4g61t.org
http://4g61t.org/forum/

Wheatleys AWD
http://4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=41139
Page 4 of 4

Author:  slowdsm [ Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Wheatleys AWD

HOLY CRAP man u are going all out on this thing.. keep up the great work.


Steve

Author:  Wheatley [ Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Wheatleys AWD

Thanks Steve.


Very sporadic work over the last 7 weeks. I was able to get the front end bent up and so far have the rails and upper supports fully welded along with a ton of brackets for things like fuel cell, radiator, catch can, and water pump. A couple weeks ago I bent up the u bar and tacked it in place, late last night I was able to knock out the fmic mounts and the north south bar with front roll stop. This was all a first for me, from bending and notching to welding off a bench. The overall goal was to keep it from getting overly cluttered and allow everything to unbolt to get the engine and transmission out easier.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Author:  Flying Eagle [ Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Wheatleys AWD

Great progress.

It’s amazing to see you go head first and first try and get where you are with those bends and adapting components around them.

It’s not easy notching and bending. Hell, I don’t even want to cut a notched hole for a BOV dump into my intake pipe. I actually looked for a 3” silicone coupler with a 1-1/4” bung in the middle. I can feel your pain.

It’s very nice to have builds documented here, and on this level. We’ve seen a few fast ones but documenting them is tough.

Author:  Wheatley [ Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Wheatleys AWD

I agree, I like to document to be able to pull things up later down the road that I will likely forget and it allows a visual of clearances and ideas for others that might be thinking of doing something similar.

For the bov I like to start the hole and get it close with a large step bit or a hole saw and then weld the flange on, once the flange is on I finish opening the hole up with a carbide bit and walk it in towards the flange.

After months of trying to fit everything I finally gave in and decided it was best to fit everything in a way that allowed easy service and wherever the body ended up was a problem to solve at a later date. It looks like the front bumper will have to be moved forward about 1.5" and will need a 4" lip, very pleased with only needing that much additional space.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Author:  Wheatley [ Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Wheatleys AWD

The upper pipe looked like it was going to be really close to the trans cooler fittings on the transmission. Once the fittings arrived it was confirmed they would make contact. It was a pretty easy change to orient the pipes differently and add a small straight section to correct the fitment issues. Its much closer to the brake master and swirl pot but everything appears to be in place. I was also able to mock up the hot side before leaving for vacation.

Image

Page 4 of 4 All times are UTC-05:00
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
https://www.phpbb.com/