4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Re: 89 Dodge Raider
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:06 pm 

I wanted to do something similar with the white 87 auto I had a few months back but really wasn't feeling another project at this time so we sold it. Just glad this one is up and running. That one with the swap sure is cool though!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:25 pm 
CSM O.G.

Quote:
Darkhorse, I actually have access to a few 94-95 Montero SR's at one of the local yards. Anything special on those that is a good upgrade? I would like to upgrade the rear end eventually just to get rear discs. Does it matter if the rear comes from an auto Montero since mine is manual?
Check the badge in the engine bay but I'm 99.9% positive it's basically the same (4.625 vs 4.636 which are both called 4.6 gears in the Montero realm) the only issue I can think of is the variety of flange patterns they used on the pinion but that's easily overcome. Oh and getting the ebrake to work perhaps. Nab the coils and front upper a-arm as well as the calipers and rotors to upgrade yours all at once. No idea but maybe the master and booster since you're a yard hound.

I would sell my superwinch manual front hubs, and I have that early grill as pictured in the 4g63 swap one above. .

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:23 pm 

Thanks for the info Darkhorse.

I've done quite a bit of maintenance this past week. I swapped out the noisy lifters. Found out the ones in the 94-98 SOHC 4G64's are the exact same parts and I had a few of those low mileage heads sitting around collecting dust. I pulled 12 lifters, soaked them in lantern fuel and kept bleeding them for days to get all of the old oil out. I also noticed that the hole that feeds oil to the lifters in the rockers were partially blocked on a few so I took a needle to clean it out. Then a few rounds of carb cleaner and compressed air. I also replaced the valve cover gaskets while it was all apart, plugs and wires too.

I was chasing down a hesitation in starting while the truck was warm. I found my exact symptoms on an F-Body page and the guy said it was a leaky injector. I found out mine were 210cc, the same as the 1g 1.8 dsm's. I happened to have four here already so I went to the yard to grab two more. Made an injector cleaner using a youtube link from Jafro, bought some new seal kits from Rockauto and installed them along with a new intake gasket. Problem solved and she fires right up when warm now.

So now she's quiet with no ticking and it fires right up every time. I'm sure the previous owner would be amazed at how far this thing has come in a short amount of time. Next on the list is the t-belt and water pump once it cools off a bit.