4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: North Bay area CSM/DSM
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:27 am 
Restricted Newbie

Hey all, looking for fellow Ontario CSM DSM people.

I currently race a Hyundai SCoupe with the 4G15. (ice racing check it out at http://www.casc.on.ca )

I have a clean 92 SCoupe body ready for a 4G63 upgrade for a new race car although research led me to this forum and I also have a 1990 Colt body so I'm looking for advice as to which would be the smoother swap. Any thoughts....? (The SCoupe is a little lighter but the Colt is currently an automatic).

I also have a 1992 (pre April) 1gb Talon TSi AWD. Also 1990 Mitsu Eclipse GS and a 1990 Eagle 2000 GTX (4G63 SOHC).

Always looking for parts, or maybe I have what you are looking for?

Hyguy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:05 am 
The Silent Administrator

I have alot of pieces lying around that would be very useful for you to swap over if you decide on the Scoupe swap. I have a ton of leftover bits from a 93 Elantra we parted at one of our site meets. I think the Scoupe would be a quicker swap from a mechanical point of view, but you have to have the manual for the wiring colors. I believe evotistical may have posted those up, but if not, check out the FSM's we have archived here:
www.lilevo.com/mirage/ If you have a Scoupe VIN and we don't have a Scoupe manual I can get access to download the online PDF, or you could given the proper linking.

Swapping an automatic will be a pain due to having to swap out the entire pedal assembly, but otherwise the car is exactly the same minus firewall cuts for the slave/master clutch cylinder.

It's you preference due to being nearly identical setups minus the rear trailing arm suspensions, Scoupe is a trailing arm and spring wedge setup, and the Colt has a similar solid rear axle but uses struts in place of the sandwiched Springs. Both are easy to swap out if needed for height changes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:38 pm 
Restricted Newbie

I have been leaning towards the SCoupe, because of the auto trans swapout and because the Colt's rear susp. The weight difference is another factor. I have a lot more experience with setting up the SCoupe.

Anyway, I have been trying to gather the pieces together and a 92-95 elantra seems to be key to the SCoupe swap. Haven't been able to find one yet so I am very interested in what you have.

Here is my recipe so far;

I intend to pick up a 4g63 NT from a JDM source.
92 SCoupe LS (or 90 Colt) body
5 spd trans. from 4g63t from 90 Mitsu. GS (and flywheel although I may look for an aftermarket lightened flywheel)
I have an ECU for an NT motor but no harness

I also have these extra bits;

several boxes of parts left from a 1g laser NT/turbo conversion
and the remains of 90 Mitsu Eclipse GS which suffered a fire (engine and trans OK minus most plastic and rubber bits)
Oh and an Eagle 2000 GTX auto.

If I thought I would have the extra time, I could restore the 4g63t from the Eclipse and run with no turbo but I think this just complicates the project. Maybe later!

Anyway, I would like to talk a deal on the elantra pieces, tell me more.

Hyguy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:57 am 
The Silent Administrator

I'll take this to PM's so we don't clutter up the regional thread area. I'll drop all the details there.