well I drove all the way to Dallas to the pick-n-pull looking for a motor and motor mounts. I found neither so I drive home, I decide to stop at the local junk yard which is 2 minutes from my house and there I find a turbo 4g63 and tranny from a 1990 eclipse gs-t. couple hours and 350 bucks later I have a 4g63 and manual tranny. Wiring harness was already chopped up and the ecu was gone but those are easy to find in comparison to a cheap tranny and motor.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:28 pm 

I bought some cleaner crap that was recommended at oreillys and that shit burned by nose, I cleaned one side to see if it would work and did it ever, hell I'm not even going to remove the sound deadining stuff anymore. This is good enough for me.

I still have to sand down the rear to remove the rust and repaint it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:31 pm 

Question: Is this wiring harness all one piece? This thing looks like it goes to every part under the hood..it goes to the windshield wipers, I mean everything...do I have to separate it or something?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:10 am 

nope u pull the whole thing

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:39 am 

Quote:
nope u pull the whole thing

Steve

Good to know, thanks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:01 pm 

I went to harbor freight yesterday and bought an engine hoist, a tool cart and a little stool with wheels...all rather convenient to have.
So this morning I got cracking on removing the engine and it was a bitch...I couldn't lift the car up because its on an incline so I removed the axle nuts and pounded them out as much as I could.

This motor mount had a tight nut on it and the nut was partially stripped so I couldnt get it off

Couldnt get the exhaust loose so I just unbolted the manifold, looks like it was already cracked

Axles were holding on for dear life but finally they broke free

Then it got stuck again by the transmission

I had to reposition the chains with on on the block and one on the transmission so that the tranny could pass through, then I reposition the chains again and up she came

I have some cleaning to do and wiring harness to remove...I thought the harness was just the engine side, I didnt know it was all that other crap too

Not it sits waiting for Crackerman to come get it

More to come.....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:41 pm 
Some call me a god

Nice jack-o-lantern! The engine harness is all one piece, both the old one and the dsm one. Easy!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:22 pm 

I have so many questions that the faqs dont fully cover.

I hear some people say use a 91+ DSM harness and then others say to use a 90 DSM harness.

Also, why only use a 90-94 4g63 why not the 7 Bolts which could be found even cheaper?

And what is the difference between the 90 FWD DSM tranny and the 91+? My shifter is nasty as hell and someone told me to use the shifter from the eclipse and just make an adapter but that would require me to use a 91+ DSM tranny because of the shifter linkage or something...I'm just confused

I need to phone a friend or something that has done this swap so I can ask all the questions I have.