4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:49 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:11 pm 
CSM O.G.

I have owned had this car for at least 4 years, just sitting in storage while I slowly hoarded parts. During that time I built and sold multiple other cars. A few VW rabbits, a S1 Scirocco, a Mercedes 190e cosworth, a VR6 passat, and an aborted Galant GSX.

once I sold the Galant I had enough to buy the last few bits I wanted for this car, so from then on its been all go. I brought all my hoarded parts and a bunch of extras to my brother's place and began the teardown.

Here he is ready to assist

What I started with:

From what I can tell, based on the tags that expired in 99 and the newspaper in the back dated sept 7, 1997 (coincidentally my brother's birthday) this car was sitting for a LONG time before I got it, probably because of the shredded timing belt and subsequent hole in the piston. Anyway, pulled the 1.6, set it next to the incoming 91 2.0, and pushed the car outside to clean the engine bay.

From this:

To this:

and This:

To this:

I am also eliminating some unnecessary stuff on the firewall and relocating some other stuff. In some circles this is referred to as a "mild tuck". I am keeping Power steering, relocating the alternator for both durability and appearance, trimming the timing-side motor mount and using the 1.6 (also N/T) OFH. I will keep an eye out for a 90 turbo OFH for a future project, I just didn't want to run the 91 style

The power steering pump mount has been modified a wee bit to be less chunky.
(the topmost nipple in that pic was also trimmed off once I realized that I din't need it either)

I also rebent the fuel feed/return lines as well as the hydraulic clutch line to lower points on the firewall. The clutch line will come off the firewall with the shifter cables.

The engine was assembled initially with one of those eBay BSE kits by a friend for his automotive class. He may have gotten a good grade on it but I was less than satisfied with the results. He not only put the longer oil pan bolt in the ONE spot that is supposed to have a short one, he also managed to strip that hole so I couldn't just swap them out. OK, since I have the 1.6 right next to it I decided to swap the front cases. $10 for a Front main gasket set and a few hours later, I had the 2.0 apart. while I was in there I thought it wise to swap the OEM stub shaft in as well as the new gasket. Good thing I did because HE LEFT THE BOLT LOOSE ON THE GEAR. I can imagine the chaos that could result from a siezed oil pump so I resolved to double-check everything he touched from there on out. So far so good. I have the motor retimed and on its way to completion.
For reference, Ebay stub saft on the left, OEM on the right:

While it was out I also purple-powered, wire-brushed, and pressure washed the tranny.
Before:

After:

I also determined that the 15's I planned on running for the past few years don't fit over the GVR4 brakes, only the stock turbo brakes, so I picked up some GVR4 wheels from TheDSMguy about an hour north of me and now I don't know what to do with these old (1990) 15x7 Artec wheels.

I think it will come together nicely.

~joe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:08 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Great progress so far. Wish I had the nerve to pull everything ou of the engine bay, and reinstall it following a re-work!
Seriously digging those wheels .....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:28 am 
CSM Junkie

Looks pretty good. I like the wheels. I Have a 90 ofh if your interested.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:37 am 
CSM O.G.

Quote:
Great progress so far. Wish I had the nerve to pull everything ou of the engine bay, and reinstall it following a re-work!
Seriously digging those wheels .....
Thanks, I am being very cautious about it. I pulled everything for the A/C intact in case I ever want to reinstall or sell it and I am double-checking everything else that I do.

Tonight was "Two steps forward, one step back".

I started to reassemble the motor, got the intake, throttlebody, and fuel rail on. Then I started to put the timing cover on. I realized that I forgot the lower metal backing plate that mounts behind the timing tensioner bracket. So I pulled everything againg, retimed it using the allen-wrench-pivoting-on-socket trick, and then got back on track... only to find that the metal plate above it has stripped nutserts on it :x

Gotta find one of those tomorrow in the yards and hopefully find some expo knuckles to swap all my gvr4 stuff onto...

I love the wheels too. I have had them for years but I would be up for getting rid of them if the right offer came along.

~joe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:08 am 
Some call me a god

Looking good so far. They best thing you can do is clean everything before you put it in, I hate working on dirty/greasy parts.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:30 pm 
CSM Junkie

looking good man! Love the deep lip rims! ... looks clean, At least you dont have cancer rust inside the engine bay.. i had to cut out a bunch that...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:35 pm 
CSM O.G.

I agree, I hate rust. Luckily very few cars here actually rust. I live in the one part of Oregon where it just rains, no snow = no salt and not on the coast = no seasalt.

I scored the back timing cover behind the cam gear right before closing. I hose-clamped the cam gears together (broken belt so motor was in yard) so I could take off the intake gear and get to the two bolts holding it to the head. scored it for a buck more pics of the motor later today if I remember

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:43 pm 
CSM O.G.

Well The motor went together with the new clutch kit and Fidanza flywheel, I bolted on a few accessories and got it ready to drop in, then I went home for the night.

I woke the next morning and I could barely breathe, I still can't get a full breathe of air in my lungs without a stabbing pain just below my rib cage the full width of my abdomen... so I have not been out of the house in the past few days except to go to the emergency room. They don't know whats wrong exactly so they are waiting it out and feeding me painkillers for the time being. I am supposed to go for a follow-up on monday.

tl:dr I have been bedridden with chest pain so thats why I have not made much progress on the car and thats why I post so regularly.

~Joe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:37 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:43 pm

What's with the dead thread Joe? Has it really been this long since the last update...... I guess it's getting to be that time again. Much progress has been made in the last few months. Will get pics posted soon.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:20 pm 
Restricted Newbie

A few random pics......

FP mani
AEM high flow filter

List of mods so far...
Big 16g ported
FP manifold
punishment o2 housing
Fidanza aluminum flywheel
BS removed
JayRacing alt relocate
SRT4 front mount
N/A TB
2g MAF w/ K&N
Optima red top
AEM high flow fuel filter
Adj. FPR (brand unknown)
ARP head studs
2.5" exhaust
255lph fp
Safc 2
Greddy turbo timer
Evo 550's
Aluminum Honda half radiator

GVR4 slotted fronts with stainless lines (van knuckles of course)

Oh yea....and this...

Last edited by they_call_me_THE_ONE on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:09 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Haha, you guys of all people had to be the ones to try that one again! Great looking update!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:37 pm 
Some call me a god

I don't get the dots or periods or whatever...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:52 am 
Some call me a god

^Anticipation for the s13 headlight retrofit. Going to look good if you can get the corners, grill and hood to flow.

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:44 am 
Restricted Newbie

Joe and I have been tossing around some ideas but haven't come up with anything concrete. They fit nicely however the height is just slightly different. ANd of course we'll keep you updated with pics on the headlights.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:32 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Found this today while I was in the process of the fuel pump install.... This car hasn't been on the road since 1997. Had nearly a full tank of fuel (turpentine). At this point I think I'm going to replace the entire fuel system, lines, tank, etc. Wanted to do that anyways, but now I have an excuse.

1990 Talon TSi
1995 Crown Vic
1993 Ford F-250 BBF
1987 Chevy Sprint Turbo