4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:18 am 
Some call me a god

Me too, I need a spacer but mine also had A/C. If you didn't have an A/C bracket I would assume you had some kind of factory spacer in there, I believe there are OEM spacers for this purpose. I have never seen IM shafts differ from A/C to non-A/C equipped cars so you either have to have a spacer or an A/C bracket. That's the way I understand it anyway, hopefully someone can confirm.

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:12 pm 

This is the bracket for a dsm intermediate shaft.

The CSM intermediate doesn't have that step in it. I will take a picture of it tomorrow when I get back from my children's doctor appointment.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:39 pm 
The Silent Administrator

What Nocturnal is saying is true. Spacer or AC bracket or BUST. It has to have one or the other in the position closest the timing belt.

Not sure why it blew out, but you have to have it centered plain and simple and the spacer should do just that if you don't have an AC bracket in place. You can cut out the spacer section from the AC bracket or order this part number from JNZtuning.net:

Click for the page at Partsouq.com

MB297732

Did you have washers in the void area, and were they hardened type steel?

There is a step in ALL intermediate shaft brackets from this era of car. Later on, things changed as the transmission swapped sides and the intermediate shaft no longer shared a location near the AC bracket, because those components changed sides in the engine bay.

I am still on the fence about how deep the threads went before hitting rusty bits. Not many people have taps that can thread right into the very end of a hole, and even at that, there aren't threads all the way into those holes, as they neck down near the end with no thread. Was this the block that came with the car? If so, it may never have had an intermediate shaft installed into it, unless Karl installed a CSM turbo intermediate shaft or a DSM intermediate shaft concoction at some point. The car never went very far ... and you've seen all the other troubles it had, so I'm just trying to get a handle on where the components sit and what you really have!

Peace of mind for all of us, when it is sorted for you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:57 am 

Karl installed a one piece I installed the 2 piece. I bought the CSM intermediate that looks like this without a step.

See no step in it.

Edit: this is the exact one I bought... http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=40290

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:31 pm 
The Silent Administrator

This is mine installed. It helps illustrate the "step" where it should be.

Please confirm for us that the engine block says 4g63 on the flat spot behind the dipstick tube area. Just checking that too.

Without a step, and not knowing what depth everything should be at, you might be outside tolerance or have an angle on the shaft. That bracket has to be wron in some sense. I know LilEvo has posted comparison and Tuners likely shows comparison photos also, but I couldn't tell you as yet, which bracket you have.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 8286 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:35 pm 
The Silent Administrator

I think the bolt closest the timing belt was likely too deep into the bore and bottomed, and the outer Bol was in too shallow if the thickness of the bracket was off considerably.
Posting on my phone so kinda limited on what I can search in a timely fashion.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:52 pm 
The Silent Administrator

This shows a few photo comparisons.

http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... on#p313861

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:55 pm 

Quote:
I think the bolt closest the timing belt was likely too deep into the bore and bottomed, and the outer Bol was in too shallow if the thickness of the bracket was off considerably.
Posting on my phone so kinda limited on what I can search in a timely fashion.
Doubt that because when I when to drill it to use the easy out it went in even further and bottomed out and got wedged in and broke the bit which is where I am stuck at now.

Here is the blowout of the mirage turbo driver side axle. Notice no single spacer each bolt gets the same spacers. Which is the way I had it. Now I may not have had it spaced out exactly the way it was supposed to be but both were even and torqued.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:07 pm 

Quote:
This shows a few photo comparisons.

http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... on#p313861
In that thread on the first page there is a comparison picture of the two intermediate shafts and you can just see the difference between the two...

The bracket on the right (the CSM one) is in general thicker overall. It lacks the notch at the top (towards the timing belt) for the AC bracket (which is why it didn't work for the alternator relocation kit which the thread mentions).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:14 am 
Some call me a god

Spacer on timing belt side only keeps getting mentioned but the A/C bracket covers both bolt holes equally, you will need (2) spacers, not 1.

So what did you have in there for spacers?

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:01 pm 

I don't remember how far it was spaced out exactly I remember reading to space it out until it didn't bind. I know it isn't the same as the dsm one though.

And both were spaced out equally. But I'm not sure how far.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13