4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 1016 Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:18 am 

wow that looks great man.... did u relocate the wiper water jug or are they stock in that location over there....(wish I had a rhd colt) :partyman:

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:27 am 
Some call me a god

I had to relocate it because it doesn't fit with the air filter in the way. I may relocate it to the other side of the radiator so I can fit my oil catch can where the water overflow bottle sits now.

So yeah, 4G63T is in! :D Big thanks to Pat from 4G61NZ for all the work he put in, and for opening up the workshop for us to do the swap. Few small obstacles but we managed to get the car to a state where I could drive it home on Sunday night. I'm officially in lurve with my car again :D the 4G63T is sooo damn torquey compared to the 1.6L. Theres not much lag at all with the Evo 3 16G, its just so much nicer to drive allround, can cruise up steep hills easy in 4th which I would've had to chop down to 3rd for before.

Unfortunately we struck loom problems, VR-4 looms don't plug right in, 99% of the plugs are correct, but the two dash plugs are different, and the black plug that connects up by the ECU is missing. So after pulling my crappy loom out, ended up putting it back in. It runs okayish, but i'm not too keen on thrashing it at the moment till I get a turbo Cyborg loom sorted (in fact I probably shouldn't be driving it, got no choice really). Just a little note for anyone planning to swap a loom in the future - the whole dash does NOT have to be removed :oops: :lol:

Anyway, heres a few pics of the swappage. The last few pics are of how the motor sits now, the intake manifold and rocker cover are polished, but look cloudy because we were caressing them with our oily hands :lol: I'll get around to cleaning them and will get a few more bits and pieces polished, and then take some better pics.

Last edited by snowdevl on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am 
2nd Banana

Lookin' good! You managed to find a way to make me even more jealous of you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:43 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:

Seriously!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:44 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:

Got some factory rice
Part number is MB726336 if anyone wants to know

Bummer! I called the Mitsubishi dealer with that number, but no dice.

Awesome rides BTW.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:56 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Quote:

Seriously!
:lol: Awesome

Coltsfan, do Mitsi dealerships in the US have any business at all with Mitsubishi Japan? If so, they should be able to get the decal in for you, Mitsubishi NZ ordered mine ex-Japan.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:25 pm 
4g61t Delinquent

they can but most dealerships in the US are to dumb to know what to do. They HAVE to call importing/exporting department at corporate and order it.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:31 am 
Some call me a god

Just swapped the new turbo loom in. Had some help with the semi-deloom job from my mate Matt who owns a GT30 VR-4 powered C83A, i'll see if I can get you guys some pics of his engine bay, its one of the tidiest i've ever seen in a Borg.

Anyway mines looking a lot better too, no more wiring on the upper firewall, no more L shaped black thing on the intake manifold, even relocated the throttle cable. Had a few hiccups of course the CAS wiring was different, had the right CAS but my car had a female plug on the CAS side, and my new loom had a female plug on the loom side, so we cut the male plug off the old loom and wired it up. Then the black plug that connects by the ECU was completely different, and had an extra wire which i'd say is for the turbo light, changed that plug over, all looked good. After a few issues with it not cranking because of a bad earth, it fired up :twisted:

OK..... issues!

The throttle body I just put on is physically longer than the one I was using before, which means the bit that the throttle cable connects to is slightly further along... I think. No matter where I put the cable adjustment bracket thing (technical term), its either constantly holding the throttle slightly open, or if I move it along, theres way too much slack and the throttle won't open 100%. Anyone come across this problem yet? I turned it upside down and managed to bolt it down, it seems to work but it's a bit of a dodgy temporary solution... i'll sort it eventually.

Now for the fun part :roll: I hate wiring and electrical stuff at the best of times, so this is really putting the shits up me. First off, it appeared my RPM wasn't working, not a major I thought... but then after idling the car for about 10min, it became apparent that my temp gauge wasn't working either. "Bugger, oh well, i'll take it for a drive anyway".... half an hour later, I noticed my fuel gauge hadn't moved at all. Then it started raining, and whaddya know, my wipers don't farken work! :lol:

Do you guys think i'm right in assuming the little black plug by the ECU is the cause of these issues? I've tried swapping a couple of the wires around lol, nothing changed.

