4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 810 Next
 Post subject: Re: Devo's '92 Summit DL
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:43 pm 
CSM Junkie

What was the reason to go to the 4x100? Are the new rims that pattern?

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:48 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

yes they are, and.......i'm done!

got the calipers and brakes on tonight, and gave it a quick test drive. so very grippy, turns without hesitation.

alignment is still needed since the tires are toed out a bit, but camber looks pretty good, no noticeable positive camber, but we'll find out tomorrow at the alignment shop.

pictures of the finished product tomorrow when i get her back from the shop :D

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:17 pm 

things to remember: if your friend says he can roll your fender lips for you, don't let him, unless he can prove he has proper tools beforehand :(

so the drivers side rear fender looks like ass now :\ i'd take a picture, but it's dark now, and i'm pissed off.

figured it wouldn't look all that great when he was done, but fruit and banana hell i didn't think it'd look like complete shit.

a little good came out of this i guess. autocross is tomorrow, so at least my tires won't rub.

pictures and video(maybe) tomorrow after the event.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:21 pm 
The Silent Administrator

so, this friend brought a wooden bat and a good pair of gloves? I need to see what happened to make this go wrong. The Brits make this sound easy and like everyone does it in between tea times, but I have never seen this in practice. Hope the car is up to par for you this year. I'm sure you will be cutting down on the lap times.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:45 pm 
The happy administrator

Sounds like you're the perfect candidate to buy some ebay fender flares and test them out for us!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:40 am 

Quote:
so, this friend brought a wooden bat and a good pair of gloves? I need to see what happened to make this go wrong. The Brits make this sound easy and like everyone does it in between tea times, but I have never seen this in practice. Hope the car is up to par for you this year. I'm sure you will be cutting down on the lap times.
aluminum bat, borrowed my good gloves without me knowing, and a 5lb short hammer :( i'll take some pictures of the fender today.

so far from driving around town, it sticks like a magnet, no understeer at all, no matter how fast i've taken a corner. there is of course a limit to how fast i'll drive off the track, but still, corners at 65km/h without any hint of understeer is pretty impressive. i'm really looking forward to today :D
Quote:
Sounds like you're the perfect candidate to buy some ebay fender flares and test them out for us!
point me to an auction, and i'll see what i can do ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:57 pm 

pretty damn happy today, even with the buggered fender :D

came in 11th out of 32 cars, with the top 10 positions only having a 2 second gap between the guy in first and the guy in 10th. looking at the times after the day, i figured that without the tires(they say Rs are worth 2 seconds off your run), i'd have been 25th, so i'm pretty stoked :)

only things that need to be addressed are a fender bolt on the right side(the upper bolt on the passenger side fender), apparently it likes to rub under hard left-handers. sounds like the car is about to explode when it rubs too... god awful noise. needs new brake pads too, but i knew that already. also, new clutch, since i couldn't launch aggressively with the worn-out oldie that's in it. AND! better seats :S dear god do my arms hurt. i spent most of the lap with my left arm braced between the wheel and the door so that i didn't slide out of my seat, and the right arm just hurts from bracing myself with the wheel during left turns. i already have a set of harnesses to go in, but no harness bar, and before then i really do need to look at getting a seat with better side-bolstering.

still, car is fast as hell. sticks to the pavement, VERY little understeer at the limit, extremely predictable handling. someone was taking video, so if that turns up online, i'll link to it.

got a couple pictures here and there, but the girlfriend ran away with the camera, so i'll have to wait to put those up.

all in all though, EXTREMELY happy with how the car came out, all the work was well worth it, and i'm a fool for having bought that Volkswagen thinking the Summit couldn't cut it.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:32 pm 
CSM Junkie

You need one of these:

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:49 pm 
Some call me a god

Set up is the most difficult part of racing. Buying and installing the parts is simple compared to the trial and error it takes to get a car to truely perform to it's fullest. I hate the saying that R compound tires are worth "X" seconds. It is not linear. On some cars they will cut times more or less than others. AND which R compounds you run plays a huge part in it too. Keep tinkering with that car and it will keep improving.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:46 pm 

took the Summit to autocross today, was doing alright, but not great. figured i'd start downshifting to first in the 2 hairpins on the course, took a second and a half off my time, and was eager to take more off my time too.

halfway through the second last run, engine started to knock between 1500-2000rpm and it just got worse the faster i went :( ended that run in a hurry, just drove it right to the stop box, and parked it.

so i either broke a lifter, or killed a bearing. either way, i don't have spares for this, and don't really want to invest money into a motor i want to take out anyway, so i'm stuck with a dead/dying motor until i can save enough to do the swap.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:36 pm 
CSM Junkie

Damn man that sucks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:22 pm 

:) :huh:

Updates?!

Good Tidings,

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:54 pm 

so the story goes, i did SOMETHING to the motor about 4 months ago, everyone i talk to says i spun a bearing so that's just what i go with. since then, the engine has yet to actually pop. it's unhappy, to say the least, but it at least runs.

swapped the big wide 13s out for a smaller skinnier set of tires, which let me run the motor cleanly to 2K or a regular basis. makes it a lot smoother to drive back and forth to work than having to shift at 1.5K all the time.

oil consumption is a major issue now, or at least it was when it was running 10w30. it burned oil before, mostly due to burnt piston rings, but now, since i can't rev the motor up to burn the blow-by off and halfassedly reseat the rings, it just burns oil whenever it wants. i can get 10minutes of regular driving(shutting it off at stoplights, idling makes it smoke sooner), or 5 minutes of spirited driving before it starts to lay it's own smokescreen.

i've been topping up the engine with diesel oil as well. it's really helped with the smoking, and doubled my possible driving time(used to be smoking by the time i got to work, a 5minute drive away), but has made it very difficult for it to idle while cold. mind you, i can rev it up to almost 3k when cold now without it knocking at me.

so that's at least letting me get back and forth to work, and around town if i need to go somewhere.

on the REPAIR front, i've got the motor and ecu pulled from my old 2000GTX(woo DOHC 4G63NA), and have gotten parts from 89mirageman(mounts and an NA4G61 sedan engine harness, woo plug and play), and the original plan was to drop the motor in before the winter, and have some fun before the snow.

said plan did not work out as i'd hoped. now, it's changed to rebuild and do some work to the motor during winter, and maybe prep my other sedan for said engine to go into in the spring.

i have some other thoughts in my head about what i can do with the entire winter to plan and build, but for now, i'll keep quiet :p

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:19 pm 

:wtg:

Good to know your still in the game.
Your enthusiasm = good inspiration for the 1.5ers here -
Including but not limited to:
1. Attention to detail.
2. Autocross/Handling.
3. Proper 4g15 abuse... I mean use. 8)

Keep us posted!,

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:48 pm 

2 weeks till 4G63NA-powered Summit. i'm so impatient D: i want it done now dammit.

pictures later, as soon as i find my bloody camera.

also later, why my 4G15 still hasn't kicked the bucket.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 810 Next