4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:22 am 
2nd Banana

Hey all. Name's Tony. I've been on the board for a month or so, and let me just say that this board is awesome. I've always been a CSM fanatic, and I'm trying to get a CSM project of my own going. Until then I have to live vicariously through friend's cars and such, but I've been into DSM's for 7 years or so, and thought I'd share some pics and info of my baby.

The car is a 1991 Eclipse GSX. I bought it in August '03 for $1,500. It had 151,000 miles on the clock and needed some serious TLC. The motor had bad compression, but I still managed to drive it for 30,000 miles before it finally gave in on me. Anyway, here's the mod-list:

Engine Mods
Built 2.0 4G63
8.5:1 JE pistons
Eagle Rods
Removed Balance Shafts
ARP hardware
Mitsu 4-layer metal head gasket
Prothane Urethane Motor Mount Inserts
5-angle valve job
HKS 272/272 Cams
Otherwise totally stock head

Turbo/Exhaust/Intake
PTE SCM6132E (56-trim compressor, 76-trim Stage 5 T3 turbine wheel)
Ported 2g Manifold
TiAL 35mm external wastegate
HRC 3" SS 02 Eliminator Downpipe
SS 3" Test-Pipe
ATR SS 3" Cat-Back
NSFab 3" Aluminum Intake Pipe
Spearco 2-216 "Race Core" FMIC
NSFab 2.5" Aluminum Intercooler Piping
Greddy Type-S BOV

Fuel & Management
Siemen/Deka 890cc Injectors
Walbro 255HP Fuel Pump (re-wired)
Aeromotive Adj. FPR (43psi base)
ECU+ Piggyback Engine Management System
3" GM MAF (blow-thru)
Zeitronix ZT-2 Wideband A/F Ratio Meter w/ Boost and EGT gauges
NSFab EPROM ECU Modifications

Suspension/Drivetrain/Brakes
KYB ABX Struts
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
Suspension Techniques 1" Rear Sway Bar
Energy Suspension Urethane Bushings
ACT 2900lb Clutch Kit
Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel
Forced Performance Flywheel Hardware Kit
4-Bolt LSD Rear End
'94 Dual Piston AWD Calipers
CHP Slotted "big" Brake Rotors (front only)
Axxis Ultimate Ceramic Pads (front only)

Interior/Exterior/Misc Mods
Symborski Metal Bushing Shifter Kit
OEM Heavy Leather Shift Knob
Defi Oil Pressure Gauge
No-Name Carbon-Fiber Hood
Carbontrix 18x10" Carbon-Fiber Vent
RRE Custom Headlight Vent
'94 Eclipse German Taillights
16x7.5" Kosei K1 Rims (Gunmetal)
225/50ZR16" Dunlop SP8000

There are probably a few things I'm forgetting, but I'm sure you guys get the jist of it. Here are some of the most recent pics I've taken of the car:

My best time in the 1/4-mile was 12.2 @ 116mph. This was done on the stock motor and a TD05 20g. 720cc Injectors, 2g MAF, and a small 18x6" Griffin Top-to-Bottom FMIC. The motor was blown, had 60% leakdown in the #2 cylinder and not much better compression in any of the other cylinders. This was done on C-16 fuel and crappy tuning with boost spiking to 26psi and falling off to 24psi by redline. I haven't ran the car 1/4-mile yet with this setup, but I'm hoping for some pretty good times.

As far as future mods are concerned, I'm DYING for a Built Tranny, AEM EMS, Larger Injectors, Sheet-Metal Intake Manifold, 75mm Throttle Body, 3" Upper IC pipe, TiAL BOV, Tubular Exhaust Manifold, and a TiAL 44mm External Wastegate.

Thanks for the space guys, I hope you like.

~Tony

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:33 am 

Very nice...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:09 pm 
Seasoned Member

that paint is just too nice man.

you gotta have some ballz to run a valve cover that color, but still soooooo clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:02 pm 
Some call me a god

Nice awd, I need to get mine finished up :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:16 pm 
Some call me a god

I haven't seen that color Talon in a while, awesome. I love the wheels, and love the stock appearing muffler even more. Car should get down with 30psi, any idea what kinda power you are looking for there? 475whp? Really sweet valve cover, just gorgeous looking. Let us know how the car runs whenever you get her to the track. Good list of future upgrades too, though I ask why the 75mm TB? 60mm has been proven to lose zero power all the way up to 700whp, do to the venturi effect created by the necked down TB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:49 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
that paint is just too nice man.

you gotta have some ballz to run a valve cover that color, but still soooooo clean.
You mean the paint on the car, or the paint on the valve cover? Hehe. The paint on the car really isn't THAT good. My car is the textbook definition of "good from far, but far from good." I do what I can to keep it looking nice, but the Uber madcore UV Rays of Southern California have taken their toll on this quality Mitsu 15 year-old clearcoat. :cry:

As far as the valve cover goes, it's actually some special plastic coating (not powercoating), but similar. Oil doesn't stick to it or anything, so if It gets dirty all I have to do is wipe it off and it looks as good as new. It looks so nice in these pics because they were taken the day after I installed it, hehe.

