4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:42 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 9 Next
 Post subject: Re: '89 Summit LX
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:13 pm 

Any progress with the front brakes? Mainly insterested in seeing if you were able to drill new holes in the knuckles for your adapters. I'm looking at doing something similar and wanted to see how hard it was. My main concern is trying to find a way to drill the holes perfectly straight and in the right spot. Easier said that done for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:02 am 
Some call me a god

Nope, between excessive rain, working, and putting in the oil squirters I have not had the opportunity to mess with the brakes more. I promise there will be pictures when I do!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:19 pm 
Some call me a god

Purchased and began to install new NGK BPR7ES (one range colder than OE turbo plugs) and found that my no-name plug wires were seperating at the plug and at the coil.... They appear to have been doing so for some time too.

So I purchased a set of Duralast plug wires since Autozone no longer sells NGK plug wires. Installed the new plugs and wires and turned up the boost to 15psi. Now the car feels like it should. I am planning to go back to the track this coming Friday to see what it will do now. Hopefully I will have the time between now and then to possibly add a wee bit more boost and check the tune.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:58 pm 
Because Race Car

Wow Shaun, you have really shown people how to get run through a project! Not even a full 2 months and you have already done so much... and made it to the track. Keep up the good work bro! :rock:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:22 pm 
Some call me a god

It is super easy to run through a project when you have a massive parts selection. Literally everything I have used on the Scummit came off my Galant. So the woes of finding and buying parts were not an issue, I simply went to my garage took everything off the shelf and stuck it in a Scummit.

I have considered making an inventory of the parts I have but it would be a waste of a day. I have been playing with DSMs for 10 years now, I basically bought Red Sleeper's collection of Mitsu stuff and I am a pack rat. It is difficult to walk through the garage where I store my parts....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:41 pm 

Well if you need to make room I know someone that could use a few parts to get his project on the road. lol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:44 pm 
Some call me a god

We moved and I do not have the internet for the forseable future as I also was fired from my job....

I did manage to perform a good battery relocation and decided to remove the AC from the car as the compressor did not come on when the switch was turned. I only like AC when it is really hot and I am actually in the car so I said F$#% it and yanked that garbage out.

Some guy in Kentucky was selling a bunch of parts so I bought a fitted 1G intercooler kit and same side in/out intercooler that will be perfect for the Scummit. Pictures will be taken when that is installed on the car.

Also manage to get an awesome looking OE front bumper from a Mirage BUT it has a white trim with red stripe rather than my car's black trim with red stripe. I also am getting four clean doors from Red Sleeper that do not have trim at all so I have been contemplating removing all of the black/red trim and just having an all white car. Pictures will also be taken when the bumper (and maybe a front lip) is installed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:43 pm 

Damn Shaun you know I haven't really had too much time to look at this since you started it but it looks really good bro! I have to admit that I am jealous. This car was really fun to drive when I had it. I have no idea what went wrong with it when Aaron got it back off of me. I called him on the way home to make sure he got home OK and once again, there was another problem. Something electrical? Why is it that I never had any problems with the cars but as soon as I get rid of them something messed up happens? Maybe I am a curse on some cars. Anyway, this thing looks fantastic man. Keep us updated on times and swaps as you go brother. That hatch that I got from Aaron is still sitting on jack stands. It runs now with the 4G63NA but it has the wrong TOB which will most likely be replaced within the next week. Look for videos here soon from it. I hope to see some vids here from your car too.

Caleb 3/17/12 8 lbs 15 ozs 20 inches

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:07 pm 
Some call me a god

ALL of the electrical issues were due to the regulator in the alternator going out and the alternator pushing somewhere around 20 volts through the electrical system. This did eventually lead to the death of an EPROM socketed 1.6L turbo ECU.... Sad face...

I will put up some new pics soon. It has a new FMIC and pipe kit and an entirely new suspension so the stance is way better.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:45 pm 
Some call me a god

Realized that I never put up any pictures of anything that I have done with the car here recently...

Bought a "fitted" 1g TEL front mount kit. The core is a top-bottom same side piece that fits very well. Don't mind how crooked it is in this picture as I just last week ripped the mounts off in a ditch at my garage.

Pretty much everything else that I have recently done can be seen in this pic: intercooler kit, Tein camber plates, ECMLink Speed Density, heat-wrapped intake pipe, intake filter heat shield and I cleaned the engine bay.

Scored these at the local U Pull and Pay. Cannot wait for a nice day to put them on the Scummit.

I did take it to the track one other time with the new front mount, speed density and a boost controller. As expected, the clutch wasn't up to task to handle the might of the 1.6l with a small 16g. HAHA I was running somewhere around 18psi and slowly working with the timing table. Moved the top end up from 17 degrees advanced to 18 and the clutch called it quits. I mustered a whopping 14.1 at 104mph with the tires spinning to all hell in first and second then the clutch spinning in third and fourth. This setup has much more to offer as the IATs were staying flat throughout the entire run and airflow was not falling off or even going flat. The timing is still conservative considering I was running 22 degrees advanced on 9psi with a 2g maf and smoshy intercooler pipes.

Future mods (as soon as I get my recently acquired AWD Summit Vista driving) include a 2100lb ACT clutch with 6 puck sprung disc, KM210 with SlowBoy LSD insert, BC280 cams, BC springs and retainers, side-exit full 3" exhaust, ARP head studs, 8 gallon Jegs fuel cell, 190lph Walbro in-line pump, -6AN fuel lines, equal-length Turbo axles, PTE 56trim and a 2g turbo manifold with a welded-on Tial external wastegate. All of the above parts I have sitting in my basement awaiting the day the sedan isn't my daily driver...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:49 pm 
CSM Junkie

Are those flaps from a sedan? I want a set for my hatch sooo bad.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:35 am 

how much did that hose clamp set you back? those u pull and pay places like to rape you on the small parts lol..

nice find tho.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:51 am 
Some call me a god

These are off a hatch but the holes and mounting hardware line right up with the holes on the sedan.

The hose clamp was free-ninety-five!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:33 am 
Some call me a god

I didnt even realize they said Mirage on them.. I thought they were just blank mud flaps.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:30 am 
Some call me a god

Yeah the backs have mirage on them, the fronts are blank. I considered making a stencil and painting Mirage on the fronts too.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 9 Next