4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:49 pm 

Well, I've been out of the dsm world and even car world for about 5 years now. I decided to start a new project. I have been driving a tacoma and they barely need to be maintained let alone worked on or modified....Soooo...here is my new Soon to be 4g63 powered street legal project

I plan to restore it since it has been off road raced for many years and since I am about to dump $ into , Might as well start from scratch and make it perfect.

It currently has 4 wheel disc brakes, nitrogen adjustable suspension, and a nice fuel cell. The wheels are actually gold in the middle as well as the suspension, and there are stickers all over the body. I was playing in photoshopped and accidentally saved it

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:42 am 
The Silent Administrator

That looks like a barrel full of fun!
Hard to insure one of those where you are?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:33 am 
Some call me a god

What is the diameter and wall thickness of the primary structure of the frame?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:45 pm 

Well, I am in Atlanta and use Geico. I spent 40 minutes on the phone with them last week and ended with "we'll give you a call back in 48 hours. It has been a week. So, we'll see.

CSM: its about 2 inch tubing. No idea how thick, although I will soon. I will have not move one of the a section of pipe so the engine will fit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:55 pm 
Some call me a god

Just curious. I am embarking on a motorcycle-engined tube chassis car very soon. Definitely won't see the stresses that an off-road vehicle sees.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:51 pm 

This defiantly looks like a cool project. Is it going to be rwd, or awd? What are your plans when finished, other than a fun street car? If you need any help with the fab part of things, let me know. I am fortunate enough to be apart of a performance/fab shop around Atlanta.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:00 pm 

It will be RWD with the engine sitting just like it would in a regular dsm using a fwd trans. Most of the engine/trans weight will be in front of the rear wheels, so hopefully that will keep it from being a wheelie king. It will be primarily be a street car that Ill take to the drag strip every now and then. I'll first restore the buggy which shouldn't be too big of deal. Then place the engine in and figure out mounts, axles and shifter cables. The shifter cables will be the tricky part I think. Since they will be going in the opposite direction as a dsm. We'll see.

I will def need some custom parts made. It currently has NO gauges at all. So, I plan to use the 1G cluster plus a few other guages. So, I want to make some kind of dash thing.
The axles coming out of the vw bus trans bolt together in the middle. I wonder if I can keep the section that bolt up to the vw hubs and try to make a 1g axle from the trans bolt to the vw axle.

Lots of stuff to figure out.