4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 8 Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:26 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Getting excited to work on the car this weekend.
Innovate LC-1 green Wideband should be coming in today.
CF gauge pod (cheap and fake $12) came in for the glove box to hold the gauges.
I am still working a deal on some Prosport gauges off craigslist for the Oil Pressure, Coolent Temp, and Boost
The welded trans should be coming out today or tomorrow. Questionable trans is going in F5M33 from old drag car
I hope to get the Water to air Intercooler welded tomorrow or Wednesday. It has a crack down one of the welds.
I got to get this car on the road this weekend. Then I hope to have my buddy who is a tuner at a local shop come and do a street tune.
I just hope I don't have a 20psi wastegate spring. If I do I will have to order another one in a hurry and have it tuned in a hurry.
Just wanted to update on the situation.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX
99 GSX..........31 Dodge 4dr Rat Rod, 67 Catalina, 92 3kgt vr4, 83 Civic,4 00 F-350, 01 Chevy 2500HD
3 KIDS, FUTURE FIANCE, AND CAR ADDICTION

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:37 pm 
CSM Junkie

You plan on driving it to the shootout?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:06 pm 

Yep that is the plan. It will be a tight plan and I been spending way more money than I ever planned.
So I just took next Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday off to work on the car and have some fun.

I am just worried about the wastegate spring. If it is 20psi, then I don't know if I will have enough injector. ?????
I will then be trying to hunt down a prehistoric wastegate spring. Extremepsi said they would have to look into it if they can even get it.
I might have to order a knockoff from ebay and used the knockoff spring. I don't want to run more than 13psi. I know, I can go faster, but with not knowing anything about the bottom end or what kind of life my block has had. I don't have the heat exchanger and just plan on not running one until after shootout. Funny idea is to get a keg bucket or tote and put the water tank in ice so that I have 30lb of ice lol. I wonder how long that would last lol
I am still on the hunt for the perfect heat exchanger. I might hook everything up and order one next Monday after I see how everything is going to be routed.
I did get a 8gal/min pump. I am hoping this will do the job really well no matter what heat exchanger I get.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX
99 GSX..........31 Dodge 4dr Rat Rod, 67 Catalina, 92 3kgt vr4, 83 Civic,4 00 F-350, 01 Chevy 2500HD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:32 pm 
CSM Junkie

Ahh. My little 'ol RC550's just purr away. 21lbs is no problem for them, but it is a problem for the tires. Can't hit full boost with traction until about 40-50, even then is gets a little dicey. Will be better when I get the LSD insert into the tranny.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:37 am 

According to the compressor maps at 65% efficient on a td06 20g at 1.7(10psi) pressure ratio, it will flow the same lb/min as 2.7 (24.48psi) pressure ratio at 50% on a Big 16g. I will be running 1.9 pressure ratio which is 13psi depending on the altitude etc.
I am going to just make the assumption the 660cc will work and just leave it at that for now. We will see Monday. I am going to tune the car on Link first to get a good running map. Then I will set the ECU to stock settings and let my buddy tune with the Apexi afc using the Link to datalog everything. Doing the Link first, I feel safer as I have never messed with AFC. I have a stock ecu for the car and my Link ecu is for one of my other cars.
:tonqe:
If I am wrong in any of this please explain.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:45 am 
CSM Junkie

Throw AFC in the garbage, buy second DSMLink. Seriously.

I never understand why so much money can be spent on a build, only to cheap out on the management. There are three cheap ways of tuning DSMs that offer full tuneability (eeprom conversion on stock ecu through DSMLink, allowing stock file to be modded...DSMLink itself...EVO ecu swap).

