4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:41 am 
Some call me a god

I am a little sad I cannot continue my land speed project. I think ultimately my heart was bigger than my wallet. While I can afford the sport, it does take away from more important things and life and is just going to take a lot of time and money I just don't think I have the desire for anymore. I love the car and racing, but I just can't wait a few more years before I get to enjoy it. That and I am ready to take the next step in my life, what ever that may be.

So to replace it, I am going to take on another car I have always been super interested in. A RAT ROD.

So here is the new truck I brought home. A 1947 Dodge 1/2 ton. The motor is coming out tonight.

The plan is to stuff all the race car parts into this truck. With a automatic chevy transmission.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:07 pm 
Some call me a god

Hells yeah man! That chassis looks very nice on the exterior, is there rot on the underside?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:19 pm 
Some call me a god

I wish it had more patina, but there is very very minimal rot on the truck. Some bondo, but nothing that is terrible. Totoally a solid truck. Actually very soild. Needs new wood in the bed, or modified to metal. And I am likely going to remove the wood in the cab on the floor and put in sheet metal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:07 pm 
Some call me a god

There is definitely a good amount of petina and then there are just "Rust Rods". The latter are aweful. Not cool at all...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:53 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

This is Great! I Think a 4G63 goes good in old rare cars. I had a 64 rambler 4 door and I was thinking about putting the 4G in. haha.

88 Cummins Suburban
69 Cutlass convertible
78 Arrow G54B Swap, Celeste makeover. (MOD 2016 Veteran)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:42 am 
Some call me a god

Well this truck is not rare, but you just don't see them on the road today. Should be a fun adventure.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:12 am 
Some call me a god

Nice truck! Do you plan to lower it and upgrade the suspension?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:03 pm 
Some call me a god

The front has leaf springs with some perches that were welded very poorly. The rear is just a regular spring over axle leaf. It use to have coil springs, or at least coil helpers. They just cut the coils in half and left the rest in there.

I do plan to lower it. Just not sure how much, but pretty low I think. I need to explore my options for some modern front suspension though. Worst case for the rear to start is go to spring under axle. And maybe install a panhard bar or try and triangulate the rear end with a 3 or 4 link.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:14 pm 
Some call me a god

DSM AWD suspension? :wink: :wink: :wink:

It would look tight with the running boards touching the pavement. Bag it!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:38 pm 
Some call me a god

I am likely not going to do air bags. They are not for me. A DSM suspension would be a bad idea given all the wonderful options that I have available now. I looked closer and the truck was originally a leaf spring front. They just took the stock spring off and put a longer spring on it.

I have no intentions on having running boards. They are not for me either.

I may for now fix the front spring perches and weld them better. Then do a spring under for both the front and rear. That would give me 2-3" up front and 3-4" in the back. Its free so I may try that to keep the budget under control before I get too crazy.

It is official now. The motor and transmission is out. No turning back now.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:31 pm 
CSM Junkie

Solid front alxe would be sweet to keep. But a mustang 2 style would work to. Or caramo also works. They may even make a Corvette front suspension kit. For a rear suspension you could try to fab in a gm 3/4 ton trailing arm suspension.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:55 pm 
Some call me a god

As long as this thing is stable at 120mph I don't care. That and it sits low. I know there are a ton of options, I even thought about the mini coiloves people use on a lot of old hot rods and t-buckets. The solid front axle is pretty easy though. I could even remove a few leaves to get another inch or so.

First things first though. I need to keep working on the chassis harness, removal of 64 years or hacking and start preparing the fire wall to seal all the holes off. Today the fuel tank is coming out as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:20 pm 
Some call me a god

I got the motor out saturday. As well as the transmission. I did some other stuff, but no turning back now. I am going to spend tonight removing more stuff and try and sort out my game plan. Having fun so far. I will post pictures when I get further along.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:05 pm 
Some call me a god

Motor is out. And most of harness has been addressed or removed. Still a little more work there.

Well, I decided to ditch the wood dash and make shift head liner they built. As well as pretty much rip out the entire interior. I am almost done with the interior. Should have that done tonight. Just a few more wires and the fuel tank and I can start sorting out what I want to do with the body.

Found TONS of mouse poop. Not cool. This truck must have sat for ever. Maybe that is why it is in good shape.

Here are some pics. Including the motor going in.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:32 pm 
Some call me a god

Holy effing wow. Was this truck previously owned by Mexicans? I LOVE that custom speaker mount.