4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:42 am 

I thought id start this thread and get peoples input whilst im still only at the start of my build so if I get stuck maybe someone here has a solution ;)
(so far this forum has been very helpful)

I wanted to start racing so I started looking for a car.(I mention this so you know this car will not be going on the road)

So what i started with is a Mitsubishi lancer ca, which had a 4g61t put in when i bought it.

Picked the car up for $1200 AUD of an older guy that didnt know much about it wanted it for rallying but had something wrong with his hands....

it came with
a vr4 ecu,
monroe gt shocks on some seriously high springs...(lift kit?)
standard rims and tyres.
2.5 inch exhaust all the way to a big side mounted muffler and 2.5 inch out but the out pipe was snapped off... (im taking the muffler out altogether and getting a straight pipe welded up)
it has a different dash i think (white background)
it had a half cut of bumper attached to it. (dont know why it was cut, i think he wanted more clearance?)
standard everything else (i think not sure about injectors)
ran pretty good except it had a check engine light. which turned out to be a faulty knock sensor (found out after i bought it)

Anyways so far here is what ive done.

Ripped out most of the interior
replaced knock sensor and wiring.
fixed a whole bunch of dodgy wiring.
mounted a boost gauge, oil pressure gauge (wiring goes through the digital clock)
boost controller
made a proper cold air intake with the standard airbox. (just used some 3 inch piping and ran it behind the indicator)

I started mounting the new front mount intercooler (in mm 730x200x90 one side in out) the other day which is on hold at the moment as some things havent arrived yet.
got most of the piping allready just waiting on my sqv bov and some elbow joins.
I upgraded to a 2g throttle body elbow (in the mail ) to fit the 2.5 inch ic piping (thanks to slowdsm for the advice)
I cut the bumper support bar and made up a custom bracket so the ic fits in with aircon etc.
bought a lancer gsr front bumper and cut it to fit the new front mount.
went to the muffler shop today to try and expand the outlet pipe size of the td04 turbo from 1 3/4 to 2 or as close as possible
and for $10 aud they managed to stretch it to 1.95 inches without cracking it or weakening it, and polished it :D now the hose fits on nice and snug (2 - 2.5 inch 90 degree reducer)

I think thats it so far, i have a bunch of parts still waiting to be installed like a ngk 9634 plug leads,bosch platinum plugs, wideband, shift light, bonnet pins etc and am waiting on a bunch more like springs etc.
so as i build ill update but here are some picture of what im working with so far
(intercooler is not installed in these pics but the bumper support is cut and the bracket is all welded up at the bottom)

front of car with original side mount intercooler, bumper support bar is all cut and new support made up, bottom support welded up for ic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:57 pm 

nice build up.. cant wait to see it running and racing...

if those bosch plugs are the ones with multi leads on them. like this.

http://image.4wheeloffroad.com/f/295628 ... k_plug.jpg

I personally wouldnt use them.. im sure others will chime in but I was told by many turbo people to only run single lead plugs. I run nothing but ngk bpr7es. part number 5534.. ( if you plan to run 12 psi boost or more these are great.)

this is what the single lead ones should look like..

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... TSb8I2Jy1o

keep up the good work..

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:40 pm 
CSM Junkie

Yet another car us NA-ers got ripped off on :(. I love that body style!

Yeah, the multi-lead plugs are nothing but trouble on anything but a pure stock application. Single-electrode are the way to go.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:51 pm 

Im racing single lead plugs :)
the number on the bosch plug is wr7dp+

ive never even seen these multi lead plugs before.

as far as i know these are suppossed to be pretty good, im using ngk 9634 spark leads (got to put them and the plugs in)

I am actually wondering if the brakes etc were upgraded, it has 4 disc brakes and a stud pattern of 114....
i thought these came with a stud pattern of 100?

I found another lancer gsr same style as mine but in white (cb lancer gsr), looks in good nick except it has a blown 4g61 na in it.
I was thinking of picking that car up for $300 i think it might be worth it for the spares.
But i was wondering if anyone knows if there are any major differences between a lancer ca and a cb lancer gsr na
other than the motor offcourse im more wondering on chasis, suspension ...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:07 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Stock NGK BPR6ES, or 12+ PSI NGK BPR7ES, single electrode copper plugs. It's the bible of spark plugs for these engines. The others may work, but there is a long standing debate on whether or not, non NGK plugs are worth swapping to. In some cases yes, but for your purposes, it will do you the best and they are like $10-15 for a set of 4. You can afford to keep spares around ...

