4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:44 pm 
CSM Junkie

I was getting a little work done on the car today, when I decided to finally install my new sway bar bushings. Here's what I found when I went to install the front passenger side bushing:

NO DAMN BUSHING!!!

I have no idea how long it's been like that. I imagine it rotted apart over time and just fell out. Now it's been replaced with a nice, stiff, purple Superpro bushing.

By the way, I should really change the title of the thread....my car has been idle since early 2007 :(
I'm hoping to change that this week.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:20 pm 
CSM Junkie

Civic radiator! I realized that it would make life a lot easier if I went with a Civic radiator, that way I could use the majority of the GVR4 hot side intercooler piping. So I found this mofo locally for only $50, and it came with a mondo electric fan, too. SCORE.

(the fan is on the upper right hand side of the pic, and you can also see where I modified the shifter arm on the tranny to work with the GVR4 shift cables)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:09 pm 
CSM Junkie

Swapped in Ford injector harness plugs...no more stupid metal clips to lose!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:10 pm 
CSM Junkie

Completed the intercooler setup. Mounted/secured front bumper (it's only on with two bolts, but it's snug as a bug in a rug!). Completed TPS wire harness cut/paste. Hooked up all vacuum lines. Connected A/C harness and knock sensor harness. Hooked up a few other things. Connected starter harness. Installed intake.

I still need to figure out wtf I'm gonna do with the coil pack. The GVR4 one is 4-wire, the Mirage one is 3-wire. None of the wire colors match up. So at this point, I'm probably going to remove the GVR4 coil pack and use the Mirage one....hopefully I'll be able to mount it securely somewhere.

I STILL need to tighten the lower motor mount. But I did jack the car up higher (that's how I did the starter, knock sensor, and A/C hookups). I also need to connect the A/C lines to the firewall, tighten the strut bolts, bolt up the wheels, change the oil, change the tranny fluid, and change the spark plugs. Oh yeah, and that fruit and banana full tank of ancient gas.

I really only have a couple hours of work left to do. I might even work on the car a little more after dinner.

Oh yeah, and my bro already scored me a pair of bumper lights for the Infiniti bumper. They're waiting for me down in FL. So I'll only be ghetto style for a little bit.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:01 am 
Some call me a god

Keeping busy man 8) I bet your favorite part of all that so far was to empty out the rancid gas from the tank. Just kidding....that's pretty much the worst ever!

Is there a difference in 61t or 63t coils, besides the wiring?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:07 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

The extra wire is for the tach cluster. The 89 turbo and 90 DSM have this. You want to look at the power transistor and see if it has 8 pins or 6. the wiring is different. Lilevo has the manuals or PM me and I'll e-mail to you. it is 20Mb total though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:44 am 
CSM Junkie

I ended up just using the 4g61T coils, I didn't want to deal with the whole 6 vs 8 wire dilemma.

Here's the finished product:

And here you can see how I mounted the '61 coil pack to the throttle cable bracket spot on the intake mani. It made the #1 plug wire too short (so it's currently replaced with the old #2 wire), and the #4 wire is too short to follow the usual routing. So no plug cover for me.

But lemme tell ya, the combination of Prothane lower motor mounts and the Superpro sway bar bushings have really made the front end feel solid. Also, the car feels STRONG as hell. I'm still breaking in the clutch, and I need to set the timing, so I'm babying the car. But it stull pulls like a mofo, even at part throttle. It really felt amazing to be driving the car after having it be a driveway ornament for so long!

Oh yeah, and in that second pic, you can see the Cyclone actuator (very bottom of the pic). I didn't have time to remove that manifold for a regular 4G63 one, so I'm going to see what it's like driving with that variable runner crap. I just have it hooked up to a manifold vacuum source. BTW, the engine is idling perfectly, and I'm getting right around 20psi of vacuum at idle. And the crushed DSM BOV is chirping even at partial boost (it used to only sound off under higher boost loads on my 61/14B. I'm going to really enjoy this car!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:32 am 
Some call me a god

nice work! where did you buy the ford injector clips? What car do they come from, i hate those pesky metal clips on the stock inj!

http://www.4g61t.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18146

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:32 am 
CSM Junkie

Thanks! A buddy of mine gave them to me, and another friend of ours gave them to him. So my buddy didn't know exactly what Ford they came from. HOWEVER, I do know that they were pulled off a car in the junk yard. I imagine it was an early 90's Ford. I'm going to talk to the original finder of the plugs today, and I'll find out exactly where they came from.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:03 am 
Some call me a god

Damn dude...it's finally finished!!!! :partyman: Believe me, I know how great it feels when you finally have a car that's mobile, and not just some driveway decoration. Way to go 8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:48 pm 
CSM Junkie

Got a new 10" fan (maybe shoulda went with a 14"...but I can always upgrade later), and the car is good to go! I'm having some weird electrical issues (right blinker does nothing, left blinker moves really fast...and makes the tach needle bounce, and tach drops to zero in reverse). I don't have the bumper lights hooked up at all (no place to put them until I get the side markers for the G20 bumper), so that may be part of the issue. I also bet I'm missing a ground somewhere.

But the car runs AWESOME. Pulls REALLY strong. I only had one spot in maybe 1st or second where the ecu was pulling a little timing...I still need to set the timing though...so I imagine I can tune that out. Plus, I haven't even messed with the AFC.

But anyway, I'm really glad to have the car on the road!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:50 pm 
CSM Junkie

pics:

(I know, it needs to be completely repainted, it needs a passenger side mirror, and it needs the damage by the rear driver's side wheel fixed. I'll get to that stuff eventually!)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:33 pm 
Some call me a god

nice! looks like an oem front bumper. What color are you gonna paint it?

http://www.4g61t.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18146

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:33 pm 
Some call me a god

Nice job! Your blinkers are partly messed up cause of the lack of the front bumper lights, mine were the same way.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:30 pm 
CSM Junkie

The car is going to stay flat black for a little while longer (and I'll be matching the bumper and the new mirrors I have yet to install). I think I eventually want to two-tone it, with the bottom (starting at the top edge of the molding) being one color, and the top another. Not sure what two colors though.

Maybe kind of like my first car (a 1989 Plymouth Sundance RS Turbo),

I definitely agree that the blinking issue is due to the parking lights being awol. I need to find the harnesses and plug in a socket and bulb until I get the Infiniti side markers next week!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next