4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:05 pm 

Thanks for the advice... I see you are from Seattle? Funny, I just bought this car in Seattle and had it shipped to me!!!

I was originally thinking the FWD 63t swap myself.. But, several folks on this forum have told me that the 61t is just as tune-able as the 63t and I already HAVE a 61t to rebuild! :-) So, right now I'm leaning that direction... I will have the body and interior totally restored as well..

Good luck with your Mirage, if you have some pics post them I'd like to see it! I just posted pics of my purchase today.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:40 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Sounds good, I'm leaning towards the 4g63 myself because I don't have a motor to begin with, lol. If I had the 4g61 already though, I would keep it too. I should be able to get some pictures of my little bucket today since I just towed her home. Keep us posted with your little demon :partyman:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:33 pm 
Some call me a god

If your going to rebuild the 61t, you might as well find a cheap 2.0 (63t) and slap it in. its a direct bolt up. and more hp/tq.

But welcome.. Once your bitten by the Colt/mirage bug. Its hard to get away.. 5year and going strong here

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:40 pm 

Hey buddy, if you WANT to stick with the original engine try this link... just 19 hours left on the auction, it looks like a pretty good price for drop and drive. (everything included)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... &viewitem=

If you have to have a 4G63t and have the scratch to spend, check this one out!...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mitsubis ... dZViewItem

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:45 pm 

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I am tempted to just take the original 4G61t and have it rebuilt and tuned and a new turbo..etc.., but basically still factory... I just don't know how much horsepower I can expect to get and still have a daily driver?

OR, I could just say "screw it" and make a monster out of it with AWD and a 6-bolt 4G63t conversion with performance tuning. I'm just a bit apprehensive about as I would need a Talon donor car and then it isn't "really" a rare factory GT Turbo car anymore.. as you can do that same conversion to a base Colt "E" car...

Well, thanks for reading this long post... and I'M ALL EARS?!!!
As far as reliability I made 330 whp on a bone stock 4g61t (other then metal head gasket and arp studs) It didnt last long only went 353,000 miles before it lost ring seal (made 278 frm 100,000 mile until 260,000 ) :) so yea reliabilty is an issue. Welcome aboard strap in and Hang on

CSM's the most fun you can have with 4 wheels

DJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:46 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Hey buddy, if you WANT to stick with the original engine try this link... just 19 hours left on the auction, it looks like a pretty good price for drop and drive. (everything included)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... &viewitem=

If you have to have a 4G63t and have the scratch to spend, check this one out!...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mitsubis ... dZViewItem

that 2nd link is for a Evo9 dropout.. they wont bolt into a colt.. you need one form a 1990-1992 eagle talon/mitsu eclipse.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:54 pm 

Quote:
that 2nd link is for a Evo9 dropout.. they wont bolt into a colt.. you need one form a 1990-1992 eagle talon/mitsu eclipse.
:chin: OOPS! Well, I am a newbie to the 4G world... Maybe I was just dazzled by all that shiny shiny metal.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:11 am 

Quote:

As far as reliability I made 330 whp on a bone stock 4g61t (other then metal head gasket and arp studs) It didnt last long only went 353,000 miles before it lost ring seal (made 278 frm 100,000 mile until 260,000 ) :) so yea reliabilty is an issue. Welcome aboard strap in and Hang on

CSM's the most fun you can have with 4 wheels

DJ
I would be VERY interested in hearing your thoughts on what to include on a stock 4g61t rebuild, producing let's say some where between 230 - 250ish horsepower. Yeah, I know modest aspirations... :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:19 am 
The happy administrator

Bigger turbo, new mls headgasket, headstuds, mbc, injectors and a chip to go in the ecu (after having it socketed) that matches the injectors and kills fuel cut.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:54 am 
2nd Banana

Head studs and a mls gasket? For those power goals? Not even necessary.

Those goals can be achieved on a 16g setup with all the supporting mods without even breaking a sweat.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:35 am 

All good info gentlemen... I'm takin' notes here.

Okay, <deep breath> I have to ask some questions that reveal my lack of knowledge. :oops:

What is "mbc"?

Are there video or online instructions available for chipping my 4g61t ecu? How do you match injectors to chipped ecu? (Is there some place I can just send it to and pay to have this done?)

Please elaborate on "16g setup with all supporting mods"?

As well, is there a specific turbo model that you would suggest? Suggested boost?

Much thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:37 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
What is "mbc"?
MBC = manual boost controller
Quote:
Are there video or online instructions available for chipping my 4g61t ecu? How do you match injectors to chipped ecu? (Is there some place I can just send it to and pay to have this done?)
No. You can only "chip" the ECU if you have a factory EPROM ECU, which is rare on the original turbo cars. You need to take your ECU out and open it up, only then can you tell if it's EPROM or not. Once you've figured that out, there are several people who can socket the EPROM and modify the code to suit your needs. The other option is to find an EPROM ECU out of a 1990 Eclipse/Talon/Laser, but it has to be a 1990 model year.
Quote:
Please elaborate on "16g setup with all supporting mods"?
A 16g is an upgrade turbo that bolts directly on to Eclipses and Talons. It won't bolt directly on to a 4g61t, but it's just a matter or getting all the water and oil lines from the 16g and then everything else bolts up. Once you have a turbo like that you need the supporting mods, like a bigger fuel pump, bigger injectors, an intercooler of some sort, upgraded mass-air flow meter, full exhaust system, stuff like that.
Quote:
As well, is there a specific turbo model that you would suggest? Suggested boost?
A 16g is a solid turbo. You could even use a 14b, which is the stock turbo from a manual transmission 90-94 Eclipse/Talon/Laser. The stock 11b that came on the 4g61t is TINY, so a 14b or a 16g is a huge upgrade. If you're on a stock fuel system without an intercooler I wouldn't go much over stock boost. With an upgraded fuel system and an intercooler and a proper tune you can run 20psi no problem, maybe even more.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:55 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
No. You can only "chip" the ECU if you have a factory EPROM ECU, which is rare on the original turbo cars. You need to take your ECU out and open it up, only then can you tell if it's EPROM or not. Once you've figured that out, there are several people who can socket the EPROM and modify the code to suit your needs. The other option is to find an EPROM ECU out of a 1990 Eclipse/Talon/Laser, but it has to be a 1990 model year.
you can send the ecu out to ecmtuning for their conversion board ...well i dunno if itll work with the csm ecu but i would imagine so

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:24 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
you can send the ecu out to ecmtuning for their conversion board ...well i dunno if itll work with the csm ecu but i would imagine so
The ECU's are virtually identical, the only difference is the code because Mirage/Colt Turbos came with 390cc injectors and a smaller MAF. I'm sure the timing and fuel maps are different as well, but if you have an EPROM ECU you can just burn DSM base maps into the chip and go from there.

How much does ecmtuning charge to convert an ECU to EPROM? I just recently heard that they started doing this.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:45 pm 
CSM Junkie

im pretty sure the conversion is 140$