Not trying to be a dick, just really stunned by the whole AFC thing :(.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:29 am 

Well I agree with you. I have 2 dsmlink already. 1 for my fwd, 1 for my awd.
Problem is too many cars for them all to have dsmlink. That is the beauty about cars in that you can only drive one at a time. :lol:
I currently have:
90 GSX V3 Link
90 Tsi FWD V2.? Link ... needs upgraded
90 Tsi AWD Stock ecu
92 Colt 4g63 Apexi AFC
99 Eclipse need tactrix cable

So spending the money on the management is hard to do. I am building this colt will all my spare parts.
I hope to have less than 2k into it running and driving cause I had everything else laying around from deals I had made, but this 2k doesnt including tires and rims.
But Broke4speed, I have plans on upgrading the management cause I am very huge on MPG.
My 90 Tsi Fwd was getting 26mpg in town with a mix of highway and city streets. It was running a mild port, 3in exhaust, 2g exhaust manifold ported, small 16g 16psi, 550cc, 2g maf, and stock everything else. Fun until the cheap headgasket blew up. Rebuilt motor is not ready for drop in.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:09 pm 
CSM Junkie

Can't drive all the cars at the same time, so why not switch the link from one car to another, depending on use?

I mean, an AFC is technically a tuning solution, but once you've had fully tuneable management (like dsmlink), the limitations of an RPM-based piggyback will probably shine through pretty brightly. The blue-wire mod would work a bit better, but still...

Ultimately, it's your car, and I'm sure you've got more than enough experience with all this stuff to keep everything together. The AFC is just such an icky looking thing, lol.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:53 am 

I don't want to spend that much money. I also don't want to have to pull my ecu all the time.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:36 am 

So I took 3 days off from work. I had 5 days to work on the car. The (female) was pump to work on the car and get it finished, but didn't know all the work that would need to be done. She spun her wheels after day 2.
Due to the water to air intercooler tank and battery being in the trunk, she ran all the wires for the gauges, radiator fan, intercooler pump, and the 5/8 hoses. She did a really good job. You cant see the 5/8in hose anywhere infront of the rear seat. She got the switches for the radiator fan and intercooler pump installed. She used a fuse kit also.
I got the intercooler and piping ran. I installed the 20g, downpipe, wideband, and external wastegate. The 20g had been tapped too many times and I had to do it again. When are people going to learn what torque specs are. Fixed the problem with a real solution. I installed the gauge pod and had to do some cutting on the pod. When you flip open the glove box the 3 pod is attached to the door and folds up inside. The 3 pod has the a/f, coolant temp, and oil pressure. The sunglass holder has the boost gauge like everyone else. I order cheap gauges and was very surprised to find the boost gauge was electrical instead of mechanical. I will see how well it work and might discard. I kept all the gauges hidden cause I don't like drawing attention to myself.

The (female) on the other hand loves the attention. She loves the lil rattle box. She wants the car to have the loud low tone. I am also placing my subwoofer and amp in the trunk so we cant put a single thing in the trunk area. She says the car is so ugly that she loves it. She names it Chastity as in Chastity belt, cause it will not get any guy the ladies. But she loves the idea of beating mustang owners, camaro owners, and anything with a v8 in a rattle can car, but we will see what it runs. We all know if we get beat by a woman driver it is a hit to the ego. She races a few people in my evo when I still had it.

Back to the build, the welded trans was replaced with a open diff f5m33. I did a lot of work with the shift cable to try to get it all to work. It felt like it was all going into gear. So my setup is the colt shifter, gt adjustable cables, 2 mystery cable trans brackets, and I don't know when shift arms. I looked up what needed to be down to get all the gears to work. I had an idea to just put a linkage extension in. The front to back motion was short for 2,4 and R. The extension made it feel like it was going into gear after the extension. After the test drive I realize they were not and popping out. I will mess with this Friday night. I has to replace the passenger side cv axle with the 89 gt turbo. It worked great and fit right in. I got the FPR installed an found out a local shop carried an fitting, couplers, and a bunch of turbo accessories.

I got the water to air intercooler barely into the engine bay with the MAF. everything needs a bracket and something to hold it down so things don't rub. I will post pictures of how tight everything is later, probably Monday. I got the car to drive around the block twice. The AFC was still setup for the old setup so I kept out of the gas and just wanted to do a shake down. I had no leads which was very surprising. I thought I would have at least a small drip.

I have a downpipe with no other exhaust besides a muffler and cat. The exhaust shop would not make a exhaust without a cat.
I have a 2.5 to 3in downpipe, but the exhaust guy is going to a 2.5in after the cat. I currently have a magnaflow 3in CAT. I have a dual tip magnaflow muffler.
The exhaust company doesn't like doing 3inch.
I still have the mystery fuel pump in the tank, but it is holding 40psi constant. I have not fine tune this at all.

