4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Post subject: Re: Wheatleys AWD
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:12 am 
CSM Junkie

I know what busy life is like, man I'm impressed I hope you can keep this up and finish the build, your off to such a pro start!!

Keane

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:50 pm 

Quote:
I’ve said it once, and I’ll say it again, I’m so glad you picked this up from me so you could bring it back to life.
Me too! I'm really glad someone didn't just finish the few things that were left and start driving it. Lots of missing hardware in important places.

White Colt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:54 pm 

Quote:
I know what busy life is like, man I'm impressed I hope you can keep this up and finish the build, your off to such a pro start!!
Thank you, I've "finished" a few other builds so I'm pretty good about finishing the ones I'm passionate about. Current time
frame is honestly going to be about two years at this rate.

White Colt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:44 am 

Big week for the Colt, parts are starting to roll in so the awd swap can start to take shape. There was a slight change of plans but its for the better, the car will be getting a 3kgt rear diff and in the coming months I will share whats involved with that since its pretty simple but there is some misinformation out there. I decided to pick up a trick billet cam sensor housing from FTY Scott Glassbrook. He made a small run of them and I like to support the guys who are still making parts for our market plus who doesn't like a little billet. Tires also came in, I'm going to try and stuff some 26x8.5s under the car and will share what body modifications that take place to make them look decent. Lastly, sneak peak at the rear crossmember I had made for the car, I love making stuff myself but I just don't have room in my garage to operate a bender, this piece came out amazing so I have no regrets sending some hard earned dollars to Bruce Williams in NC. It should drop 30lbs over a stock crossmember, allows a 3kgt rear diff and it should make doing the awd swap by myself easier with the whole thing being one piece and not having the extra weight of the diff in place to get it under the car.

White Colt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:30 pm 

Very nice as usual, what part of NC?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:31 am 

I believe he's in Wilmington.

White Colt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:56 am 

Busy weekend which half I forgot to take pics of.

Getting the car ready to set on the ground to turn around to begin the rear end work was my main priority which meant the front suspension needed to be at least to mockup point to set ride height and work on tire fitment.

26x8.5 MT on the 15x7 +40 rotas. These wheels are a bit narrow but are a good starting point given the price point.

Whats not pictured to make this all come together is the typical elantra lower control arms, expo knuckles and dsm hubs. Aaron was nice enough to let me use his press last weekend to get all new bearings, seals and extended studs installed.

Two members on this board shared spring rates with me, neither are all that close to each other and both seem to work well enough. Being that both aren't that similar I decided to start from scratch and scale the car with a set of known spring rates and go from there. I picked up a set of double collar ebay coilovers. The sleeves were about .050 too small to fit the gr2 that came on the front of the colt when I bought it so I found an old pos engine hone and chucked everything in my drill press.

Since the ebay setup is an unknown I set out to figure the spring rates. I've heard of this method before but had never done it myself, with some youtube help it was a pretty quick deal. I've heard many people say the ebay stuff is about 600lb spring rates and these came out to 568, close enough for me to start with even though they are WAY too stiff.

Clearance cut and they are ready to go in the car for test fit before repainting.

This happened by accident but I think its a slight monetary setback with a huge step forward in strength. There isn't a ton of great info out there as to what it takes to make this work but since the subframe was accidentally made for a 3kgt rear diff instead of a 4 bolt diff it just had to be figured out in a quick manner. Jake Montgomery reached out to me stating that all that was needed was a stock 3kgt bar upgrade with 1g dsm dimensions and the 3kgt cups, there was some info out there stating the stub shafts in the trailing arms would need to be changed to 3kgt but he stated they were the same. It makes sense being the bearings are able to be cross referenced as the same but its nice to have confirmation from someone running the setup. I am still waiting on the cups to arrive but it shouldn't be long before the awd swap begins to take shape. The auto cars need the 6spd 94-99 rear diffs and the 5spd cars run the early 5 spd diffs.

This thing is stout, it appears has a little more backlash than what I think is within spec so I will be tearing it down for a refresh.

I still have a ton of parts on order and I have what I feel will be a unique rear shock mounting solution that I look forward to sharing.

White Colt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:24 am 

The engine bay is finally starting to come together, mock up is one of my favorite parts of a build. The small engine bay of these cars has made it a challenge to fit everything up front and keep it clutter free appearing like I like while still being able to quickly work on everything during a race.

I finished the trailing arms the other day. Arp studs, removed the spine and welded up the two halves to clear slicks, welded in a Jay Racing toe eliminator, new seals and bearings and also fit a set of 3kgt cups onto the dsm hubs.

these were the best of the two sets I have, the lower control arms fought me to no end.

White Colt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:28 am 

Removed the floor and test fit the subframe on Sunday.

White Colt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:46 am 

I didn't realize its been almost three weeks since I've worked on the car. Yoshifab front camber plates finally arrived and spent sunday making the last push towards completing the awd subframe fabrication work. I just have two holes left to drill and do the final string squaring of everything in the rear before tacking the rear boxes in.

White Colt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:15 pm 

damn dude that looks amazing... great work. those arco bars and end pieces.. were they very pricey? do they feel strong? was thinking of using them for custom rearend mounts to put the ford 8.8 into my car but not sure if they are strong enough for that..

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:17 pm 
CSM Junkie

I really like the custom subframe idea. I know its not really apples to apples because you are using 3kgt pumpkin, but do you think a tube subframe like that is a weight savings a over a stamped dsm one? Or is the strength of the tubing overpower any wieght savings?

Looking really great

Keane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:52 pm 

Quote:
damn dude that looks amazing... great work. those arco bars and end pieces.. were they very pricey? do they feel strong? was thinking of using them for custom rearend mounts to put the ford 8.8 into my car but not sure if they are strong enough for that..

Steve

For something that's not already proven like these specific rod ends you'd want to do some math. Each manufacture has their rod end rated so you might be fine with these or have to change sizes depending what your end need is. Generally I'd go with aurora or FK rod ends but these should do fine for my application.

White Colt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:54 pm 

Quote:
I really like the custom subframe idea. I know its not really apples to apples because you are using 3kgt pumpkin, but do you think a tube subframe like that is a weight savings a over a stamped dsm one? Or is the strength of the tubing overpower any wieght savings?

Looking really great
I think it's worth about 30lbs and it just made life easier for the fabrication work. This subframe is for a dsm. I bought a car for the subframe and it turned out to be rotted and then bought another subframe after having several people flake and it ended up having missing and rusted components so at that point I was just over using a stock subframe.

White Colt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:07 pm 

Rear end swap work is finally 100% complete so I started removing all undercoating and grime from the wheel wells and floor. The plan is to have the wheel wells, interior and exterior floors and cage all painted white.

I also finished the rear shock mount idea I had in mind. I couldn't find any eyelets that were drilled for m10x1.25 so I made my own.

This summer I have some things I'm wanting to make that I hope everyone in the community enjoys.

White Colt

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next