Quote:
I haven't seen that color Talon in a while, awesome. I love the wheels, and love the stock appearing muffler even more. Car should get down with 30psi, any idea what kinda power you are looking for there? 475whp? Really sweet valve cover, just gorgeous looking. Let us know how the car runs whenever you get her to the track. Good list of future upgrades too, though I ask why the 75mm TB? 60mm has been proven to lose zero power all the way up to 700whp, do to the venturi effect created by the necked down TB.
This is a pretty rare color. There were two shades of Blue offered in '91, and this is the darker of the two. I heard a rumor that this color was never even sold in California and some other states. The car was originally purchased in Louisiana.

At 21psi on 91 octane the car feels strong, but not scary strong by any means. I'm maxing the sh*t out of my 890's on this dishwater gasoline, but I can't wait to try race gas. My piggyback has some limitations that I'm trying to work out, paticularly in how it deals with the airflow signal, but hopefully if I lean it out enough on race gas it won't be an issue.

I hadn't realized that the stock TB can support so much power. Bascially my reasoning for wanting to go 75mm was so everything would be uniform. 3" UICP, 3" Throttle Body, and a nice SMIM. I'm weary about hte 75mm TB's though because of all the people snapping the shafts on them, but who knows, it's all further down the road. I REALLY wanna pick up a Colt and do the swap on that for a funnnn daily driver, we'll see. I'll definitely keep you guys posted on my times and the progress of the car though. Thanks for all the nice comments! You guys rock! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:10 am 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
do to the venturi effect created by the necked down TB.
I would like to argue that. Intelligently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:12 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
I hadn't realized that the stock TB can support so much power. Bascially my reasoning for wanting to go 75mm was so everything would be uniform. 3" UICP, 3" Throttle Body, and a nice SMIM. I'm weary about hte 75mm TB's though because of all the people snapping the shafts on them, but who knows, it's all further down the road. I REALLY wanna pick up a Colt and do the swap on that for a funnnn daily driver, we'll see. I'll definitely keep you guys posted on my times and the progress of the car though. Thanks for all the nice comments! You guys rock! :D
You'll definitely be happy if you stay away from the 75mm due to the simple fact of what you said, that they like to break. Though DV/DT fab does make an upgraded shaft for the 75mm TBs. Point in case, two cars, both running 2.4s with identical pt67s, and AEMs tuned by Brad. One running a 75mm TB, the other running a 60mm non-turbo TB. 75mm TB car made 657, 60mm TB made 672, though he was running 2 more pounds of boost. He now makes 791whp uncorrected with a 2.0 on that same pt67 and a direct port 100 shot on the 60mm TB. The 60mm throttlebody with the 3" intercooler piping makes a great little venturi to speed the charge up coming into the intake manifold, think of it as your custom velocity stack :lol: Keep up the awesome job on your car!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:23 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
You'll definitely be happy if you stay away from the 75mm due to the simple fact of what you said, that they like to break. Though DV/DT fab does make an upgraded shaft for the 75mm TBs. Point in case, two cars, both running 2.4s with identical pt67s, and AEMs tuned by Brad. One running a 75mm TB, the other running a 60mm non-turbo TB. 75mm TB car made 657, 60mm TB made 672, though he was running 2 more pounds of boost. He now makes 791whp uncorrected with a 2.0 on that same pt67 and a direct port 100 shot on the 60mm TB. The 60mm throttlebody with the 3" intercooler piping makes a great little venturi to speed the charge up coming into the intake manifold, think of it as your custom velocity stack :lol: Keep up the awesome job on your car!
Wow, those numbers make your argument pretty convincing. Good info for sure. It's funny you brought up DV/DT, i'm actually very good friends with Albert, the guy that runs DV/DT...well, the sole proprietor really. We grew up together in Illinois, but then I moved out to So-Cal. His upgraded shaft really seems to do the trick though.