4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: WTB: 14b or 16g turbo
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:16 am 

Hello all,

I am trying to locate (preferably local) a 14b or 16g turbo for my '89 Mirage Turbo. I am not trying to spend a ton of money on the car at this time but would like to boost the power a bit. I have called multiple shops around me as well as checked junk yards and have gotten no where. The turbo MUST be in good condition as i do not want to have to have it rebuilt (as in little to no shaft play).

Thank you

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:06 am 
The Silent Administrator

What turbo/exhaust manifold are on the engine right now? 14/16 are 4 bolt versus original using a 3 bolt manifold and different shape. Just making sure you are starting out on the right foot.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:51 pm 

Engine is 100% stock 4G61T except it has a 3" turbo back exhaust. Cant the 14b and 16G just bolt right on to the stock manifold?

I am only trying to get my mirage up to like 175-200hp until i pay off my student loans. So i am looking into doing simple bolt on mods until that point to get to the power I want. If you have other ideas please share. But know I do not want to dump a lot of money into it right now. I want it to still be reliable as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:42 pm 
The Silent Administrator

I'm almost 100% positive there was a bolt pattern difference going from the small turbos to the 14b+, as I have never seen a small turbo in real life. If this is the case, you will need to install a 1G or 2G exhaust manifold. 1g is direct bolt up (including re-using the studs in the head - which should be replaced anyways and checked for sealant on the stud going into oil/water jacket (been while so hazy recollection), but installing longer studs and working around the engine pull bracket (aka removal), you go with a 2G manifold. 2g outlet ported will equal the EvoIII outlet size at the collector and some sell a ported manifold that way claiming EVOIII status.

So, how much are you willing to spend? The oil lines are different too, as are the coolant lines to the center section.

I suggest keeping what you have and then buying what you needonce the whole amount comes up. Student loans have interest, yeah? So, save some money in the long run?

I'm all for mods but it's a process and your exhaust will have to reworked too if things don't line up anymore. Hope this helps put into perspective, just where you would be headed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:31 pm 

I completely agree with the wait until I have all the finances lined up to get everything done at once. And yes my students loans have interest....too much interest. Lol. What mods can I do to get more power without spending too much money (couple hundred)? How much power would I get if I got a 2g side mount and did the custom piping myself as well as got a 1g BOV and recirculated it so I didn't need to get a GM maf? I want more power! Lol I am really just wanting like 20-40hp gain right now. You know something noticeable

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:39 am 
CSM Junkie

on a stock 4g61 the 14b and 16g will not work well. and the turbo is not bolt in. the exhaust manifold, 02 housing and downpipe flange will all need to be changed. as well as water line and oil line differences. the turbo you want is from a/t cars, 13b or 13t. its nice turbo that bolts in and can support 250whp. the 13t is bigger than 13b and flows as much as 14b but has the more responsive td04h hotside. 14b and 16g have td05h hotsides. 16g would be huge mistake. wont spool till like 5000 rpm.

the stock 4g61t is like 100whp stock. with exhaust only its maybe is 120whp. didnt even have an intercooler. to even make the a/t turbo work well you need more upgrades than just turbo. you need intercooler setup, 550 injectors 2g maf and an afc to control them. those simple mods would get you to 200-250whp range.

pm me if interested. I have a nice 13t turbo and some of the parts you would need .

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:16 pm 

Another reason why I love this forum. Most would just sell him what he wanted to get it out of their way or to make a few bucks. But members here give a crap and explain to you why what you're looking for really isn't all you need.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:11 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

A previous owner of my 4g61t swapped everything needed from a 1G DSM; smic with pipes, ecu, 450 injectors, exhaust manifold/14b, MAS. Car was very fun to drive, trapped 110 MPH in the 1/4 mile on racing gas with no tune.