Anyway heres some pics. For reference, first is a pic of what the standard wiring looks like. Couldn't find any good recent pics of my firewall and all the crap in front of the intake manifold, so this will have to do -

Heres what it looks like now -

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:00 pm 
CSM Junkie

Sounds to me like you missed a plug under the dash somewhere. Or the plug to the column.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:00 am 
Some call me a god

Not quite. I've got a thread about the problem here :)
http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29091

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:26 am 
CSM Junkie

Yeah I noticed it after I posted.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:19 pm 
Some call me a god

Took the car to the drags today. First run of the day was a 13.85 @ 167kph which I was stoked with. Then a 14.0, a 14.4 with a missed 3rd, and then backed up my first time with a 13.95 @ 156kph. Then things went downhill.... gearbox wasn't shifting right during the last run, and it slightly overheated on the return road. Gave it a half hour rest and went again, running a personal worst of 19.68 :lol: it overheated again on the return road, it seemed the fan wasn't turning on, I decided I wanted to do one more 'all or nothing' run to end on a (hopefully) good note. We rigged up a switch to turn the fan permanently on, and I took it out once more, running a personal best of 13.78 @ 165kph (102.5mph) :D The temp started creeping up on the return road again, I should've shut it off on the spot, but I decided to carry on thru to the pits, stupid idea cos by the time I got there the temp was almost in the red zone. Shut it off asap and let it cool down, before refilling the rad and overflow with water (lost half a litre of coolant) and then called it a day.

It seemed to drive alright on the way home, didn't overheat, but now I have a check engine light :lol: :roll: and something just doesn't feeeeel right. Oh well, i'm just happy to join the 13 second club :D

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:10 am 
Some call me a god

Ok now i'm worried. Just tried to start the car, it dies straight away. If I hold my foot on the gas it barely runs, but sounds like a tractor. And when it dies off, the check engine light and oil light stay on (is that normal, i can't remember?). Keep in mind it drove perfect all the way home (bout an hours drive), no smoke or anything, apart from the check engine light coming on and about 5min from home i thought i noticed a slight miss, but other than that it was fine. wtf!!

Headgasket maybe? :cry:

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:58 pm 
CSM Junkie

get the error code out of the ecu,

just use a multimeter that has a buzzer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:23 pm 
Some call me a god

Wow, been a while since I updated this.

Ok here goes...

After my last update a few posts up, cambelt had jumped a couple of teeth, decided to pull the car off the road for a month or so to fix it up. However, while it was off the road, rather than fixing, I decided to do some upgrading. Not surprisingly, it ended up being off the road for 8 months :lol: a handful of decent mods done in the meantime -

AFCO Scirocco radiator

New turbo. b16G core, Grand National wheel, MSE TD06 compressor cover, Evo 7cm exhaust side

Points right at the engine mount, how convenient :lol:
Locator pin had been removed luckily so it was a breeze to rotate

Some other bits

Whack it all together, tadaa!

Wasn't happy with how the turbo was performing. The car hauled arse, but had pretty bad problems with surge during low rpm/high load conditions. Sooo, the car ended up off the road again while I pulled the turbo off.

But, same old dsm'er type attitude, ended up going a bit overboard with the upgrades...

New 4" anti-surge compressor cover, should hopefully eliminate the problem

New oil cooler fittings for braided lines

Exhaust manifold and o2 housing coated in HPC HiPerCoat Extreme (thermal barrier coating)

Candy red powdercoated valve cover

And bought a whole bunch of new gaskets/nuts/bolts/banjos/washers etc etc from my local dealership, thought I might as well replace the whole lot so I don't have to have this turbo off again for some stupid reason anytime in the new future.

Couple of pics of it as it sits. Hoping to have it running sometime this week or next. Can't wait!

Turbo setup all reinstalled. New valve cover just sitting on the old one, have not fitted it yet

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 1016 Next