The wideband is installed but the current downpipe bung angle makes the wideband o2 the lowest part of the car, which will change.

Pictures are crappy but from this past week. I WILL GET BETTER ONES

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX

Last edited by DSMERwCOLT on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:00 pm 

Another Update if any of you are actually following this.
I got the car finished and on the road with finding all kind of problems.

Problem 1, Shift linkage doesnt have enough throw on the trans side of the cables at the 2,4, and R. I was told to cut the trans shifter arm that rotates about a vertical axis.

I am trying to work out a different solution and also determine what parts all do I have. We know I have 89 gt cables which were adjustable. I currently have a colt trans arm on for the one that bolts to the trans. I believe I have a 1.5 5speed colt trans side cable holder Trans side. I also think I have a colt gt shifter??, but it has been shimmed big time. The Shifter is shimmed really high to make it almost level (is it still sloping down in the front).

From my discussion with Thomcasey, it looks like my car was auto and converted to manual when the 4g63 went in.

What Shifter Do I have??

This is what second gear looks like in the inside, Notice I have the double coupler on there trying to get extra through. I still don't have full engagement.

2nd Gear

1st Gear

So if I read 89Mirageman right he was saying use the dsm arm that is pictured below but drill a hole where I have the red circle. Tap with threads and tread the bolt through the bolt. Use the bolt as my peg for the shift cables. Then just thread a nut on the top of the bolt, not tight. This will bring the about of travel needed to fully engage 2, 4 and rev down. Any thoughts???? There will be more planning to it to insure the hole is line up so I get full 2,4, and rev engagement

PROBLEM 2 The driver side cv axle keeps poping out at the trans. It did this a couple of times while driving and sound horrible and jerked me around. I talk once again to THOMCASEY (very helpful and really appreciate his help). He said I could run a awd driver side cv axle with the midshaft that has a bearing that attaches to the block. I plan on doing this. If anyone has some comments to throw in I am more than willing to listen. Also, I don't know what is currently on the car. It looks new and assumed it was a turbo colt but from talks it sounds like a regular colt gt N/A.

PROBLEM 3 My hks standard wastegate has to be open. I was running 0psi. I also seemed to have a bad maf so I ordered speed density today. I also found a knockoff hks standard wastegate that I will try to use. I need something and all my other options are $500plus besides going internal. I found out my wastegate the hks already had was softer than the wastegate spring I ordered (8psi).

PROBLEM 4 NO REAL POWER BRAKES. The pedal was not going to the floor, but was just not stopping us very well. I couldn't stop the car without nailing the ebrake on a 15% grade hill. Found this out when dropping off the car at the bottom of the hill at the exhaust shop. I didn't check like an idiot the Brake booster. I am assuming this is the problem. I could be driving the car with perfect a/f at 12 and then push the clutch in and nail the brakes to try to stop and the car would die. It would idle all day at 12 a/f. Thought???? I know that I need to sit in it with the car off and pump the brakes until they are to the top and then start the car with my foot on the brake. I know my foot is suppose to lower pretty quickly. Keep in mind I am 3.5 hours from the car during the week.

Exhaust is now on as of an hour ago. I will get pictures this weekend since working on my car and not going to shootout seems like what I will be doing.

PROBLEM 5 We would tune the car in and it wouldn't run rich or lean, then all of the sudden it would just go lean randomly while driving. Every time we would make an adjustment it would flip out and do something else. My tuner said he hates MAF. Well, the MAF didn't really fit as you can see from the pictures. So I went ahead and ordered speed density today cause Racecar. Looks like I will be just using the dsmlink. So I will most likely have a apexi safc II laying around soon.

