4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:03 am 

Hi. I'm new to CSMs, haven't been behind the wheel of a Mitzi in years, but I was in a bind with my F150 and managed to talk my way into this car for $5.

When I picked it up, the brakes were seized and the battery was dead. It leaked oil, The PO had parked it for that reason alone. Also, it was filthy.

After replacing the rear main seal, a quick clean and inspect to the brakes, a battery charger and some heavy duty cleaning inside and out, I have my first CSM.

My first trip downtown was a nightmare. It died 4 times in 6 miles, and the smoke and the smell told me why. Bad gas. It was only parked since Oct '12 but it was foul and waterlogged. I topped up the tank and it ran fine. Yes, I'm that much of an idiot sometimes. My next day off I need to pop the sending unit out and siphon the tank.

Anyhow, this site has already been a huge help (having an issue with the coil) and I would like to thank you all for what I've learned about the car and for what I will learn in the future.

Back to the car. It's a 91 Japan-built Canadian model, regged as a Plymouth Colt. The 4d15 w/ 3sp FWD auto has 367k on the odo (230ish in mi). Rad is in bad shape, rear springs are busted, and it needs some cancer treatment.

Plans for the car currently consist of new paint (Charcoal Met w/ Grabber Green accents), some decent DD wheels and tires (15"), window tint, new suspension, a turbo rad, and rear speakers.
I'm also contemplating a GT spoiler, custom fibreglass body kit, shaved everything, and some upholstery work. Not yet sure what to do for the engine and trans, but the 6g72 crossed my mind. Options are a bit limited here in BC so finding a donor will be a miracle.

Pics to come, but it looks like a stock red colt h/b (with a tremclad black semigloss hood) anyways

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:55 am 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:51 pm 

Welcome to the board.

nice find and nice looking car. if you read alot of the posts on this forum (as you said you read some already) you will learn tons about these little cars. most people do the 4g63 swap into these cars.. if you can find someone up there who is doing that swap.. or did it already and has a 4g61t that they pulled out of theres.. that would still be a huge upgrade over the 1.5.

as for the plans... good to see you said 15s..and not 20s lol.. the wings are rare, pricey and usually hard to find.

my personal preferance is stay away from body kits for these cars as they dont need to be riced out.. same with shaving everything. alot of people think these are hondas at a glance.. and a body kit and shave will only make it worse.. **** just my personal opinion****

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:27 pm 

Quote:
Welcome to the board.

nice find and nice looking car. if you read alot of the posts on this forum (as you said you read some already) you will learn tons about these little cars. most people do the 4g63 swap into these cars.. if you can find someone up there who is doing that swap.. or did it already and has a 4g61t that they pulled out of theres.. that would still be a huge upgrade over the 1.5.

as for the plans... good to see you said 15s..and not 20s lol.. the wings are rare, pricey and usually hard to find.

my personal preferance is stay away from body kits for these cars as they dont need to be riced out.. same with shaving everything. alot of people think these are hondas at a glance.. and a body kit and shave will only make it worse.. **** just my personal opinion****

Steve
Thanks for the feedback.

Admittedly, I'd prefer to stay NA on this car due to freezing cold winters up here. I wish it was an AWD for the same reason.

I should also clarify that when I mention "body kit" My personal tastes lean toward functional and practical minimalism. Reworking the front bumper to recess the mandatory front plate and blend some fog lamps in, and possibly putting some extra airflow to the rad. Rear bumper may or may not receive some airflow compensation, depending on how much I dislike the handling at 70mph.

Any other styling mods will likely lean towards Evo8 or early 90s BMW appearance, but I'll mostly just be keeping it clean and streamlined.

For now I need to concentrate on functionality, but I'd love more suggestions on engine choices.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:39 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Admittedly, I'd prefer to stay NA on this car due to freezing cold winters up here. I wish it was an AWD for the same reason.
No car warms up faster than a turbo car. It drops to -40*C sometimes here in Ottawa, and none of my previous turbocharged DDs ever had an issue. My current daily is non-turbo, and it takes FOREVER to warm up, lol.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:56 pm 

Quote:
No car warms up faster than a turbo car. It drops to -40*C sometimes here in Ottawa, and none of my previous turbocharged DDs ever had an issue. My current daily is non-turbo, and it takes FOREVER to warm up, lol.
-56*C with 50mph winds means the oil is too thick for a turbo, even with 0W30... I'd just prefer not to need a pan heater and an available plugin all the time.

I had a 91 Eclipse years ago with a NA 4g63, and I liked it a lot. If this car ever becomes something other than the reliable DD I need it to be right now I will definitely be looking for some boost.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:34 pm 
CSM Junkie

Geez man, where in BC are you? That far north? That's crazy cold!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:50 pm 

Quote:
Geez man, where in BC are you? That far north? That's crazy cold!
Dawson Creek & Ft St John mostly, and yes it is. Keep trying to move south, always end up coming back for work. Makes me want to retire on a beach in Mexico 30 years early lol.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:16 pm 

im not sure where u would find one.. but ive seen a few dsm's with blowers on them... that will get u the boost/power without the need for a oil warmer..

plus would look kewl as hell when u pop the hood.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:29 pm 
The Silent Administrator

You want to build a 2.4L NA car then. Get a front lip spoiler from a GT that has one, and save the money/time of not having to mod any of the bumpers. Drop springs, a turbo sway bar and mounts, with urethane bushings, and you should be good to go for some time.

If you wanted to go 1.6L turbo, I would have everything you are looking for. PM sent.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:44 pm 
Welcome to the site and congrats on your CSM!
I have some red factory ground effects and a spoiler I might be persuaded to part with 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:30 pm 

Quote:
Welcome to the site and congrats on your CSM!
I have some red factory ground effects and a spoiler I might be persuaded to part with 8)
I'm a glasser so it's kind of always been my thing to make my own. If you have some good photos I'd love to see them for styling cues though.

Also if anyone knows a good place to shop in Wa or Idaho I'm planning a trip around next June.

Also wondering if anyone has tried using any Starion suspension parts, sway bars in particular.