4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:53 am 
Restricted Newbie

Hey All!

Just wanted to say HI and I want to introduce myself! My name is Ray, I've worked on DSMs for the last 9 years now! I've owned/bought/sold/modified/raced - 20 different DSMs/Galants and now CSMs! What can I say??? I'm addicted! I guess working for a Mitsubishi Racing Company will do that to you!!

Well, I just got my hands on a couple of these rare cars! 3 months ago, I picked up a silver 89 Colt GT w/ 218K on the chassis and engine. It hasn't ran for the last 3 years, but it ran when it was parked. (still parked waiting for a 4G63) 2 days ago, I drove by the local junk yard, and saw an 89 Mirage Turbo sitting in front! I inquired about it, turns out they just got it in and was about to get crushed! Knowing what it was, I had to buy it!! It runs, and the engine/chassis have 124K on it, however, it has a snapped axle and a bad tranny! Both cars are in pretty shotty inside! Seets are torn, carpets are shot, etc... On the bright side, the bodies on both cars are pretty straight with no major damage! Just a few dents and dings but the paint is shot on both of them.

Regardless, I now own two of these freakin things! And neither of them drive! LOL I just need to find some time to get them together. Anyway, I picked these up so I could build a Daily Driver for myself! I wanted to keep the miles off my Eclipse. http://www.dsmtuner.com/forums/member.php?u=24562

If you guys don't mind, does anyone have any links to a detailed and comprehensive post or thread concerning the 4G63 swap and the parts required? I've been doing some hunting and "searching" on your old posts and have found bits and pieces of information; but there seems to be a lot of redundancy and mismatching information. To add to it; It take "FOREVER" to read through all the results to find pertinent information. Is there an "in depth" list/guide to the parts required to do the swap? What years and such are most adventageous to use? Any information would be most appreciated! I'm tired of reading useless threads that don't apply to my sitution.

Thanks for the space! I look forward to reading and posting on your Forum! I have a lot to learn about the 4G63 conversion....

Ray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:50 am 
Some call me a god

Just to generalize it, find a 90 motor and corresponding ECU and the motor will drop right in to the stock motor mounts. The wiring harness is pretty much the same in the turbo colt/mirage as it is for the 90 dsm 4g63 so its just drop in the motor and plug in the connectors. There are a few things I would do before hand as upgrades in case I decide to make real power with the car but if you just want it as a daily driver then I would keep it close to stock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:46 am 
Restricted Newbie

Thanks for the reply-

So.... you say that the wiring harness is "basically" the same? What are the differences? Do I have to switch some of the pins around; or am I better off putting in the DSM harness? If I put that one in, will it directly plug into the "vehicle harness"??? I just parted out a 90 FWD DSM. I have the engine, wiring harness, coil pack, sensors and soleniods, throttle body, MAF, Computer, Injectors, Resistor Pack, Transistor, ETC.... "everything" from the car. Do you know in specific, what has to be done in terms of sensors, wiring, vacuum... etc? What parts interchange between CSM adn DSM for the conversion? Sorry to be a "newb" when it comes to turbo CSMs. I know DSMs and can make this Mirage once the conversion is done. My biggest barrier is to figure out what to do.... Does anyone have an itemized list or set of procedures to complete the swap?

I would like to make this a daily driver that "hauls ass!" These are the parts that I have laying around in my garage at my disposal. What are your experiences with them? I'm considering bolting up some DSM parts on the 1.6 while I build a 4G63 for the car.

-90 TMO ECU
-91 ECU
-92 ECU
-T25
-14G
-16G w/ 6cm or 7cm housings
-PTE 50 Trim
-95 Manifold + O2 housing
-Jun Cam Gears
-HKS Valve springs
-ACT 2100
-DSM Side Intercooler + piping
-RRE "J and L" tube lower pipe.
-Web Cams or stock DSM Cams
-680cc Injectors
-AFC II
-NOS Single or Direct port setup
-2G O2 Eliminator Downpipe
-FWD DSM Tranny + flywheel and backing plate
-Front Hubs/ Rear Axle: to do a 5 lug conversion
-98 GSX Big Brakes
-16x8 3000 GT wheels
-15x6 GVR-4 Wheels
-17x7 Konig tuners
-17x8 Konig Villains
-18x7.5 Falken ...?
-2G 5 star 16's
-Walbro 255

Thanks again guys! If anyone has any suggestions, or can point out any detailed "threads" it would be much appreciated! I want to get this thing going!! I really don't care what I put into it in terms of parts. Being such a light car it has to get better gas mileage than my GSX!!

-Ray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:59 am 
The Silent Administrator

www.lilevo.com and the entire archive section located here Archive Sections
Helluva'n intro, glad to meet your acquaintance! Let us know if you need more info in regards to your questions, I think most if not all of what you require is located in the links I posted above.

Last edited by Flying Eagle on Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:55 am 
Some call me a god

Just transfer over those parts from the 90 fwd turbo that u parted, shouldn't be no problem. Use all corresponding 1g stuff such as Maf, injectors, ECU, exh+intake manifold...all the vacuum stuff are the same and also the coolant stuff are the same also. Goodluck and welcome to the forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:30 am 
Restricted Newbie

Hey guys!! Thanks for all the replies! I'll get one running soon! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:13 pm 
Restricted Newbie

HAHA!!! Success!! The mirage is up and running! Turned out that the bearing race for the outer joint on the passenger side axle was snapped! Woohoo! I have a running 1.6 turbo mirage with 124, 879 mi for $575!!

Now for a smog.... untill next week!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:44 pm 
Restricted Newbie

You lucky bastard, where did you find one for that price? Post some pix. plz :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:20 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
You lucky bastard, where did you find one for that price? Post some pix. plz :lol:
Parked in front of a junk yard! The car was just towed in two hours prior to me seeing it! It was to have its motor removed... then crushed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:46 pm 
Nobody Important

Don't forget to stuff a valid location in your profile so we can go to the same junkyards you do! ;)

Welcome to the money pits... errrr, turbo CSMs (graned you were already a DSM head so you are well aware of the love they need)

-paul