4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Back in the game
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:34 pm 

Back in the game... RIP old Mitsubishi Mirage May-05... hello Dodge Colt (de-badged) August-06

I thought I had given up the dream a year ago when I got taken out by a red light running, no insurance, Silverado 1500 but I couldn't shake the bug. I find myself browsing looking at whatever c50's are on the market, in the junkyard, or otherwise to keep myself from being too heartbroken and depressed over having to drive the family Caravan...

After a few fun twisties in the Caravan I found myself missing the Mirage even more... I even beat a Mustang once :wink:

Anyhow my parents are predisposed to tripping out on me and started restricting my access to the van for no reason... and thus... BOOM bought a Dodge Colt for myself for 750 bux.

It's daunting to think of all the work I'm going to have to put into it but the body is completely straight, no frame damage, 184k miles on the 4g15 12v and 5 spd... shocks are shot, springs have sprung, a new paint job needed, and a new clutch goes in tomorrow morning... but honestly I haven't had as much FUN muscling the manual steering in parking lots and finessing a finicky clutch that's been ground to bits... needless to say I'm lovin it and I'm glad to be endorsing my own pipe dreams :P joyyy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:36 pm 
The happy administrator

Sounds exactly like what I did except mine was $50 less and is a 4spd. I didn't buy mine because I needed a car though. Pictures?

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:51 pm 

I'll get the pictures in as soon as I can... it's not a looker atm though.

When I drove it the first time the shift knob only had 4 gears on it but I was going on the freeway at about 70 at a pretty high rpm (no tachometer) so I shifted into the non-existent 5th gear and there it was. I don't think the previous owner even really knew it was a 5 speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:16 am 
Quote:
When I drove it the first time the shift knob only had 4 gears on it but I was going on the freeway at about 70 at a pretty high rpm (no tachometer) so I shifted into the non-existent 5th gear and there it was. I don't think the previous owner even really knew it was a 5 speed.
:D

-bit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:48 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Sounds like its time for a 4g63 swap. Cant beat the price you got it for. Swap it up and youll have a fun car for very cheap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:28 pm 

I just replaced the plugs with iridium along with the wires for some 'premium' wires (does that even really make a diff on a 1.5 liter 12v?) but either way methinks I have to adjust the timing a bit, there's a little bit of a knock/ping :-? and the hissing sound of compression loss. I might just run this engine into the ground before I swap... and for the meantime I'll gather together the wiring, and the mounts, and maybe some money to actually afford the swap