4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:02 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Hey guys! I actually have a nice update to post but need to find new hosting for my photos. I don't know what Photobucket is trying to pull. Any recommendations?

I'm right in the middle of my move, got a lot of front suspension installed. Once I get back to Alabama in my new house I'm going full tilt on the car to get it on the road. HUGE thanks to Mitsubishikid who supplied me with the correct engine mounts and shifter cables and helped me confirm I have the correct shifter assembly in the car. I'll post soon with all my photos.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:43 pm 
CSM Junkie

https://postimages.org
Quote:
Hey guys! I actually have a nice update to post but need to find new hosting for my photos. I don't know what Photobucket is trying to pull. Any recommendations?

I'm right in the middle of my move, got a lot of front suspension installed. Once I get back to Alabama in my new house I'm going full tilt on the car to get it on the road. HUGE thanks to Mitsubishikid who supplied me with the correct engine mounts and shifter cables and helped me confirm I have the correct shifter assembly in the car. I'll post soon with all my photos.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:08 pm 

Long time no posting! I will eventually fix all my previous photos posted from photobucket that are now blocked from third-party sharing.

I had to move, once again, but this time I went from a 2,200 sq. ft. house to a 1,300 sq ft. house. I also eliminated a mini-storage that was full of furniture and DSM parts. Needless to say that took a while and after I was done I was able to fit my Evo and Mirage into my new garage with plenty of room to work! I also found myself with enough time to really dedicate some time to the Mirage and get cracking on some things I wanted to accomplish.

My main motivation to tear the car back down was the fact that the engine was only test-fitted anyway and I needed a FWD starter plate instead of an AWD plate. So it just made sense to pull everything out and paint the engine bay. Of course, its an 89' Mirage so it needed something completely absurd under the hood. The rest of the car will be repainted black.

This is what I started with:

Engine came out (disregard the nasty looking floor...its just stained from previous owners)

Then I needed to strip and clean the engine bay. I ended up leaving the fuel feed line, the rear brake lines, and a the fuel return and vent tubes because they would have been too much work to remove. So I painted around them.

I ended up washing the engine bay 3 separate times with Purple Power and dish detergent and sanded the engine bay with red scotch pads.

As you can see, I had plenty of room to work in the garage as long as I moved the Evo and rearranged some boxes of parts. Believe it or not, the entire Mirage interior, gas tank (new), and misc parts are all stored upstairs in the attic. I ended up putting flooring up there and some storage shelves.

Here's some pictures of my makeshift paint booth. $55. If anyone wants a materials list let me know. This will be 18'(L)x10'(W)x7'(H)

Engine bay prepped and taped.

Two coats of primer - I used white epoxy primer. It worked great, and if you spray base coat within 72 hours of applying primer you do not have to sand it first. This was an attractive option to me, so I was able to spray primer one night, then base/clear the next. Worked great.

Base/Clear. I used PPG Shopline paint and some kind of clear I wasn't familiar with. It worked great.

This first picture is still in the paint booth right after spraying clear so there's bad lighting and overspray still in the air.

After letting it dry overnight I pulled it out of the garage to see it in the sun. While it isn't perfect, the only problems I had are from the application process. I had a couple minor runs in the paint and a little orange peel. In the highly visible areas (top of firewall, shock mount towers, radiator support) it is nearly flawless and smooth as glass! Overall I am VERY happy. And the color is outrageous which makes me smile.

In case anyone is wondering, the color is Burple. It looks a little more purple in real life. I don't have a paint code - the paint guy and I literally dumped a bunch of metallic blue into metallic purple until I was happy. Hope you guys enjoyed this update!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:11 pm 
CSM Junkie

Outrageously awesome, nice work man.

Keane

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:57 pm 

Beautiful, love the makeshift DIY booth too! 99% of the stuff will be covered so it'll look great once you start bolting parts and wiring back in there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:23 pm 
The Silent Administrator

I love the metallic elements in the paint.

Can I assume you are changing your wheel bearings up front, after all is said and done?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:08 pm 

Thanks guys, the paint booth was really easy to build and cost about $50 from Home Depot.

Flyin' Eagle, I already rebuilt the hubs and converted to floating rotors. I'll be using brand new 99 GSX calipers and GVR4 rotors. I'll repost the images earlier in this thread. Photobucket really screwed the pooch on it's photo sharing policy. Nobody is going to pay $399/yr. for that!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:38 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Nice work with the conversion!

I was only pointing out the hub situ because I didn't see axles torqued in the hubs while it is a roller.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:02 pm 

Quote:
Nice work with the conversion!

I was only pointing out the hub situ because I didn't see axles torqued in the hubs while it is a roller.
yeah just moving it around the yard will kill wheel bearings if there isnt any axles in them.. im building my awd van and put the outter cops in all 4 and tightened them down since i put in all new bearings.
hate to see them go bad once its running.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:09 pm 

Great... I noticed the wheel hubs were getting play in them so I started wheeling it around on the jack. I figured once I got axles in and torqued them it would tighten back up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:40 am 
The Silent Administrator

Yeah, what Steve said. Here is to hoping ... but at least the full drive train was not installed at the time it was moved around like this.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:07 pm 

The wheel will also completely fall off since nothing is holding it on. I mean its never happened to me or anything though :lol: .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:16 pm 

that paint job looks killer man, and like others have stated already, if you plan to move the car around, you will want to bolt outer axle stubs into the hubs, I pulled some from a junkyard that I use just for this purpose.
did you water the floor down before painting, Ive heard that helps keep dust attracted to the water on the floor as opposed to the work surface.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:50 pm 

Decided to start recording the build. Forgive the amateur narration and editing.

https://youtu.be/_tpYaqHyAZk

If there's a way to embed videos here please let me know!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:54 pm 
CSM Junkie

Your a beast, it looks amazing and your still putting in more effort to perfect it lol. Props to you man I love the color too

Keane