So the progress I did make was a lot more work than I would have guessed.
The radiator fan and intercooler pump is wired by 2 different switches. My gauges are hooked on 1 switch in the glove box. I got the gauge pod installed and the wideband installed. I then found out that they have a wideband that is plug and play with LC-1. I didn't see that option on dsmlink webpage. Maybe it doesn't apply to us since my tuner works on a lot of junk. He did get great laughs at my rattle box. He tuned a sti at over 400hp the day before. Needless to say he is not very impressed with my rattle can yet, didn't help I had no boost. I got the water lines connected to the intercooler but didn't do a leak test yet. I also have a small oil leak which is crap cause when I assembled everything and drove it the first time around the block, I had no leaks the next morning. I think accidentally made the comment that is a first. lol

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX

Last edited by DSMERwCOLT on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:20 am 

I'm almost positive that you have the correct shifter, why they shimmed it up so high I have no idea. I'd probably remove that and put it back where it's supposed to be. I looked for the pic but I think you forgot to attach it. You don't have to tap any holes, just drill the hole with a 5/16" bit. Get a 5/16 bolt maybe 1-1/4" long. If you only snug the locknut and not fully tighten it, it allows the cable end to swivel like it would on the original pin.

When I did mine, I had my wife hold the shifter in 1st gear, I made sure the linkages on the trans were in 1st gear too. This told me roughly where the hole would need to be drilled. You can lay the end of the cable on the top of the dsm linkage to do this but once you attach it, do so from the bottom.

If you use a dsm intermediate shaft and D/S axle you may have to modify the axle seal. I had to buy a new FWD seal and an AWD one and I used black permatex gasket maker to join one on top of the other. Sounds ghetto I know but it worked perfectly and didn't leak. The AWD seal is too small for the FWD trans. Hope this helps...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:49 am 
Some call me a god

For the cables, shouldn't they be bolted on to the firewall? This might cause some sloppiness .

Can you put the tranny into 2/4/R by actuating the levers on the tranny?

The lever arm you put on the tranny from a colt is what I did on mine and it works. I didn't cut and weld mine on there but instead drilled the pin out and replace the whole thing. You might have to grind and reweld that arm according the above instructions.

Colt axel shafts have a shorter splint section on them and the C clip might not be getting far in far enough to lock the axel in place. If you go with the intermediate AWD shaft you'll need a turbo CSM outer half shaft, (axel).

94 Audi s4 - sold
88 Eagle Vista Turbo LX sedan, RIP

Last edited by j2dapo on Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:19 am 

Thanks guys for the help with the shifter. I am going to try it first Mirageman way.
What cv axle would you buy for a f5m33 trans with stock knuckles and brakes. This is only for the driver side.
So I cant buy a 89 colt turbo midshaft (shaft that comes out of driver side trans and bolts to the block via bearing)
I can buy the 89 colt turbo cv axles without the Midshaft mentioned above
I have a 91-94 dsm awd Midshaft. I have a 91-94 dsm awd driver side cv axle.
I have a 89 colt gt NON TURBO driver side cv axle (long cv axle like a fwd dsm but different length than a fwd dsm)
I have a 90 Turbo DsM Fwd driver side cv axle.
I can also buy a drive side non turbo 89 colt gt cv axle also.
I just need to know what works best thank guys

I was told with the KM210 trans that a dsm midshaft can have the bolt holes oversized on the bearing to allow the shaft to sit a little more into the trans which works great with a turbo gt colt driver side cv axle.

5 X 90 Talon TSI
90 GSX

Last edited by DSMERwCOLT on Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:01 pm 

You can use the dsm awd shaft that bolts to the back of the block but I'd mod the axle seal like mentioned above. The csm one has a washer welded on so it works with the fwd seal. For the axle the best thing would be to get some original 1.6 turbo axles, a lot easier said than done though. Every now and then they pop up used or you may get lucky if you go through the parts stores but most of the time they're the wrong ones.

To make things more confusing for you some people bolt on 92-95 elantra lower control arms. They'll make the stance a bit wider and I believe your dsm axles would work then. Or you can get 92-96 colt vista, summit wagon or expo knuckles. I've also heard this allows you to use dsm axles as well but I haven't personally tried either myself. Lastly, theres a writeup on here somewhere with part #'s for a sonata axle seal that goes in the knuckle. This part might allow the axle to go in your knuckle a little further, probably not much but maybe just enough. Seems there are many ways of going about this, what you do is up to you.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 8 Next