Disk brakes was the norm on higher end models from these years. You likely have the same setup we got on our C53a turbo cars, 256mm front vented rotors/single piston caliper, 256mm non-vented rotors and single piston caliper in the rear. The rear calipers should be the same as the Galant VR4/4 wheel disc setup. Galant VR4's do have larger front calipers that are twin piston and measure in at 266mm?? Don't quote me on that last measurement, GVR4's and DSM's with twin piston front brakes shared the same rotors I believe.

CA's were the bubble cars like you have, CB's were the little hatches like the C50 FWD/C80 4WD as pictured at the top of this forum. There is a switch-over point for pre-facelift and facelift for the same chassis, but the updated looks and slight option changes.
You could pick up the other car, but most of the same stuff will be engine/trans mounts, engine bay stuff and wiring for the car, seats, heck the cars are the same except for trim where the bodies are different in shape, and possibly the lower control arms. At $300, is it's rust free then you are getting a heck of a deal. You can always scrap the shell to a yard and make at least half that back, if metal recycling pricing are like what we have here.

All Mitsu's cars from this era were 114.3 if there were 4 bolt hubs, only later did they move to 4x100. Later Ralliart NA Lancers got some 15" rims in the early 2000's and they were 114.3x4 for that model only, the rest were all 4x100 to make things seem a little strange; brought back a rim that would fit their older cars!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:42 pm 
CSM Junkie

Ugh, those bosch plugs are the platinum-tipped ones. Remove immediately. They are terrible for boost, IMO. They were used on the VW G60 supercharged engines, mainly because they were hard to foul...but they are nasty and overly expensive for no reason. High boost will have those tips melting in no time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:57 pm 

I heard those plugs are good for boost due to them not overheating :S

EDIT:
but after you just said they were rubbish...
i did some research online turns out the guy at the shop was full of shit and just wanted my money ....
asshole.
back to another shop to get some ngk plugs. anyone ever considered the iridium plugs.. are they worth it?
EDIT:
just found out that they use the wr7dp+ plugs on the Porsche 911, 924, 928, 944, 968 ?!?
im finding a lot of mixed views on this plug online

flying eagle. when you mention the differences between ca and cb lancers...
im a bit confused the cars almost look the same over here... the cb has a bodykit better interior, sits lower and has a sunroof the ca doesnt
thats why i thought any big differences might be in the suspension setup or struts or something

here is the gsr i was looking at, no rust or anything, just dusty. been up for a while so i think ill get it close to 300

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:40 pm 

holy crap.. 300 for that car is a steal.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:29 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Yeah, I'm not up on the CA/CB difference. I have to admit that. Sure I could have told you that a few years ago, but my overseas memory is a little hazy. Guaranteed the boys at the AUS forum could do that some justice though. www.gsrcyborgclub.com We've all acquainted.

For the plugs, it's your choice but I can tell you that anyone who has zero ignition issues and a mild-mid power engine setup is using, will be the NGK's.

PM sent.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:15 pm 

yeah there is so many different versions of this car :-?

im about to install the shift light ill post pics once ive done that..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:52 am 

hey sooo after some of these christmas holidays my last part finally arrived :) my 2g throttle body elbow.
ive started putting it all together.
and as per usual things are not quite working out as smooth as i hoped.
the ic piping is all sweet running actually a bit shorter than previously anticipated.

but here is the problem...
the 2g throttle body elbow isnt quite 2.5 inches (what is it with mitsubishi and these weird sizes) its slightly under.
i was thinking of using a 2.375 sized hose i think that will fit snug onto the 2g elbow but then does anyone one know if you can stretch silicone onto a 2.5 pipe?
ive cut the pipe to length so it doesnt have that little hump at the end anymore.
ive got a 2.25 that might just stretch over the 2g elbow but not gonna go over the 2.5 alloy.

I can not find a reducer from 2.5 to 2.375 anywhere i dont think they exist?

at the moment ive just used a 2.5 hump coupler and clapped it pretty tight which looks ok but wont know till i test it. mind you it was really loose before i clamped it easily 2 - 3 mm gap.

anyone got any ideas?
thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:41 am 
Some call me a god

I think we all use a 2.5" coupler on a 2g elbow. The little hump or bead is there to keep the coupler from coming off under boost. You want all of your piping to be bead rolled if you plan to run higher boost.

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:30 pm 

yeah i figured as much (regards the bead)
i am going to see if i can find someone to shorten the 2 pipes and re roll the beads.
I will have 4 ends of pipe with no bead otherwise. I wonder if it is not cheaper to just get a custom pipe made up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:41 pm 

everything is closed till the 6th of january.. i hate these delays!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:50 am 

so the ic is all setup and hooked up runs and sounds sweet ill post pics later on.:)

just have a quick question.

spark plug cables .
which plug goes onto which coil end?

its all setup and running im just double checking the ngk numberings on the cables confused me

thanks