1991 Dodge Colt GL
completly stock from the roof to the rubber
1.5l 4g15 with 285k miles
Red exterior, Grey Interior
5 speed transmission, shifts great
Leaks no fluids, Runs and drives great, Burns a small amount of oil
Very Minimal amount of rust
Inspection sticker just ran out

When I purchased this vehicle on 9/10/2012 I had just lost my license for 60 days and bought this as a project until I get my car back. I purchased it from the original owners a couple in there 70's who have used it to get to work and back and that's it and there job was summer seasonal only so it rarely saw snow keeping the body in good condition.
Before I purchased it, the car sat for a while in the grass ruining the exhaust. The catalytic converter has rusted through but the rest of the exhaust is solid still. The car was so cheap because it could only run for about a half hour and then would die. :o

After testing and working on this site, I found that the capacitors in the computer had ruined the ECU and a new one was about $350 new. I posted on this forum and a great member here offered me everything I felt could be wrong with it for a very reasonable price shipped. I also read a website that I could fix the capacitors and rebuild my original computer. So I ordered the capacitors. Now I have all new parts, and the capacitors to fix my old ECU on there way. Since this issue is such a common problem for these ECU's I decided to just repair the capacitors on the new one before they go bad. I will post pics of that process this week when I get to it.

Excited to turbo the car and modify it. It's starting to get cold in Maine so progress may slow down for a while but when spring hits and I car really rip into it there will be some major changes to the car.

Pre winter plans: New studded snows on the steel wheels , and getting the car mechanically sound power steering and all, and getting a set of rims ready for the spring with tires (Rota Grids), lowered, short shifter, tinted windows, cleaned and shaved engine bay with wire tuck, HID, painted gunmetal grey ( :prayer: colt 45 inspired), rust repair, MOMO racing seats, MOMO steering wheel, MOMO shift knob, MOMO floor mats and custom full exhaust.

Future Plans: Headers, 2step, MSD ignition, Fuel Pressure regulator/fuel rail/fuel pump/fuel lines/bigger injectors, 55mm throttle body and thermo block kit, lightened flywheel, stage 2 clutch kit, light weight crank pully, evo front and rear breaks with ss lines, camshaft, ECU (standalone management system), turbo (fp black), engine internals (pistons, rods, crank), front lip , port/polished head

For electronics, a viper alarm system, alpine touchscreen head unit, kicker subs, infinity speakers

plans may change as time goes on but that is the list of ideas so far

:weedman:

Post subject: Re: 6th Gen Colt
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:23 pm 

please put a location in your profile as per site rules..

looks like u got a nice project going..are you gonna do all the engine work to the stock 1.5?

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:07 pm 

I thought I did put it I guess it just didn't save before.

The plan as of now is build the stock 1.5 but I've also been thinking about swapping something in, as I'm far away from engine work ( gotta get it running right and street legal) I have alot of research to do gas mileage is a huge factor for me so I wana keep it within a decent range mpg wise while still having a fun daily, I'm not looking for a track car or anything just to make it a nice, fun daily.

I'm going to take a few pictures in a moment and post them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:48 pm 

Its a little rough, but for $350.00 its a great investment
here are all the current pictures I have for it, I should be getting it legal and road ready next week, then the modification will begin...

The day I brought it home:

Drivers front stock:

Passenger front stock:

Passenger rear stock:

Drivers rear stock:

Interior drivers side:

Backseat:

Rear:

Greasy old engine bay:

Damaged ECU:

Corossion on capacitors:

Order in for new capacitors:

Old CRX si last car I owned before going dodge/mitsu:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:36 pm 

very nice.. I paid 300 for mine.. it ran but had a rod knock.....and to be honest I wouldnt do any of the engine work u listed above to the 1.5 (which is why I asked)..

lowering it now..then if u swap for a 1.6 or 2.0 motor will change the height as they are heavier motors...

wire tuck is ehh for a stock car lol..but if bored i guess its something to do..

Header... only 1 on a 4 cyl.. but again..not worth the money for a stock motor unless yours is cracked badly.. 2 step on a 1.5 is well..(insert comment here)..

Msd bigger inj..fuel system and fpr are useless imo on a stock 1.5 (total waste of money).. basically all the engine mods you listed are great for the 2.0 turbo motor..waste of time and cash for the 1.5 platform...

best bet..and most fun is to swap the motor to the 4g63 like most of us have done..then go from there.. u will save money cause even if u did it all to the 1.5 u will eventually swap it out anyways cause u will want more power.. it happens to all of us lol.. so instead of doing it 2 times..just do it once.

just my .02... Steve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:15 pm 

Ya I hear what your saying. I have never worked on a Mitsubishi motor before, I grew up with Honda's and stuff so the 1.5 was not a bad motor to build maybe this is not the case with these motors. I just did some research on dsm motors and things of that nature and and the 4g63 looks like a good alternative and I can find those parts around here and slowly build a motor that I can drop in for spring.

