4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:40 pm 

This is my current project. It is a 1984 Dodge Ramcharger Royal LE. I picked this up towards the end of last year with the intentions to just clean it up, do some rust repair, paint it, and do some mild engine mods. As all of you that know me know, I change my mind more than I change my socks. This build went from a simple slight rebuild to a full on tear down and rebuild with an engine swap. It currently has 107,802 miles on it and the old LA 360 (5.9L) Carter ThermoQuad carbureted engine was tired and was experiencing some serious blow by. But the good news was that the A727 TorqueFlite that was in it was just recently rebuilt less than 5,000 miles ago and the New Process 205 transfer case that was in it was also in good shape. According to the build sheet that I found, it has a Dana 44 front axle and a Chrysler 9.25" rear with 3.21 gears in it. Those will be changed out for a set of 4.10s once I get my hands on an electronically controlled 46RH trans from a newer Ram.
At first, the plan was just to add some free flow aluminum heads, a FAST EZ fuel injection system, headers, exhaust, and some other odds and ends. But then I started adding up costs in my head and my days from building Colts came into mind. The plans then changed to include a Magnum 360 from an 01 Ram mounted to my A727 and NP 205 with a 4" body lift and a set of 4.10 gears with 33x10.50s underneath of it. This is going to be a long process because I'm working with an even tighter budget than I was when I was building my Colts and I need a set of rear quarters because it'll be easier and cheaper in the long run than buying replacement panels and making them fit. So far I have the engine ready to go, the trans and x-fer case are painted and ready to be mounted to the engine, the firewall and front frame rails have been painted, and that's about as far as I've gotten. The entire front of the truck is completely tore down. I have the inner and outer fenders off, the front rad support, and all I'm looking at right now out there is a front bumper left. I went out and bought a small sand blasting cabinet so all of the smaller pieces are being sand blasted, primed with epoxy, and painted so I don't have to see any more rust. Here are some pics to hold you over. Mind you, there are alot so be patient if you're dealing with a slow internet connection. Thanks for looking!
BTW, I already purchased the paint for the truck itself and it's going to be Burnt Orange Metallic with a Jet Black roof, or possible just a Jet Black stripe going down offset to one side. But the Orange is a for sure thing. That's why the engine block and multiple parts of the engine are painted with the Burnt Copper. The overall theme for the truck is a 1980's Dodge Ram "Macho" theme, (which is usually Rallye Red and Black). The oil pan on the engine, the trans and x-fer case, and the firewall are all painted with black high temp Wrinkle Paint.

Caleb 3/17/12 8 lbs 15 ozs 20 inches

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:34 pm 

Well I finally got a little work done on the old bitch. I came home and it was around 75 degrees out with a shit load of sun so I knew I had to do something. I drilled out the welds holding the weight on the torque converter because the LA engine and the Magnum engines are both externally balanced but one engine uses a weighted torque converter and one engine uses a weighted flywheel. I'm using the torque converter that was in the transmission to begin with so I had to remove the weight that was on it.

Anyway, I reinstalled the torque converter into the transmission and I reinstalled the sand blasted and painted Magnum flywheel and bolted the transmission to the new engine. I installed both engine to trans braces and the starter. So its basically ready to be installed in the truck as soon as I finish sand blasting and painting the motor mounts.

Enough talk...pics:

Caleb 3/17/12 8 lbs 15 ozs 20 inches