4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 710 Next
 Post subject: Re: Devo's '92 Summit DL
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:33 am 

Chris, I can help you with the mounts, an adapter harness for a plug and play on the 4G63. I also have a handful of brand new elantra mounts if you haven't sourced one already.

http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25358

I think the 1.5 tranny will hold up to the NA 4G63's power. You will need a 1g dsm NA flywheel and clutch setup. I have a spare flywheel here too.

Also some elantras and expos have headers from the factory instead of cast manifolds. I'm sure the runners are smaller than aftermarket headers but it should be a cheap upgrade.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:50 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

sticky tires on BBS knock-offs :D

autocross starts in less than 2 weeks around here, so i figured i should start getting some of this ready.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:51 pm 
2nd Banana

Dude, lay off the Pepsi.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:59 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Fattest 13" tire I've ever seen, but then again F1 cars use 12"?

You should have tons of fun with those tires, just make sure the frame on the black Summit doesn't separate with all that newfound traction. :ANAL: :lol:

Oh wait, are you using the black car this season?

P.S. Funny thing my parents were in Sarnia just last week and my mother spotted a blue summit parked there. They asked the lady serving them who that belonged to and it was your girlfriend!
Small world no matter how far away we are sometimes. For anyone wondering, Devo's about 8-9 hours of driving from where my family and I live.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:12 am 

^^^^Tim, you have your parents looking for csm's when they go out of town? :P

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:45 pm 

Quote:
Oh wait, are you using the black car this season?

P.S. Funny thing my parents were in Sarnia just last week and my mother spotted a blue summit parked there. They asked the lady serving them who that belonged to and it was your girlfriend!
Small world no matter how far away we are sometimes. For anyone wondering, Devo's about 8-9 hours of driving from where my family and I live.
yes, i'm using the black sedan this year. engine is not very happy(urinating oil at an alarming rate), but it'll still go fast when i tell it to :p
lots of work going into it before the first event too, going to be very busy over the next week...

and i told shannon about your post, and she suddenly remembered it all(she has a REALLY bad memory), was surprised to find out it was your parents.
Quote:
^^^^Tim, you have your parents looking for csm's when they go out of town? :P
that's strange? my parents do the same :p "oh we saw one of your cars in such-and-such-a-place last week"

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:49 pm 

bwah!

fat tires :D

they're literally right even with the edge of the fender.
when i have all 4 done i'll take a picture of the gap between the fender and the wheel.....or lack thereof.
nothing but slow driving for me while around town. i swear if i sneeze, these things rub. might have to roll the fenders so i don't ruin these tires at a race event.

more pictures tomorrow, and a thread with pictures and information on swapping the car over to 4x100.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:53 pm 
The happy administrator

Those are the biggest tires I've ever seen on a 13" rim. :o

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:10 am 
CSM Junkie

any more details about the rear sway bar? is it csm specific or ware did you get the parts from?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:27 am 

rear sway bar was custom made by a local company. i took measurements and made some crappy drawings, took it in to the shop and he had it all done in about half a day. total cost was 75$ for the work, 25$ for the bushings, 5$ for the U-bolts, and 35$ for the endlinks.

i used energy suspension universal sway bar bushings, generic u-bolts from Fastenal, and cheap endlinks from Blox Racing. only thing i had to modify was drilling two holes to mount the end links on the trailing arms.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:27 am 
Some call me a god

how wide are those 13" rims?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:00 pm 

they're only 6.5", but they're a lower offset so they're pushed out a bit more.

i'm so close to finishing the front end, just waiting on a caliper and new rotors from the parts shop. got the passenger side spindle on today, looks good so far, going to need an alignment though. was all set to slap the spindle on the driver's side so that i was prepared when the parts came in tomorrow, and it started raining while i was at work :( fruit and banana weather.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:32 pm 

scratch that, it stopped raining for about an hour, and that let me finish putting the other spindle on.

so here's some pictures of what i've been up to, 4x114.3 swapped to 4x100 using bits from a 4G CSM.

comparison of the two spindles i'm swapping. stock is on the right.

and here's the finished product. well, sort of finished.
have to install the flex lines for the new calipers, and throw the new rotors on, but i can't do that till the rest of the parts come in.
the spindles are off the scrap 4G coupe that's sitting in my laneway.

with the steering wheel straight there's a decent amount of toe out, but nothing an alignment can't fix :D

the rears were stupid easy to install, did them when it was warm and sunny yesterday.
pulled the hub and drum off the coupe, pulled the drum off the sedan, slid the 4x100 hub onto the spindle, and slid the new drum onto that.
boom, finished. fit like a glove.

yes, i'm going to buy new drums(mmm rusty) and shoes later, but this works for now.

i'll make another post tomorrow night if i get everything else on and done. hopefully it all works out alright.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:10 pm 

I figured these parts would work on the 3g, to be honest I've been making rear disc kits for the 4g guys for a while using the larger 4 x 114.3 92 mirage sedan hubs.

I just started on a new 4g kit that allows you to reuse the stock 4 x 100 rear hubs, it should work on the 3g's too. Waiting on some spacers that I had fabbed up from a buddy that runs a machine shop.

Thanks for posting this up! Good to see people trying new stuff on these cars.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:30 pm 
CSM Junkie

man that sucks the 4g stuff is way cheaper that the gvr4 stuff I just bought well atleast this way I don't have to get new wheels

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 710 Next