I did have a few questions being new to Mitsubishi, my buddy has an Evo 8 and I was wondering if putting the motor transmission and AWD system into one of these is possible without major modification. I did a ls motor in a RX7 before and had to build front to back frame and everything. I don't want to do that with this but this car awd would be a fun weekend rally car. I have seen the Mitsubishi Mirage JDM front bumper and rear bumper. I would like to style it like that and go awd but not if its a major investment. I'm not guessing it would be cheap but I don't want to put 20-30k into awd.

Any basic info would be helpful but I have a feeling I will be building a 4g63 and dropping it in this spring. :rolleyes:

Plus my 1.5 has 285k on it so that work would not be worth the time. I do agree with you there.

I want to paint the car one of three colors: white, forest green, or semi gloss black.

Like I said I want this to be a fun daily that I can maybe track on street days at a local strip up here, and that looks decent.

I am always doing research and making plans so I'm sure from start to finish my plans will change.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:12 pm 

the evo motors are transverse..which means there trans are on the D/S..so it would be tons of work to do.

best bet is get a good 6 bolt 4g63 from a 90-93 talon/eclipse..(usually 200-500 for a good running one if u look around).. put a evo3 16g turbo on it.. some 850 injectors with the fpr..(if u have e85 fuel there)..otherwise 650s should be fine for 91 oct.. and a good tune.. 270-300 hp in these cars are scary fun..only downside is fwd lol..

I hope someone is close by where u are with one who can give u a ride in theres to show u..

there is tons upon tons of info on this site just very time consuming lol..but well worth reading thru.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:36 pm 

I figured it would be more work then this car is worth, so I will just try to find a 4g63 around and build it over the winter. My friend had a 98 gs-t that was really fast so I can only imagine with this car that weighs half that of the eclipse. I'll probablly find a block and head and build it from scratch. A "junk yard" build if you will. I want to get a fp black for it though I love those turbos. :lol:

I wish it could be RWD or AWD but it is what it is, it will still be a fun daily to tune around in.

The only things I can't seem to find online are the Mitsubishi Mirage JDM front and rear bumper. A roof rack for the car ( I ski in the winter and bike in the summer). A full exhaust for the car ( I don't want to custom build one but I will if I have to).

Some topics I could use help on as well that I can't seem to find on this site are on doing front and rear disc break conversion. I know the front has discs but if I can put evo breaks on this and make the front bigger I would like to, I just don't know if Evo breaks bolt up, require a bracket or any modification.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:06 am 

So time has come, tomorrow I should be getting my slew of parts and can finally get the ol girl running right on the 1.5. Then road legal happens, at that point I will be painting the car pre registration. I am going with a winter camo color like this:

I have also found a 6 bolt 4g63 I am going to be buying from Boston from a talon, I will be building it this winter and painting the bay, wire tucking, and swapping the motor in the spring. Pics to come of the motor. I want to find a JDM mirage front bumper but if I can't I will prob. be buying a lip for the front.

I am doing more research on disc breaks for the rear as well to possibly swap next spring.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:05 pm 

Okay I have got the colt running good so far, changed the distributor and it runs fine.

Plans this week starting tomorrow, new coolant temp sensor, new filters(fuel,air,oil), new coolant and oil change, tinted windows, snow camo paint, momo interior, motor clean and scrub, hid kit, and new battery.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:47 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Don't mod the 1.5, go straight to the 4g63t.

They make Megan Racing downpipes that bolt into the proper position, just check them out in the archives and past posts and parts reviews here.
Brakes can be upgraded to the 91-92 GVR4/Diamante dual piston front setup, and if you get fancy with the front hub, and have it machined down a pinch, you can fit the galant rotors on the front - no more captive rotor! You will end up using the GVR4 front knuckles or better yet the Expo knuckles, and yes, there are a bunch of threads here where guys discuss the brake installations from them. Contact 89Mirageman, I think he can still make rear brake adapters to fit the hubs, you would however have to fabricate a small bracket on either side of the rear axle to hold the brake lines in place as they enter the flex sections.

Well, you got her running!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:40 pm 

Car will be on the road tomorrow, she's all insured and now I just need to register it now and I'm having a problem deciding if I should get a vanity plate or not. Some of my cars prior had vanities but idk if I want one I feel it just lets the cops remember you easier.

91crx si, plate : crxtasy
94 del sol si, plate: pwn3d
83 Datsun 280zx turbo, plate: givasum

I was thinking: evo etr

Not sure if its worth the cost because my goal is to make this a rally car.
I'm also leaning away from the snow camo paint and going with the old mopar color plum crazy purple.

I also have an appointment for tint, and have purchased some adjustable coil overs for the vehicle

More updates very soon